“Promised greatness, was disappointing!”

Madklubben Vesterbro
Ranked #86 of 2,308 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Inner Vesterbro
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Promised greatness, was disappointing!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Readers beware. This funky little restaurant has a great concept. Pay 100 DK for one course, 150 DK for two courses and £200 DK for three courses. All sounds great doesn't it.

The restaurant was hip, funky and packed! I was really excited to be eating here and managed to get a table at short notice too.

As a non-meat eater, I thought the menu was difficult. I saw one veggie dish and 1 fish dish. There were more meaty alternatives of course. So, I chose the cod and the waiting staff said they can rework the dish without the cassoulet that had garlic in it. Instead I would get the cod with a selection of veggies. Sounds great. Get cooking.

What was delivered was a piece of cod in a dish with a few moody looking pieces of cauliflower thrown on. Sorry, but not acceptable. Given I was paying reasonable DK for this meal.

My partner chose the steak which was cooked perfectly. One of the nicest steaks he had ever had he told me whilst i twiddled my fingers and waited...and waited for my dish to return. After quite some time, and indeed my partner had polished off his steak, my meal was delivered. I have to say it looked much improved. The flavours were OK and the dish had indeed been pimped with half a tomato, more cauliflower and a piece of parsnip. Oh and some greenery on top. Full marks for the staff who checked back to see if I was happy. By this time I could have eaten my shoes and been happy, and tipped! The dinner ended well with creme brulee which was lovely and as good as any I have had.

I saw two young girls order the house burger which was presented in a styrofoam container with a pack of British crips on the side. A quirky idea hitting their target market perfectly.

Perhaps I had just been unlucky, as I can tell you the restaurant was brimming with diners all happy and content. Although I think there may be better in Copenhagen. Until the next time...

• Visited September 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
“Good food and service”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived late around 10 pm and the kitchen was just closing, but they still gave us a table and fed us! 2 courses 150 kr and 3 courses 200 kr. Burgers were very tasty and good busy atmosphere.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Natsbats
Odense, Denmark
“A reasonably priced food experience”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

At Madklubben Vesterbro you can experience a great night out with friends. The atmosphere is relaxed, the food is very good and everything comes with a reasonable price tag. The staff is a bit pressed at times and as a result the service may suffer, but who cares when the wine is flowing and the food is plenty?

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
“A Busy and Good Times Restaurant”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This seems like a neighborhood rather than a destination bistro as it always seemed jam-packed. As we were staying in a nearby hotel and walked past the bistro a number of times, we noted how busy it was, that it was an attractive establishment, and that people seemed to really be having a good time. We wound up eating there twice, mainly for the convenience as other nearby restaurants didn't seem as enticing. We did enjoy the experience and the food. They do have menus available in English and the wait staff is helpful and friendly, although quite busy due to the crowds. They appear to be noted for their burgers which were quite good. They have a quirky style of serving them as the meal comes on a tray, unlike other selections. In addition to the good-sized burger you get a package of potato chips, warmed up! You may need to be sure that you specify how you want your burger cooked as they tend to serve them on the rarer side. Also, be aware that the attractive inside seating can be quite warm in good weather so many were sitting at the tables on the sidewalk, which is on a busy main street.

• Visited July 2013
København, Danmark
“Solid food in nice surroundings”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was invited here on my birthday and had dinner with a handful of friends. The restaurant is tastefully decorated with a very informal and cozy vibe. There are lots of different ways to sit, so you're able to choose what fits the mood or type of people you're with.

We mainly had burgers, which was solid and with nice homemade details. The price level is very fair and the location central. It's not so much for a romantic dinner as for a casual night with friends. But the last, the restaurant solves perfectly.

• Visited April 2013