“A low rating......?”

GreenLeadersBronze level
toronto, on
“A low rating......?”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Having read through a number of other reviews, I was intrigued to the owner's responses to them all... so can't wait to read what he has to say to mine???
Basically this is a very nice property, however, the reception I received was less than welcoming
(is that because I am from N. America??). The elevator was broken, and even though I am a senior citizen (maybe you have more respect for the environment that you do for your elders?)
no offer was made to help me with my luggage; fortunately two English guests took pity on me and carried it up to the 4th floor!
I could not get over that any question I asked of the owner was responded to in a most pompous fashion - maybe he was intimated by our English accents!
I thought the room was very nice and well-appointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank graciesmum
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear graciesmum

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you - prior to your arrival - have taken the time to evaluate our property and it's reviews on this site.

My staff and myself do not discriminate on age, sexual orientation, origin or skin colour, and expect our guests to respect us and our environment in the same manner we do them.

It does however surprise me that you choose to play on the role of an helpless senior citizen, capable of travelling the world. Had you asked for assistance - we would have assisted. You carried your baggage off the conveyor belt at the airport, why should we assume that you require assistance. Assumptions can lead to many a misunderstanding.

Having the English language as my mother tongue gives me no reason to feel intimidated by your english accents. The assumed pomposity of my respons to your questions might have had to do with the manner in which one was questioned - touché madame.

Should you wish to elaborate on this review, please feel free to contact me by e-mail, my details are readily available on the website.

I trust that your Copenhagen trip was otherwise pleasant and that your senior citizen status did not prove to be of great challenges.

Nikolas HALL - Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Copenhagen
Reviewed September 28, 2012

and it is almost like being at home. The owners are friendly and they remember me, they have often been helpful with this or that trouble that frequent travellers like me encounter. The organic breakfast is very good, albeit quite expensive. The lovely courtyard is a pleasure on sunny days, not that there are so many of those in Copenhagen. The rooms are bascially immaculate, good showers, and free internet - all things I appreciate very much. Not actually in the center, more like a good 10 minute walk away - the area is very "ethnic", maybe not the most comfortable street to walk on alone late at night, although I have never been bothered I do know people who have. Plenty of fabulous, cheap, "exotic" restaurants in the area, also an upscale supermarket nearby with some ready-to-eat stuff. The bus stops just outside the hotel. I really do like this place.Do note that the elevator stops between floors - can be annoying with heavy luggage.

Room Tip: I like the "double superior" rooms- with a small balcony - just to get some fresh air - t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank otdol
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear otdol

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your many stays with us.

Your review and like so many before sums up what we are all about. I am happy to see that you point out that we are off the beaten path, but that this is not a hinderance to enjoying some of the many local facits.

Our elevator is a challenge - YES - a not too well thought out installation many years ago that is extremely costly to change. On the positive side it works.

Looking forward to hosting you on your next Copenhagen Trip

Riga, Riga, Latvia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Looking for a hotel in Copenhagen my tour agent proposed for Guldsmeden - not traditional and big, but pretty nice walking distance from central train station. Why would I always use hotels of traditional names ... First - entering my a bit assimetric room , hmm, I was - surprised a bit, but ok - why rooms always should be square...No time to explore much. But one thing that really surprised me next morning was a really good feeling after night sleep - crispy beddings, wonderul pillows and silence...where am I? Organic, enviroment friendly shower gel, shampoo, even towerls. Next - breakfeast in wonderful breakfast room with nice dishes. All furniteure comes from Bali. And my sincere compliments to owners - its not only business, but wellcoming and enviroment oriented thinking that made this Hotel very special. Its a place I can recommend to people who are looking not for names, but something personal, different, original and enviroment friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dace M
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Dace M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Your review clearly indicates that you appreciate the efforts we put into operating Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden, and the fact that we are not a mainstream hotel.

