“Luxurious hotel for great price!”

Copenhagen Island Hotel
Ranked #16 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Luxurious hotel for great price!”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Wow, after reading some of the reviews on here, I was hesitant to stay at the Copenhagen Island -- but considering the 82 euro a night price I found on hotels.com and the fact that their parking only cost about 19 euros a day, I chose it anyhow.

So I was very surprised when we found the place to be so lovely! We got a free upgrade at check-in, and ended up in a comfy room with a huge bathroom and a nice view of the river/canal. Honestly, for anyone who has been traveling in Europe for a while, I would say that this hotel far exceeds what is to be expected of most European hotels and reminds me much more of a nice place I would find in the US.

The best parts of this hotel:
1. Modern, clean room
2. Wood floor instead of carpeting (cleaner)
3. Refrigerator for our food
4. Really comfortable bed
5. Huge bathroom with a really nice shower
6. Fitness Center!

It is true that the hotel is a bit far from the center of town - but by "far" it's really about a 20-minute walk, and you can walk along the canal, which is lovely. Also, the hotel rents out bikes, which is the best way to see Copenhagen anyway. Or, you can rent bikes in the city. It's a safe area, surrounded by many businesses and runners/bikers, so it's just fine to walk back from town after a large dinner.
I can see where, if someone is a bit older or has a physical limitation, they might prefer to stay closer to many of the tourist sights. But for anyone else who is planning on walking or biking around a lot, anyway, the location should not be a problem.

Personally, I would gladly take the location if it means I can get such a nice hotel at such a low cost.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
Reviewed July 4, 2009

The hotel is looks good and the location by (or rather in) the water is nice. To bad the surroundings are boring so the 20 min walk to get towards the center of Copenhagen feels like 40 min....

The room (we had a Executive with balcony facing the harbour) was what you might expect for the price.

We stayed two nights and here is a short summary:

* Located in a boring part of Copenhagen.
* The curtains did not block the sunlight! The staff knew about this but "could not do anything about it, sorry". They couldnt provide a blackening eye-mask either, which would have been an easy solution to the problem.
* The minibar was disconnected so we had to call for service.
* The cleaning staff did not clean the wineglasses.
* "Do not disturb" sign to hand on the door knob was missing.
* Only one chair on the balcony. (in an executive DOUBLE room)
* The cleaning staff switched towels despite we did not leave them on the floor and could use them again. If they hotel have a sign i the bathroom that says "We care for the environment, put the towels on the floor only if you want them to be changed", you expect the staff to be familiar with this, but obviously they wasn't.
* The breakfast was rather slim. Expected more.

So if you want to stay by the water away from shops, café and restaurants this is the perfect hotel for you. There is a huge shopping mall ("Fisketorvet") next to the hotel, but if you are interested in the real Copenhagen, this mall is just like any other mall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed July 1, 2009

On a city trip to Copenhagen we booked this hotel after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor
We were not disappointed for the cheap price we paid (weekend rate at 300 euro for 3 nights) and the upgrade room with small balcony we got
Pro’s:
-clean modern hotel,
-nicely located on the border of a big canal at the ‘copenhagen dock’s’
-comfy rooms
-nice and spacy bathroom
-friendly and efficient staff,
-nice view over the water,
Con’s:
-location is pretty far from city center, though you can rent bikes at the hotel and there is a busstop at the shoppingcenter next to the hotel
- access to the hotel is along a dull road next to some train yard
-rooms are small with a rather cheap looking design
-hotel has an empty feeling on weekends (no barscene)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My brother and I stayed here during Easter weekend. ( Please note, this is a horrible time to go to Copenhagen for sightseeing as the entire city is devote of actual Danes and there are limited opening hours at major attractions.) The hotel is absolutely wonderful as it is impeccably clean, has great amenities ( top notch restaurant, gym, and internet access facilities), and above all, the bedding is amazingly comfortable.

Location wise the hotel is 10-15 minutes walking distance from the main train station and Tivoli. The hotel is by no means centrally located but you can catch a bus up to centre if you so choose, we just walked up along the canal/river as it's quite beautiful. Although keep in mind its always easier leaving the hotel rather than coming back to it as you will be exhausted from a day of sightseeing (assuming that is your purpose). It's also a pain if you want to go out in the evenings to dinner or to a bar as you are not in an immediate vicinity of anything worthy, apart from the hotel bar/restaurant and the neighbouring shopping mall.

I would recommend this hotel as it ticks all my boxes apart from location.

• Stayed April 2009
Hurghada
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Black-out Curtains: These do not exist in the rooms. I have paid upon arrival for a superior room upgrade, and got a room on the 5th floor. Then to mine and my wife's surprise the following morning, the curtains do not block out the sun at all! The material is actually not large enough to cover the window. When we asked to move to another room with proper black-out curtains we were passed over from one person to another and got nowhere since our arrival (2 days ago). This morning I called the reception again and said that I need to move immediately, when I was told by the receptionist "There are very few rooms with black-out curtains and they are reserved for Cabin Crew". This is ridiculous and not acceptable. I have taken photos of the curtains and my lawyer will have them soon. We have not slept a day since our arrival!

Room Service: We ordered potatoe wedges, and got soggy, greasy potatoes drenched in oil. I am not a cook, but I can fry potatoes and drain the oil out. When I called room service they said "This is how we make potatoe wedges in Copenhagen". Again, unnaceptable thing to say and certainly not true. I've eaten outside the hotel and can compare.

Staff: Overall very unfriendly and dry, with bad attitudes.

Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We found this hotel great. Very modern and clean, and the design of the place was great. Enjoyed the breakfast and the room was great. Only drawback was the location. We ended up walking to the centre most of the time which took about 25 mins. There are trains which are a 5 min walk away but if you don't have a Copenhagen card, this can get quite expensive for a short trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The hotel is extremely modern looking and the lobby is very clean. The room, also, is very modern looking, though a little on the small side. The side lamps turn on automatically when you get out of bed, and the lights are very bright, so my wife and I used our pillows to cover the sensors ... a very stupid and inconvenient mod-con.

The worst thing though by far was the fact that I asked specifically for a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room. The room smelled like an ashtray. I have never known a room to smell so bad, so bad we had to sleep with the window open, which made the room very cold (cold for my Australian self anyhow). This totally coloured my view of the hotel, and I doubt I would ever return.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple