“Good Choice”

The Square Copenhagen
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My daughter and I stayed in a Superior Double for two nights. The location is perfect/the staff very helpful/the room/beds very comfortable/clean/quiet. Our room faced the Church of Scientology. Walking from Central Station, I found the directions a little confusing. I would map out this hotel at the corner of H.C. Andersens Blvd and Jembanegade on the same side of the street as Tivoli. The free WI-FI and computer in the lobby was great. The rooms have free "wired" internet access.

• Stayed: September 2009
There are newer reviews for The Square Copenhagen

Reviewed September 10, 2009

If The Square had been a semi-budget hotel, this would have been a positive review. But I expected, and paid for, higher-end accommodations. Instead, I got:
- cheap, scratchy toilet paper
- broken wardrobe and minibar fridge
- warm, not hot, showers
- clueless front desk staff (our concierge's brilliant recommendation for a basic breakfast was 7-11... her ideas for dinner restaurants were limited to whatever was right across the street)
- no WiFi in the room: the lobby has WiFi, but the room only has a plug-in connection (take note, iPhone users!)

At least they got the basics right: the room was clean, safe, and fairly comfortable. However, there was a lack of "perks" that most hotels provide as a matter of course; for instance, we asked about a coffee pot or hot water pot in the room, and were told we could only get one if we upgraded rooms. Similarly, the breakfast buffet would have been nice, but not for $20 extra!

The location was also a poor choice. True, it's right by the central station and a few tourist attractions (Tivoli, some museums), but it's similar to Times Square in NYC: the neighborhood has zero character, and the nearby restaurants are both mediocre AND outrageously expensive. If I could do it over again, I would have found a cheaper hotel in a less touristy neighborhood to experience the REAL Copenhagen.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank da Nut
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Hotel is nice and a good location, but be careful of added costs. The hotel includes breakfast if you book directly. If using a discounter, the hotel will slap you with an additional bill for breakfast. when checking out. We booked and pre-paid for a two night stay in August through a discounter. When we checked out we were presented with a $82.14 bill for breakfasts. We were not told about this in advance by the discounter or the hotel. By booking through a discounter, we spent $67.19 more than if we had booked directly with the hotel. As for as we know this is the only hotel in Europe that does this.

1  Thank AMAlexander47
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Great location, across from Radhuspladsen (Town Hall Square), but service was uneven. Front desk responded to my request to change my room several hours after I arrived due to the overwhelming stale-smoke smell, but they tried to blame me for not liking the first room. I wasn't too keen on that attitude. Also, the housecleaning staff took an early holiday one day, leaving before afternoon and depositing a bag outside the door with towels and toiletries. If the room isn't going to be made up every day, I don't have a problem, but that seemed to be the height of laziness or strangeness. Overall, both episodes led to a negative impression of service at this hotel. The public spaces are lovely. Sometimes, design came before function in the rooms. This hotel seemed to favor neither shelves nor drawers. A tip: skip the seriously-overpriced and underwhelming breakfast. The only draw to the breakfast is the aesthetic of the breakfast room on the 6th floor. There are cafes nearby with much better breakfast food at much better prices. Still, if you favor location, this is a good spot. A block from Tivoli, across the street from the [towering and awesome] Town Hall and Stroget, Copenhagen's lovely equivalent to London's Oxford Street. You can walk just about everywhere from The Square, and the train station is 400 meters away. I won't stay there a second time - there are too many other hotels in Copenhagen, big and small, local and international, to make this one a great draw - but there are good points to it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Neat and smart, but small room...but then there's the view...of a brick wall! (Almost a joke!) The mattress was foam (or something other than mattress). Staff was helpful and efficient. The lobby was attractive with sufficient light and seating. The location was fabulous - very near City Hall and Tivoli Gardens, at the beginning of the self-guided walking tour in Lonely Planet. (I have no idea about the value of the hotel. It seemed expensive, but everything in Copenhagen is expensive...or maybe it's just the US dollar that has lost so much value compared to other currencies....) We had to leave too early for the full breakfast, but the croissants were all that you expect from Danish pastry.

Reviewed September 3, 2009

The Square hotel is in an ideal location. It is located right by the Stroget, Vesterbrogade and Hans Christian Andeson Boulevard (which has attractions)
The hotel is a comfortable and enjoyable to stay in. The rooms are compact but have everything you need, double bed, plasma screen, separate bathroom with shower.
The staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgable.
The hotel is clean enough, but not the cleanest hotel I have stayed in.
If I was to return to Copenhagen, I would definitely stay there again!

Reviewed September 3, 2009

We made the reservation about 3 months in advance through their website. It was a 3 night for the price of 2 if Sun night is included for DKr 2670 (we stayed Fri 28 Aug - Mon 31 Aug). We called in the afternoon of the day of arrival alerting them that we were arriving around midnight. Check in was smooth, although not as professional/friendly as some other hotels (maybe because it was midnight?). At the time of booking, we requested “a quiet room on the high floor, with a bathtub, and a view of Radhuspladsen if possible". Our room was Room 306 or 307 (I forgot) on the 3rd floor, right by the elevators, no bathtub, no view. My first impression was “tiny”. I called immediately to ask for another room. They called me back 5 mins later to inform me that they are fully booked and there are no other rooms available unless we wanted to upgrade. In any decent hotel, updrades in these circumstances are complimentary, but not here. So we have no choice but to stay in the room. That night we had disrupted sleep as the airconditioning was quite loud. In the morning, we open the window to a loud rumble of the air conditioning in the inner courtyard. It’s almost louder than the air conditioning. Just like any other European hotels the double room beds are 2x singles stuck together. But as the form bed they use is really light, the whole bed moves - like a jelly bed. I found myself falling in the gap between the beds a couple of times, and my husband fell off the bed once. On Sun (our last night), we discover that there is actually a hook below the bed that keeps the 2 beds linked – not sure why this was not hooked in the first place! It's not a uncomfortable bed if you don't move. The next day, I study the floor plan. Only 7 out of 50 rooms on our floor has the view of the Radhuspladsen – so don’t be deceived by their website which shows the room overlooking the city square – chances are that you’re not staying in that room. Approximately half the rooms on our floor had bathtub - just not ours..... And as expected the slamming of the door of the elevator kept waking us up - both late at night and early in the morning. On Sat night, we were kept awake by the “thump, thump, thump…” sound of the nightclub nearby. We had no interaction with the hotel staff except for check-in/out but they just did not seem to care about the guests or their stay. Only good point is the location. Will we stay there again? No!