“Wonderful small, friendly hotel”

Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I reserved a single superior room, and stayed 3 nights in room 406, a comfortable room with a small balcony, facing the courtyard. This is a smaller hotel, with a limited staff who are very friendly and quickly get to know you--definitely a more personal level of service than in the big hotels. The staff were fluent in English, and also spoke Scandinavian in a way that non-Danes could easily understand.

Located at the interior corner of the building, the room had a slightly strange layout, with a long narrow area leading to the main room, making it feel smaller than it really was. In the entrance area there was a wardrobe, which also housed a refrigerator and mini-bar, and some bookshelves. The corridor had a desk with chair and a separate relaxing chair. The bedroom had a four-poster bed and a small, but plenty viewable, flat-screen TV, as well as doors to the balcony, where there was a table and 2 chairs. The decoration was very nice, though not typical Scandinavian. The balcony doors let in plenty of air to cool the room in the evening, without any significant noise from the courtyard area. Judging from the escape plan on the door, the neighboring rooms had more open layouts, that probably would be more suitable for two people, but this one was quite comfortable for one (and I had reserved a superior *single*).

The bathroom could use a little more space on which to set things, both near the sink and in the shower, and the shower could benefit from a curtain or door to help keep the floor dry. Otherwise, the fixtures all worked well, it was very clean, and the water pressure and temperature for the shower were good and quite stable (especially for an older building). The shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel are in full-sized bottles like you'd use at home, rather than the small ones typical in hotels; this certainly cuts waste, and I saw no reason to object. I also found them to be quite nice, and even considered purchasing some, but these days flying with large containers of liquids can be tricky.

I suspect their breakfast would be very good, but I never got to trying it. Free wifi is a nice touch that more hotels should consider, and it worked well for me in the lobby and in my room. The ground floor has a very nice area for sitting, whether to talk, use your computer, read (there's a selection of papers, I think including some English-language ones in addition to the Danish ones), or just enjoy a drink.

It is an older building, so the wooden floors sometimes creak, and not everything is shiny new, but noise was never a problem, and the fact that the building is not a modern chain hotel is part of the hotel's charm. The elevator seems to have been an afterthought, and it opens up a half floor up from the floors, so you have to walk up 8 stairs or so to enter it, and then either up or down about that many stairs after leaving it; I wouldn't see this being a problem unless stairs are very difficult for you, and I'm sure the staff would help with luggage.

It's not smack in the center of Copenhagen's attractions, but it is walking distance for most people. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the train station and the start of the main tourist areas (Tivoli, Rådhuspladsen, and the start of Strøget). There are also frequent buses on Vesterbrogade, and it is convenient by taxi as well.

Mostly, it was the cozy feel and the friendly staff that made this a great choice for me.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank srh1377
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

Dear srh1377

Thank you for taking the time to describe in great detail your views of our property from your recent stay with us. This allows other TripAdvisor readers to get a first hand view from another TripAdvisor reader.

You draw readers attention to a number of points, all of which strengthen my belief that we are on the right track in offering good old fashioned hospitality.

There are also some small points - like the lack of bathroom curtains - which we are in the process of implementing as part of our general upkeep of the property.

It's a pity that you did not have the opportunity to sample our organic breakfast buffet, but I am sure that if you return, this will be on your to do list.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden gets it right, down to every little detail. The lovely, relaxing environment and friendly, caring staff made my stay entirely comfortable, easy and smooth. I arrived 3 hours before check-in and they managed to get me into my room almost immediately, despite having been a full house the prior night. My superior single room had a nice view, a fantastic bed and bed linens (I slept exceptionally well.), a soothing bathtub and windows that opened for fresh air. Any time I had a specific need, the staff created a solution. It was quiet for the most part, especially during sleep hours - impressive in a busy neighborhood. (Though one evening there was a music/theatre rehearsal next door.) The organic, mostly homemade breakfast was truly amazing - beautiful, delicious and highly nourishing. I will definitely return. In fact, with a business trip to Copenhagen coming up, I'm considering extending my stay with my husband so we can enjoy a romantic weekend at Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden. Thank you!

Room Tip: It was absolutely worth the reasonable extra cost for a superior room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank HLEC
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear HLEC

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am sure that other TripAdvisor readers will appreciate your opinion.

You point out our attention to details, which we find to be an integral part of our focus on delivering good old fashioned hospitality. It's a difficult task, but most definitely made easier, when you have staff who strive to full fill their role as host / hostess.

