“Poor quality rooms, overpriced”
Review of Gentofte Hotel

Gentofte Hotel
Ranked #61 of 119 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Nice location for a visit to Copenhagen. The hotel restaurant is nice and the staff is nice, but everything is overpriced even for Copenhagen standards and the rooms are not very high quality. The beds are sub-average and the walls are thin so the place gets noisy when people wake up in the other rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mortenpaatur

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

225 Euros for a small room, I bought an upgrade but the room was still very small! The cab ride into the city is around 300 Danish crowns. The only good thing was the restaurant and the friendly staff!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank stinsonbeach13
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I spent 2 nights here on business, when i went to check in the staff at reception were fine until I told my company will pay and they were convinced that they wouldn't, you will see from my contributions here that I stay in a lot of hotels and my company pays the whole thing excluding evening dinner. I said you may need to make a call, they refused and said no I will have to pay, I then had to make calls back to the UK even though I had a print out showing them that bed, breakfast wifi and parking were paid. Eventually after several calls they accepted what I had already said. I arrived on wednesday afternoon and a room service tray (photo attached) was lying outside a room door on my corridor it was still there on the Friday morning when I left only it had been joined by another one on the Thursday afternoon, the room service waiter saw the 1st and left it. The house keeping girl cleaned the rooms and left both trays and the boy from reception walked past them twice as he delivered a towel to my room as the house keeper took my dirty one away and left no replacement. LAZY STAFF

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jimbo367
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Though the staff are very friendly and welcoming at this hotel in the upscale suburb of Gentofte, the hotel, itself, is lacking. Rooms are small and very basic; they have no closets or air conditioning (not pleasant in the summer); and the bathrooms are tiny. Breakfast is fresh but very limited. Sadly, you'd be better off finding some place else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We'd booked this hotel long in advance of travelling, opting for slightly out of town in favour as the hotel prices in Copenhagen are on the high side.
No more than a 10 minute walk from the train station, 15 minutes on the train to Central station, all very workable.
When we arrived we were offered an upgrade for 150 DKK a night, something we declined as the merits of the upgrade were not sold to us at all. If you want people to part with money, try selling to them.
The room was fine, shame it was a wet room rather than a functioning bath. The biggest concern was that over the course of a sunny day, the room turned into a furnace. The window wasn't overly friendly to adjust so fresh air was minimal. This is where hotels have air conditioning, not this hotel. Instead we had to sweat it out. We were given a fan by reception, something they seemed surprised to have to lend. There should be one in each of the rooms.
We were also greeted from about 1830 on our first day by a dog, howling constantly in the room next to us. My wife approached a member of staff who said that the owner had just gone out & they'd probably be back soon.
We tried the local area for a meal, there is nothing in the vicinity & once back at the hotel the dog was continuing to make noise. The man on the front desk advised me he couldn't move us, the hotel was full (despite being offered an upgrade on check in). I asked to speak to the manager, I was told they'd gone home. They could perhaps upgrade us the next night. He did at least, on my request call the owner of the dog to advise them it was causing a disturbance.
When we picked up our keys the next day, the front desk did not approach us to make right the issue.
Breakfast was reasonable. Not good enough to be charged for, hence being free. The room contained no kettle or drinks facilities, no mini bar or fridge. More concerning was the lack of a safe.
On check out there was no mention again from the front desk about the issues we experienced on the first night. Service it seems, is not their forte at this hotel.
On reflection, a more expensive hotel, in the middle of the city might have been a better option.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christofofofof
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Yes we know Danish Hotels are expensive but we were disapointed with the facilities here. 5 star prices but not even any coffee making facilties. We asked and were told we could upgrade our room at an additional cost - we had already paid £160.00 !! Surely a kettle isnt too much to ask?

The room was fine but you get a wet room not a bathroom with shower so it gets , well - very wet in the toilet area.

Location is nice and quiet and easily accessed by Train from Central Copenhagen. The station is 10 minutes walk away and you can buy multi trip tickets to save on fares.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Reasonable place in a nice area, rooms are basic and there is no fitness suite etc, no bar as such but bottles of beer etc available to buy from reception, staff really friendly and helpful, breakfast reasonable but lacks a choice of warm food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business