“Home from home even for a pessimistic guest!”

Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I travel two weeks a month for business and stay in a variety of hideously boring / "not up-to-standard of my own home cleanliness" hotels all over Scandinavia, Spain and Portugal and this was a breath of fresh air! Such kind staff, had a great chat withe the friendly gentleman on the front desk he made me feel right at home. Breakfast all organic GOODNESS !! breads yoghurts wholesome just what i crave when travelling away from home.

Location was handy for me driving out to my appointments in Glostrup as it wasn't right in the centre.

I will definitely be booking to stay again! And at under 100EUR and a free double room upgrade it was way under my 150EUR business hotel expense allowance so I could treat myself to a hefty Thai at the organic Wok take-away next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cassandra O
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Cassandra O

I much appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Your review highlights exactly what are our core philosophy is - good old fashioned hospitality.

I am pleased to learn that you will revisit us, and look forward to hosting you yet again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is the only hotel I have stayed at in Copenhagen, so I don’t have any local place to compare it to.

However, I believe sincere, courteous service should be available globally. Unfortunately that is not the case here. The guy at reception has an air of aloofness and insincerity. We turned up with two large suitcases. Not once was any offer of assistance made. The entrance to the tiny lift is up a flight of stairs, the same guy watched myself and my girlfriend struggle up the steps hauling our own luggage.

The room was old and claustrophobic the bathroom just adequate. It is located on a main street which is not exactly in the most upmarket end of town.

Obviously I must have different requirements to those who have posted great reviews about this place, I don’t get it.

The whole experience could be described as awkward and unimpressive and the guy at reception should be sent to ‘Hospitality 101’ class.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sakubona
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Sakubona

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your views of your stay with us - back in May 2012.

It surprises me to read that your experience varies so much from others that have stayed with us, and even more so that you wait 1 year to post a review.

I will not make assumptions on your behalf, but 25 years of industry experience leads me to believe that you had expectations which were over and above what we can deliver on, which in turn results in this review.

Should you have required assistance with your seemingly heavy luggage - which seems to be your main issue - you could have requested it. It also leads me to wonder how you got it off the baggage belt at the airport ?

Should you wish to elaborate further on your experience, you are more than welcome to send me an e-mail - the details of which can be found on our website.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant.

I remain

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Staff is kind and support you in any requests. Strategic location nearby downtown (you can reach it thorugh bus) and other attractions. We didn't have breakfast because we though was too pricy.(Nearby you can find a great bakery: Musik conditioner). Public spaces are big and comfortable. Overall: great place to stay

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Paolo C
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Cunip

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to conclude that your stay with us lived up to your expectations. The time you have used to post a review so that others can share your experience with us is greatly appreciated.

Once again thank you.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a weekend in Copenhagen, and we stayed at Bertrams Hotel. The hotel is within walking distance (1km maybe) of the centre of Copenhagen so very convenient. You can catch a bus into the centre if you want to, just outside the hotel, but we always walked in.
We really liked the hotel, and would return - the owner and other staff make you feel at home from the moment you walk in, they are so friendly and welcoming, and speak excellent English.
The decor is lovely, a bit wacky in places, but charming. The smellies in the bathroom are organic, local and natural (and lovely) and the four poster bed we had was amongst the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in, with a lovely duvet/pillows that were like crisp clouds. The shower was great - loads of hot water and powerful.
We had a room facing the courtyard which was quiet - we had booked a street view room, but the hotel "upgraded" us to a courtyard room on arrival (thank you!). The room was fairly compact but it had everything you might need in it. The safe was locked shut when we arrived but that was fixed immediately when we enquired about it.
Now the breakfast......what can I say! I just loved it. The yoghurt is out of this world - thick, creamy with vanilla. A dollop of that with some home made granola, lovely fruit salad, almonds in honey (bliss), my perfect breakfast. Hot items were available (and cold meat/cheese/fish etc) which I did not try but my partner enjoyed these. There was a fabulous selection of bread and rolls also with homemade jams etc.
We had a couple of drinks in the hotel too - the drinks are organic and the wine and beer we drank was delicious.
If you want to stay somewhere a bit different away from the chain hotels, and you want somewhere that is doing its best to be ecologically sound, and organic, then stay here, we are so glad we did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank king_alfie
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear king_alfie

It is with great pleasure that I read your review, as it is a true reflection of the type of user experience we wish our guests to have.

We pride ourselves in offering good old fashioned hospitality, based on operating with respect for sustainability and an organic lifestyle.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to enlighten other readers, and do hope that we have the opportunity to wish you welcome again.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Nice room on 4 th floor, one of larger I think. Very comfortable bed, pillows, duvet etc. fairly quiet - a little bit of noise from a night-club on the Sat night. Delicious breakfast - almonds in honey make the excellent granola and fruit salad really nice. No calpucinos/espressos but good filter coffee.

• Stayed: March 2013
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear bbgraham0

It pleases me to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that one of our (residential) neighbors held a party, which disturbed you - there is no nightclub in the vicinity.

I am also pleased that you conclude with complimenting our breakfast, where I personally have selected our organic suppliers and the products we serve.

I remain

Nikolas HALL - owner

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is wonderful. It has a homely feel, which usually is very rare in Copenhagen. It doesn't affect the quality of the place - the rooms are nice and surprisingly quiet despite it's center location. The breakfast is wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kasperkeller
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear kasperkeller

Thanks for posting a review of your stay with us - despite it being some time ago. The effort and thought are greatly appreciated.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Bertram's hotel is a great place to go to relax and feel at home. From the minute we arrived, Niklas, his wife and staff were completely friendly and helpful. The decor of the hotel creates a very homely and relaxing atmosphere. Everyone speaks English which is great, as my Danish is non-existent. Some reviewers have commented on the hotel's location being outside of the centre of town. This is correct, however it takes less than 10 minutes on foot to reach the centre of town, and its straight down the road that the hotel is located on. If you don't feel like walking, the bus stops on the doorstep. The central railway station is located between Copenhagen's shopping district and Bertram's hotel. The rooms are small (which all European rooms are), but very well appointed and comfortable. There were quite a few English speaking TV stations (cable TV) as a lot of popular American shows are broadcast in English with Danish subtitles. It was very nice to return to the hotel after a day's wandering around the city. Perhaps the most memorable aspect of Bertram's Hotel was the breakfast buffet every morning. Lots of traditional Danish food such as fish (salmon, herring etc.) as well as breakfast cereal, eggs, and some of the best bread I've ever tasted. Tea and coffee are available throughout the day, as well as alcoholic beverages. Overall Bertram's hotel was terrific value for money and I would definitely recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor wth a street view. Very little traffic noise as the windows are triple...