“Great staff, good value.”
Review of Scandic Sydhavnen

Scandic Sydhavnen
Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Where do you start. Breakfast is very good. The rooftop hot tub and exercise area super. The rooms are standard but clean. Business center very convenient, with printer. Extra computers in the lobby for surfing. Location is 1 block from the surface train and on a major bus line.

• Stayed: June 2013
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Bill1018423

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review regarding your stay here at Scandic Sydhavnen.
Reviews always helps us to notice things and services that we can improve and become better at.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed you stay here at our hotel, and you liked our breakfast and exercise area and of course that you found our staff to be great.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back here at Scandic Sydhavnen again another time

Camilla

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Tha hotel is not as what I thought before: I would say that is an avarage 3 star hotel on a 5star price. My Dannish friend just lought at it.
On one hand never checked my badge at the breakfast but on the other hand I was disturbed where I am parking. They sad there is no necessiity of car registratin at the desk but I found a 100€ penalty on the mornings ...

Room Tip: The farest you are from the reception the best chance to get a better one
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valeo V,

As stated at the parking place and at the entrance to the hotel, we have free parking but you need a ticket from the hotel ind the window, if you have received a parking ticket please send it to me and I will take care of it.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed there for one night. Rooms are modern but not very large but OK. there is good internet connection. No minibar.
The breakfast was good but nothing exceptional. the hotel is located close to a railway station.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear PeterW37

I you want a larger room we do have other room type such as superior and suites.

Instead of a minibar we have a shop in the lobby that is open 24 hours a day.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I lost my phone and the three girls at the reception really stood up and helped me out. This was extraordinary customer support! This service makes me wishing to come back. So the next time I wil really concider this hotel over the Scandics in the city center

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank eihagen
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear eihagen,

I am very happy to hear that you had exellent support from our front desk staff when having lost your phone.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for a few days on a business trip.

It's about 10kms from the airport, so not a bad choice if you need to get to Copenhagen for a few days of business and then quickly get to the airport again.

The staff is friendly (in the Nordics, this is extra, even if in Denmark the atmosphere may be more positive than in other countries in the region). Check-in went easily, though the first room I got had no electricity -this was fixed quickly, but imagine if it would've been fully booked (as it happens in Copenhagen)... My second room was fine.

I got a room in the "new building", meaning a longer walk from the reception but a much newer room. This is what one could call typical scandinavian design: not many niceties, just the bare minimum, but in good quality.

In my "deluxe" room I barely had space for a few shirts in my "wardrobe" (which cannot be closed, in reality just two holes on the two sides of a wooden "box"). There was only one phone, with zero instructions (a tiny one on the wall above the desk, nothing next to the bed), couldn't call the reception by 0 or 1 so gave up and just walked there. There's no minibar, just a 24/7 small shop-like corner at the reception area -better prices and selection than a minibar for sure, still I would've liked to have the choice to just grab something without the walk... There was no complimentary water (though the tap water is fine to drink).

The bed was OK, the pillows are the usual, small and a bit too soft hotel variant. The AC worked fine, no strange noises. Setting it on automatic seems to mean that it runs on maximum all the time when it's on. The bathroom is OK but that's all. No shaving mirror and on the first day I had only 2 towels, one small and one big (got one more small after the first cleaning). The soap dispenser things are a bit overdesigned, it's easier to just open them and push the button below their cover directly to get more soap.

On one side of the hotel there's a huge construction site, if you want to look out of your window and see anything else than that, ask for a room that looks somewhere else.

The internet connection and the breakfast are both OK -nothing special or better, but not worse than any other hotel service that you'd expect from a place like this.

The food on the menu is a bit limited, but what is there is good, I tried a few things and everything was just fine.

The conference facilities are bigger and better than average, well-equipped and nice.

The bottomline: this hotel is the definition of nothing special. Usual Scandic environment, with a few small issues, but none of these are serious enough that should stop you from choosing this place if it comes at a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks at something else than the construction site.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank n0rdicguy
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear nOrdicguy,

I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly,that our room was in good quality, and we had nice conference facilities and good food in our restaurant.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Scandic Sydhavnen again another time

Reviewed June 8, 2013

After a long flight with no sleep, we were exhausted when we arrived at the hotel . We had had problems with our car rental and had misplaced our check in papers. The staff checked us in and we settled in our room. Then I tried to use my nebulizer and it started smoking and blew the fuse. The staff responded quickly, brought us a fruit plate to make us feel better, and then one of the staff members went to the hospital and brought back a nebulizer for me to use while in Denmark. We had a lovely supper at the hotel, slept well and enjoyed the breakfast buffet. While my niece and daughter went on a tour of Copenhagen, the staff tried to find us a automatic car we could rent. While I waited it was nice to be able to use the computers to contact friends and family to tell them we had arrived safely. I will be telling everyone that I know who is headed for Copenhagen to stay at this hotel. If I ever get the chance to go back, I know that this is the hotel that I will choose. Thanks to the staff for the great visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Patricia S,

I am very happy to hear that our staff was able to help you and made sure you had a nice stay here in Denmark and that you enjoyed you stay here in Scandic Sydhavnen.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Came here for a conference. Given the booking site facilities - brought my wife and young child.

The hotel is situated out of town - not that much of a problem. There is a train station about 10 mins walk away and it is about 24k to get into the city centre - likely less to get to the shopping mall that is @20 mins walk away down the main street. Both are cheaper to eat and drink than the hotel - but you've got the walk/train fare there and back. Taxis are very expensive.

That said, the food and drink at the hotel are marvelous - delicious, plentiful. Sometimes not quite enough staff and service is slow: but it is very friendly. Just expensive. Choose the breakfast option if there is an option - great value for money, plentiful and tasty.

Now I booked a suite room. Turned out to be on the 5th floor. Gorgeous room - kitchen, balcony, chairs, comfortable bed. Wine, fruit... Wardrobe space. acceptable bathroom. But no aircon. As an east facing room when it gets the sun it gets incredibly warm - uncomfortably so - windows open to no effect. With a small child despite the lovely surroundings, had to move - the only way to get airflow was to open the door to the hallway (not good).

We did change rooms. We moved to an "upgrade" - which was an executive room. While cost wise it might have been an upgrade, for a family with a small child - rubbish. No fridge, no cupboard space. But it did have aircon. So we stayed.

This must have happened before - a portable aircon unit ..or a fan could have solved the problem. Neither available.

The gym is good. The conference facilities are excellent (from an attendee point of view). The staff are very helpful (if they have the resources)

That said, I've marked it down to average simply because I went specifically for the family room and without aircon, it was a nightmare when sunny. And my "upgrade" wasn't because (I think) some rooms don't have aircon.

Near the hotel are supermarkets, pizza and kebab shops - not a lot to be honest - get on the train and go to the neaby mall or the city

It was a nice hotel, But unless you have to stay here - I'd have to say pick somewhere else nearer the city. I wouldn't not recommend Scandic - the ethos of the hotel, the staff attitude was good - just my experience with the rooms was so poor and its that experience that degrades this review.

Room Tip: don't chose 5th floor rooms when sunshine might be possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Camilla G, Front Office Manager at Scandic Sydhavnen, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear andymwood,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review regarding your stay here at Scandic Sydhavnen, these always helps us to notice some of the things we can imrpove.

All our rooms has aircondition and I am very sorry to hear that you got a room where it did not work, and that you where not offered to borrow a fan if that was what you would have prefered instead of an upgrade to a mastersuite.

I am very happy to hear that you liked our food, our rooms and gym.