Thanking you again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Enjoyed my stay at this Copenhagen Hotel for two nights. It is a very good value for a hotel in what is one of the most expensive cities to visit according to Travel + Leisure. It is a 15-20 minute walk from the central station in a edgier/more residential.non-touristy neighborhood, but there is a bus right outside the door. There are many ethnic restaurants and small shops and markets nearby. You can also grab a cab (though pricey) to restaurants or museums. I really liked the decor and my room was perfect with a small balcony overlooking the garden in the back. I thought the breakfast room was really attractive with a great buffet in the morning of fruit, cereals, breads, rolls etc. The staff could not have been more helpful including Nikolas the owner who had some great restaurant suggestions and was helpful in ordering cabs etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back overlooking the patio and garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Daer Globalphile

Thank you for posting a review our your recent stay with us.

Your review like so many others draws the readers attention to what we are all about - hospitality.

Thanks for pointing out that Copenhagen is an expensive city - not only for visitors but also run and operate a business in.

Best of luck with your future travels.

Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed two days in August- weather was unusually hot ,hotel has no A/C but with portable fan and open patio door we slept O.K.( hotel upgraded us to a balcony room )faced rear patio- quiet. Elevator small- can barely handle two people and two pieces of luggage; also elevator stops on landings in - between floors so you have to carry your luggage up or down stairs. Breakfast not included -$24 CDN. each - we did not buy. On both evenings I went down to lobby for two coffees for our rooms - no coffee or tea in room or lobby- but person at reception desk got me coffee from kitchen ( not fresh-in carafe ). At check out time we find the four coffees on our bill at $5 CDN. each ( lady at desk stated coffee is only complimentary if you purchase the breakfast.) We paid the bill and left the hotel with a bad taste _ anything good we had to say about the hotel was overshadowed by this punitive policy .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear 814richard

Thank you for your review of your stay with us in August.

Positive feed back and constructive criticism are appreciated.

We do not have airconditioning and will not have airconditioning in the future - as this goes against our policies of environmentally friendly operations. North Americans - and I am generalizing - do not seem to respect the environment in the same manner that we do.

Our rates do not include breakfast, and this is clearly visible prior to making your reservation. Alternatives to our breakfast are available in nearby cafés, at similar rates to what we offer.

We do not offer complimentary beverages, or have ever indicated that we do so, and it therefore surprises me that you mention that you have to pay for coffe that you have ordered.

I would like to sum up on the reviews that I have received this summer, and note that the vast majority of those containing a negative tone come form North Americans who obviously have not researched my property and the services that we render, and come expecting allot more than what we offer. We are a simple 3 stared property offering good old fashioned hospitality based on European values and with a strong focus on environmentally friendly and sustainable operations.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant.

Camarillo,CA
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very disappointed with this hotel. Room was very small and bathroom was so tiny that there was hardly enough room to move about. Very few amenities; two thin towels,no washcloths and no tissues. The cost was very high for value received. Most of the other hotels we stayed at in Europe were much nicer, far less expensive and included breakfast in their price. Here breakfast was extra. There was no feeling of warmth from the management whatsoever. I would not recommend this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Look for specials on hotel.com
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica G
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Jessica G

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

It does not come as a surprise that you use this site to express your views. However considering the liberties you took during your stay it surprises me that you should be so critical.

You booked a street side room, and because of the duration of your stay we provide you with a garden side room as a courtesy - No thank you for this. Our complimentary fruit supply was something you thoroughly enjoyed, as was the liberty you took by sleeping in until 5 PM when check out was at 11.

I do find it saddening that there are a few individuals like yourself who have difficulty in commanding what is commonly known as polite behavior.

The vast majority of reviews posted on this site by other clients seem to differ in opinion.

I hope that you trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel was good enough for us. It is a child-free property, which may be a boon for some. The interior décor was lovely, service good enough and the rooms were absolutely fine (although the bathrooms were minuscule!). The double-glazing is fantastic at cutting street noise, although it could be a problem in the summer when the nights are hot.

In terms of location, it's a bit far out in Vesterboro along the Vesterbrogade, 20 mins amble to the central station and 30 mins to Tivoli and beyond. Buses are frequent and right outside the property.

Breakfast was a fantastic spread set in a home kitchen setting, although we made the mistake of not realising that it was not included in the room rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fael
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Fael

Thank you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

You open and honest feedback is appreciated.