Thank you again, we look forward to hosting you and your husband sometime in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Very nice organic, buffet style breakfast with lovely bespoke crockery. Lots of choice & beautifully presented.
The room was just charming with a high ceiling, wooden floor & interesting pieces of furniture. The four poster bed was perfect - have travelled far & wide but it will be hard to forget this one....

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank MaggsandMe
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Dear MaggsandMe

Hitting the nail on the head with regards to providing good hospitality is an increasingly difficult task. Myself and my staff aim at getting it right, and sometimes it does entail a swollen thumb.

Your comments regarding your recent stay with us are straight and to the point, enlightening other readers of what we have on offer.

The value of your feedback as an experienced TripAdvisor contributor, seems to add a bit more weight.

Once again thank you.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Bertrams Hotel is located not far from the city center. Truthfully, it doesn't make much of a difference that we weren't right in the center of town. Copenhagen is a relatively small city. It is very easy to walk and bike around.
My room was a superior double room. I loved the clean and yet interesting decor of the room. I also had a nice terrace. I had no noise issues at all.
The bath products are all organic and smelled so nice that I didn't use my own products during my stay there. This hotel would be my first choice for my next trip to Copenhagen.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Wanderlust2411
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear Avivant

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us, allowing other TripAdvisor readers to get a first hand point of view.

Hospitality for me & my staff is all about attention to our guests needs - the small things.

Being a little off city center is also a great advantage for us, as it allows our guests to see life in Copenhagen from a non-tourist view.

Happy to read that you loved our toiletries.... also organic.

Looking forward to hosting you again, should your journeys allow you to pass through Copenhagen.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Lovely hotel, marvelous breakfast, very kind and helpful staff.
We like to come again

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear UWM_11

Thank you fro taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us, and I am sure that other TripAdvisor readers will appreciate your honest and open feedback.

Your comments, as with others on this site, underline what we are are all about - good old fashioned hospitality.

It is clear that our focus on this, has really paid off, and is highlighted by the positive reviews praising our service.

Once again thank you, and hope that we - myself & my staff - have the opportunity to host you or your friends in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed two nights before our cruise, and one night after. The rooms are beautifully decorated, calming, comfortable, and very roomy. The beds were quite comfortable.
We really enjoyed being able to sleep with the windows open-since we are from Arizona, the cool breezes were priceless.
We found the breakfast to be superb! It is an amazing offering, in the European style. Certainly one can find less expensive food within walking distance, but, the quality of everything at the hotel, the real comfort of the breakfast room, and the BEST freshly ground coffee I have had in years, make the price of the breakfast worth every krone.
The hotel is within walking distance of the city center, and, in fact, we walked to a number of the outlying parks and castles. The city is very easy to navigate, the taxis, when needed, are reasonably priced, and everyone we met was very pleasant and helpful.
We would go back in an instant!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower if you don't like tubs with hand-held showers!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wkdwtchdr

Dear wkdwtchdr

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay(s) with us.

We do have many pre & post cruise stays every summer, and it's always great to have returning visitors.

You highlight our breakfast - thanks - and it is a selection of handpicked quality products which makes it a healthy, high standard, and absolutely YUMMY breakfast.

As you point out, we are a little bit of the beaten path, but this also gives you an insight of the real Copenhagen, how Copenhagener's reside, shop & dine.

I hope that your journeys will sometime bring you back to Copenhagen, where we can have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Nikolas HALL - owner

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed at the Bertrams during a business trip with colleagues. The hotel is very small and quirky, situated on a busy thoroughfare but we had rooms at the back of the hotel that were very quiet and comfortable. Two outstanding features at this hotel: the super nice and helpful staff, especially Adam at the front desk, who went out of his way to make us feel at home and the beds, which are very comfortable and guarantee you a good night's sleep. The breakfast is not gargantuan but more than adequate (buffet style) and if the weather allows it, the little garden at the back is definitely the place to rest after a busy day or in the afternoon.
I recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room at the back
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear LisaK_511

Thank you fr taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am happy to see that your review is based on a business trip to Copenhagen.

We at the Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden strive to provide good old fashioned hospitality, making you - our guests - feel in good hands.

As many other reviewers also point out - it's the homely feeling together with the personal service that makes the difference.

Adam, myself and the rest of my staff look forward to hosting you again.

Nikolas HALL - owner