“Good hotel with great access to all the areas around Copenhagen”

Copenhagen Island Hotel
Ranked #16 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
cheltenham
“Good hotel with great access to all the areas around Copenhagen”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I really liked this hotel. It's not expensive, it's clean and well run with all the staff being very friendly.
Bedrooms are well fitted out with good views across the water. Make sure you get one of these rooms, don't have one that overlooks the front, just railway track and roads to view.
I was not fussed on the bathroom glazing, being open allowed no privacy. Everything was fine, beds good, TV, mini bar etc.
Breakfast was very nice situated on the first floor. If you get in at the right time, find a table at the waters edge in the conservatory restaurant. I took my Ipad down to breakfast as I was first in from our group and had a table in the front overlooking the water. I had 2 hours of bliss just writing and making notes whilst drinking lovely coffee.

Room Tip: Choose the rear of the hotel...Important
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice 4 points on Tripadvisor and for all the lovely comments. The small window in the bathroom wall is designed to make you enjoy the harbour view when you are taking a bath in the tub.
Glad to hear that you got the most out of the spectacular view from the harbour side of the hotel and from our restaurant, The Harbour.
You are most welcome to stay here again if you come back to Copenhagen.
Anne Louise Poulsen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a smart, clean, modern hotel and we found the staff on the Reception Desk to be first class. The stay was marred by just a couple of details; firstly the restaurant was closed to guests on our first night owing to it being booked out in it's entirety for a corporate function. Alternative arrangements had been put in place, but the guest invariably comes out of it second best ... I gather this can be a common occurrence on Friday nights at this time of year so if you are arriving late with no intention other than to grab a meal and 'crash', it might be worth checking in advance. The second issue is purely a personal observation on the hotel design itself - the restaurant and bar areas appear to be an afterthought in that their is no direct route to get to them from the reception area - guests are invited to ascend one floor, traverse a corridor and then go down some steps. Just a bit quirky - or just me being picky... Back to the positives; even though there were no in-room coffee facilities, we thoroughly enjoyed our 'Standard' room - comfortable, chic and sufficiently spacious for a weekend stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
The last Friday in November and the first 2 Fridays in December are typically popular Christmas Event days in Copenhagen. We have 5-6 different groups staying at the hotel and attending the Christmas events and therefore leaving the restaurant fully booked. Since this is the only restaurant we have, we try to have an alternative setting for our other guests and to offer the opportunity for our guests to still have a drink.To access the restaurant from the lobby, you have to take the lift to the 1st floor. This is the way the hotel has been designed from the beginning. From outside you may access the restaurant directly at ground floor.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in your standard room with city view.
We hope to welcome you back.

london
Reviewed December 4, 2013

the reception area of the hotel is stunning , you can see all five levels of the hotel. One area leads to the hotel rooms the other to the conference area and the restaurant.
Normally I believe this hotel merits 3 to 4 stars but when there is a conference only one as it dominates the hotel and other guests lose out
Let me explain - we were booked into the hotel restaurant on our first night. Called the Harbour it's a split level area overlooking the water and provides a cocktail bar, bar menu and a more upmarket restaurant. The restaurant is pricey at some £ 50 per head but the set menu seemed interesting and we were looking forward to it.
The hotel however booked the whole area for a private business function so the only space for hotel guests to have some tea, drinks or eat was no longer available. Instead they set up a conference room.
We had our meal in this conference room, eating off computer tables next to white boards and marker pens and no view of the harbour. The staff were willing but too busy and all we could hear was a motivational speech from the function below, cheering and then their disco.
Its totally unacceptable to treat hotel guests this way and it shows the hotel's priorities are its conferences and those attending not its guests

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neilalexander
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your visit.
have an alternative setting for our other guests and to offer the opportunity for our guests to still have a drink..
We do prioritize all our guests staying in the hotel and do out outmost to give everyone a high level of service
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed two nights at the Copenhagen Island Hotel in November. Am very pleased by the experience I had there, primarily due to the quality of the room. The room was tastefully designed & decored and very well maintained. The moment you walk into the room, you feel welcomed and 'freshness' lightens up the air. That is an experience that is not very common in hotels of this class. And since my room was overlooking the water, couldn't ask for a better view. Perfect!
The breakfast was okay for an additional 150DKK. Juices offered were kind of tasteless; I would go for better quality if I was managing the restaurant there. Also, half way through my breakfast a staff came and asked me if I could move to another table because they were closing down the section I was sitting in! I was surprised, but I politely refused to move. The staff member politely accepted my refusal as well.
The hotel is close to shopping mall Fisketorvet, facing the canal. If you get down the S-train at Dybbolsbro station, it is a 400 metres walk to the door of the hotel. If you choose to walk from Copenhagen Central Station, it is nearly a kilometre walk to the door of the hotel.

