“The best Danish smorrebrod I've had here.”

Restaurant Pilekaelderen
Reserve with
Restaurant Pilekaelderen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #284 of 2,462 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Danish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Description: Classic danish food and smorrebrod.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“The best Danish smorrebrod I've had here.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

A local suggested this place for lunch. I came here for the first time in February 2013, and was absolutely thrilled by how great the smorrebrod was, so I decided to come around a second time.

I went with a family member here for a late lunch. It is a small, basement-like restaurant that is a short walk from the Kongens Nytorv Metro Station. It is wonderfully decorated with Danish flags and an old tavern sign outside. The inside is very cozy with dimly lit candles and slivers of light from the outside flowing through the windows - a very warm, relaxed setting.

The place wasn't busy and was a bit understaffed, but nonetheless we had quality food and excellent service.

One of the kitchen crew members served as our waitress for the afternoon, because the main waitress was out. Even though it isn't her main job to be taking orders, I was so impressed with her hospitality and efficient service.

Our food came within a very reasonable time, and it tasted just as wonderful as the first time I had it. The salmon smorrebrod here is easily the best I've had in Denmark (and I've had lots of smorrebrod here!). They give you just enough food to satisfy your hunger - not too much to stuff you, not too little to underfeed you. After we were finished, we were able to sit and talk for a while, given the coziness of the place. Like almost all European restaurants, we had to ask for the bill. For the high quality and satisfying quantity of this place, in addition to the great service, I give this place 5 stars.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank anthonysheu7

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Open Danish sandwich”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Visted this restaurant October 2011.

It is a lunch restaurant which serves oven Danish sandwiches.

I got an open sandwich with herring and one with fillet of plaice, which was pretty good.

Remember that Pilekælderen was the first restaurant to serve the Christmas version of Linie aquavit.