“Phenomenal Durums and NY Style Pizza”

Restaurant Tio Marios
Reserve with
Restaurant Tio Marios is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 2,378 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Inner Oesterbro
Neighborhood: Inner Oesterbro
Baltimore, Maryland
“Phenomenal Durums and NY Style Pizza”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First and foremost, this restaurant is probably better geared toward Americans living in Denmark who are missing a taste of home or looking for some truly amazing durums vice a must-see for anyone visiting Copenhagen. Tio Mario's pitches itself as an Italian restaurant with a considerable selection of pizzas and some other obligatory Italian dishes. Most of the default pizza menu has some odd combinations that most Americans won't recognize, however in all my experiences they'll happily let you craft your own pizza. The pizzas are pretty consistent with New York style and can easily be folded with just the right mix of dough/sauce/toppings. The calzones are solid but again the options are cheese and ham/cheese. They'll let you choose your own if you ask for different ingredients. I was a fiend for mushrooms and bell peppers. The reason I frequented this place however, was disproportionately in favor of there durum rolls. In my six or so months there, the durum rolls were easily the best I had in Copenhagen. The shwarma and falafel were both without doubt the best durums. And unlike most of the other Kebab grilles I visited, this place used legit yogurt instead of mayo. I normally asked them to put some red pepper flakes in the shwarma purely because I liked the kick. The place isn't in the heaviest traffic but is definitely worth visiting if you're fiending for home a bit.

1 Thank Brian K

London
“Fabulous basic!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Eating out is ridiculously expensive in Denmark but here you get cheap tasty food at a reasonable price. The guy who served us was gorgeous, really friendly and spoke English. Between us we tried pizza, burgers, chickens and salads over a week long stay and it was all good. You can't compare it to Otto's at the Adina as that is three times the price. If you are hungry and need food this is a good place to go for the price so if you want gourmet go somewhere else!

• Visited January 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Didn't manage to get what I had ordered, despite several attempts”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The food wasn't bad, but the service was abysmal. The guy who waited on us didn't seem to be able to speak either English or Danish. I ordered a Caesar salad and a large sparkling water. Got a small sprite and a tomato salad. When I explained that that was not what I had ordered and re-ordered the same thing, I got a small sparkling water and an unknown salad (mostly with bacon). Since everyone else had gotten their food ("only" one of the other orders was wrong) and was far into their food, I gave up trying to get what I had ordered and ate the salad I got, which was OK.

They serve pizza and pasta (but don't ask for it "aldente", they clearly don't know what that is), which is of course of Italian restaurant, but other than that, there isn't much Italian about it.

Liverpool
“Great for what it is”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a small place right opposite the Adina Apartments where we were staying. Having arrived late and not wanting to head into CPH for just a drink we walked here. It was great. Service with a smile.

The food was good and not expensive (especially by CPH standards). Staff were very nice and attentive. Although you do not have too much choice, it is fine should you not wish to drink in the Hotel bar or trek into CPH centre.

Rockville, Maryland
“Not sure Uncle Mario is even Italian”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When we arrived at Adina apartment, we were tired (for having waited almost 2 hours for bus # 26 - long story: read my review of Adina Apartment Copenhagen). Anyway, we didn't feel like either going back to the town we'd left well behind to come to the hotel, and Otto's was closed (that was around 3pm) So, Tio Mario was our only option. We were starving (and usually when I'm hungry, I could be eating soap and find it tasty).
Well, my hunger wasn't so off the charts that my palate couldn't remember what good lasagna is supposed to taste like.
Though I thought it was just my lasagna, my friend who had ordered a burger, complained that hers was absolutely un-edible. She ended up eating just the fries. This was the FIRST time that I paid the exact bill and didn't leave a tip. Even when the food is so-so, I try to leave a tip (even if it's just the minimum required). This time, it was uncanny to see that when I asked my friend what tip she wanted to leave, she jumped at me and said exactly what I was thinking: NO tip. Of course, we figured we had to make sure that every night we had already eaten before returning to Adina, because Tio Mario would not be an option.
Of course, if you find yourself in the same situation as we did, Tio Mario will be your "last resort", and you can go and have something that will take the edge off, and rush to town to eat a decent, good meal. Copenhagen has too many good restaurants for you to waste time and money -Tio Mario "ain't" cheap-, in 2nd class restaurants. But even as a "last resort", it is hard to "digest" that this lasagna came from an "Italian" restaurant. In the City center, near Tivoli Gardens, you'll find lots of restaurants. The Hard Rock cafe has a mean (and big portion) Chicken Pasta (and they even wrapped the rest for me, which wasn't really necessary for a tourist). There's also a restaurant in the Radisson hotel, also near Tivoli. You can't go wrong with the restaurants in town: they'd go out of busines if they were bad (there's too much competition). But Tio Mario stands alone in its sphere -across the Adina Apartment complex, so as bad as it is, if you're staying at Adina and didn't splurge in one of the downtown restaurantes, then when you won't have a choice.

Visited August 2013