Only irritant while staying in the hotel was that every time I took a taxi from Copenhagen Central station, the taxi driver cribbed that he was in the queue for an hour or more and that he got only 'this short trip'. One driver asked me why I could not walk the distance. Another one decided to show his displeasure by driving rash and taking sharp corners at 80 kilometres per hour speed.

I will choose this hotel for stay in Copenhagen next time I am there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will choose us again for your next stay in Copenhagen. Thank you for giving us 4 points on Tripadvisor! We will pass on the comments on the juice and that you were asked to move to another table. Our guests should not be asked to move during their meal. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

The following review was originally removed as non family friendly... I beg to differ....

Nice hotel but a staff member let the place down.
After reading comments on here I decided to pay the extra £20 upgrade, glad I did. Rooms were nice although the door didn't close to the bathroom. Not a private toilet in the room, the wife could see everything I was doing so you may want to go in one of the hotel ones (like I did!) although not as clean and seat was broken.
Breakfast... I paid for the breakfast but nobody checked. Often a large queue of people were waiting. Seats for around 150 people and reminded me of my Air Force days (like a cattle market). Nice food but disappointed with the bacon and no beans. The worst part was a staff member who SWORE in front of me, a lady and a CHILD while loading a fresh hot bowl of bacon! (The staff member was a guy with a red tie) although the rest of the staff at the breakfast tables were very good.
Location... It is a five minute walk across a bridge to the 1A bus which cost 45DKK per person each way. Be careful with the Danish people on the bus, they don't wait to get on and push ladies trying to get off. If you want to walk then it is closer to 30mins to the center. Take good walking shoes, lots of cobbled streets.
Staff... Mostly good but not the guy with the red tie who lost a point on this review.

To the manager,
I know you will come out with an answer for this where we can't respond, in which case I will respond to your expected answer now, this review is a fair reflection on our visit. I am always fair and say when a good job was done (the reception ladies and the other breakfast people did well) I praise more than give bad reviews but having a supervisor that swears in front of children is not acceptable and on that note I will not stay here or recommend this hotel (which is a shame or I would have given at least a four) I will happily email your office if you request any further question.

Manager: update from your earlier message.
I saw your reply and I do hope the person in question has been reprimanded. I would not want my child hearing that language at breakfast. Like I mentioned, this person let your hotel down which was a shame as it is nice with the harbour view.

So please tell me why this was removed? It is a completely fair and honest review.

• Stayed November 2013
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
We have indeed taking the proper action with regards to the incident in the restaurant.
As your review had characteristics which made the involved member of our staff recognizable, we have decided not to have this published anymore. We are convinced that such an episode will not occur again.
Anne Louise Poulsen, General Manger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was surprised with a trip to Copenhagen for my 21st Birthday which included a two night stay in this hotel. I was very apprehensive about what the hotel would be like as due to it being a surprise I had read no reviews about it, however once I had arrived my fears vanished.

We were greeted by a lovely member of staff on the reception desk who showed us a map of Copenhagen including where the Christmas markets were and the best way to walk around the city. I could not fault the bedroom at all and even though we were at the front of the hotel overlooking the road, the noise was no nuisance at all. Breakfast had a wide range of choice from fresh fruits, meats, breads and pastries to bacon, sausages and eggs.

Although the hotel is located about a 15 minute walk from the main station this was not a problem for us. If this does worry people, there is a station 5 minutes walk from the hotel where you can catch a train into the city centre. The shopping centre next door is great for grabbing a well priced meal or for stocking up on Christmas presents (Pandora was a favourite of mine!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for giving us a top score on Tripadvisor! It is a pleasure to read your review. We are glad that we lived up to your expectations – and more!
We hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to Copenhagen.
Anne Louise Poulsen, General Manager.
Ludhiana, India
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Good location, neat contemporary interiors, prompt and polite service that is how I would like to define my opinion of this hotel. Its only 15 minutes walk from the center of the city and that too by the canal. The hotel is a little expensive given the size of the room, but I believe its fine by Copen Hagen standards. The facilities breakfast was great and the free Wi Fi was a great advantage. There is a nice Shopping Mall next door which offers great dinning options.

Room Tip: Canal side is the best option
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for all your positive comments on your hotel stay. Thank you for giving us 4 points on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear that you chose to stay in a room facing the harbour side. We hope to welcome you back again.