Copenhagen Backpackers
Copenhagen Admiral Hotel(Copenhagen)
$499
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon roomcentral stationbed mixed dormrent a bikeshower roomlounge areaperfect locationenjoyed my staybunk bedsstayed nightsrooms are smallyour luggagenice breakfasttivoli gardensprivacycurtainshostel
Reviewed May 5, 2014

When I was stayed in the hostel last day, I found out that my money was stolen, I told to the reception, but they did not take any responsibility for it! They just said' You can go to the police office by yourself.' If my money was stolen on the street, I should go to the police office by myself, but my money was stolen in the hostel! They just said' Here is Denmark.'
When I lived in other country's hostel, they provided safe deposit box, 24 hrs reception and key chip for entry who live in the room. But when I checked in, I found out that the hostel without room entry security, therefore anyone can go inside the room! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOSTEL!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Frances0258
CopenhagenBackpackes, Ejer at Copenhagen Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

We are very sorry for your loss of belongings and your bad experience.

We have discussed security issues throughly as well as pros and cons, and decided to establish a quiet and friendly place without cameras and eye scanners everywhere. However our guests have to enter two separate and locked doors to enter our hostel. The doors can only be opened with a unique chip (only guests and staff have chips – lost chips gets deactivated immediately) and we are 24 hours staffed.

At each dorm room we have lockers where you can lock up valuables with a padlock and if needed we have a safe where we can keep your things.

When the unfortunate happens and things get stolen, the procedure in Denmark is to contact the police to have a report made that is mandatory for possible insurance claims. Our staff did help you to get in contact with the police and therefore any ideas to improve our procedures are very welcome.

Once again we are sorry for you bad experience!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Location really 5 min walk from trainstation which is convenient. Rooms are handy with a curtain over each bed to give you some privacy and darkness to have a good nights rest. Service is the best, staff is really warm and welcoming!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 15, 2014

"Cosiness" or "hygge" is a big part of Danish culture, and you certainly get a taste of it with this hostel! Copenhagen Backpackers is very conveniently located just outside the train station in a block of flats which is tucked away. The rooms are small (if there's more than one of you trying to get ready in there it becomes very small!!) but I loved having the curtains across the beds so you could shut yourself away if you want (might've been nice if there was an easier way of pinning these back).

The breakfast is great, option of a few cereals and then cheese/meets/jam with some absolutely wonderful warm homemade bread. At a reasonable price as well if you book the night before.

The common area is probably the best part of the hostel. With the sofa, wooden tables, low lighting and candles to add to that cosy feeling. Certainly made me want to stay out of my room to sit in here and curl up with a book or chat with fellow travellers.

They've got a lot going for them here and I thoroughly enjoyed my short stay, and would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2014

There are a lot of great things that can be said about Copenhagen Backpackers hostel, but during my two night stay here I felt that some aspects of the hostel could do with a bit of improvement, so I will break down my review into sub-sections...

Experience with the booking system (3/5):

It is important to be aware when booking this hostel via sites such as Booking.com that there is a separate one-off 50 DKK charge for bed linen. Whilst this information can be found on Booking.com (the site I used to book the hostel) and I was aware of it when booking, it might be overlooked by other people not used to paying separately for bed linen as it was not stated as clearly as it could have been (booking via the hostel website is better in this respect) . Including bed linen in the price of the room would avoid the potential for confusion.

Also, if you would like to book breakfast, doing this via Copenhagen Backpackers will cost you 45 DKK per breakfast, whereas Booking.com charged me 55 DKK and then this information wasn't passed through to the hostel's booking system so I had to explain that I actually did book breakfast when arrived (the staff sorted this out, though). You actually don't need to book breakfast online - just make sure you pay for your breakfast at least one day in advance when at the hostel (i.e. as soon as you check in) to benefit from the lower 45 DKK rate (rather than 60 DKK if bought on the day). All of this doesn't appear to be the hostel's fault, though, so you might be better off booking through the hostel directly.

Location (5/5):

Copenhagen Backpackers hostel is very conveniently located right opposite the main railway station with direct, frequent train links to Copenhagen Airport (~15-20 minutes) and to Malmö in Sweden (~35 minutes). Tivoli Gardens and the city hall are only a short walk away, with the rest of the city centre also being easily accessible by foot or bike. Furthermore, since the hostel is situated at the back of an inner courtyard, it is also relatively quiet considering its central location (although it can get noisy at night if hostel guests hang around outside in the inner courtyard outside the hostel and your dorm window is facing that way).

Cleanliness and friendliness/helpfulness of staff (5/5):

Very clean hostel, up there with the best I've stayed at. The staff are very friendly, helpful, make you feel welcome and will look after your luggage if you arrive early/leave late. The lightbulb above my bed needed replacing and as soon as I asked whether this would be possible, the job was done!

Facilities (4/5):

I stayed in a 6-bed dorm which was rather small but although it would have been nice to have a bit more space, it didn't feel cramped. Lockers are available - bring your own lock or buy/hire one at reception. The bunk beds were comfy and each bed had curtains for privacy which is a great idea, although it would have been nice if these were put on a railing so they could be retracted if/when desired (as I have experienced in a previous hostel). A small shelve above each bed (most hostels I stayed in had this) as well as window blinds might also have come in handy, but I am probably being a bit picky here!

The common room/dining area is excellent though and indeed has a very 'hygge' (cosy) atmosphere with plenty of candles creating the perfect ambience and a good free Wi-Fi connection. The wooden tables and benches also created an authentic Scandinavian feel!

There are two toilets and three showers which are nice and clean but can get rather busy in the mornings so expect to queue during peak times. An additional toilet would certainly have been preferable although there probably isn't enough space for this.

Breakfast (4/5):

For breakfast you can get to choose from freshly home-baked organic bread with ham/cheese/jam/butter toppings, a selection of cereals, juice, tea and coffee. The bread is certainly tasty and highly recommended and if you benefit from the reduced 45 DKK breakfast price, the breakfast is actually reasonably priced, especially by Copenhagen standards where most eating out is often very expensive!

Summary:

Overall Copenhagen Backpackers is a great hostel to stay at and although it could do with a few improvements, I would certainly recommend staying here, especially because of its unbeatable location. It appears that this hostel is relatively new and therefore still has the potential to evolve.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Fedir K
Reviewed April 10, 2014

That was a hell of an experience: moving to Copenhagen I happened to stay for three weeks at the hostel and guys, I tell you, after finding home I didn't want to leave for my new place.
I felt like being home: a place where people are warm and the atmosphere is relaxing and make you feel part of a family.
The staff is always available for anything you may need, even some pleasant chats and a couple of jokes.
It is not a huge hostel: at the most there could be forty people at a time, just enough for meeting someone cool to pend a nice evening with, but not so many to be noisy and confused: the common area are more like your own big living-room.
The facilities are simple, they work perfectly and they are just enough for what you need. I didn't miss a thing for three weeks. The place is also very clean and ordered.
And, by the way, besides being in a perfectly central location, it is also located next to a huge sport centre with an amazing swimming-pool area.

Seriously, this hostel is fantastic. Nothing is missing. The only person complaining for something that I met in 21 days of stay was a guy too afraid of his shadow for closing the window in his own room at night: he complained because the windows was open (and yes, he was chinese).

And finally: the staff is really friendly. And the owners too. (not that you'll see a difference)

Looking forward to leaving Copenhagen so to be able to re-visiting it again staying at the backpacker hostel.

Cheers,