“You must pay for everything”
Review of City Public Hostel

City Public Hostel
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I must say that City Public Hostel is one of the hostels that I hated the most among the ones I stayed at during my trip in Scandinavia. First, you must pay for absolutely everything (blanket, pillow?...) and what you pay for isn't even good. I stayed in the 6 beds female dormitory and there was no room to put our luggage. I was assigned bed 1, which was a top one, and I had no ladder to climb on it. Plus, the bed was crooked (how safe when you sleep on the top bed). Another downside was that we couldn't lock the room. Even though there is a locker in the room, it's still not safe since anyone could enter and just take your luggage (since it certainly won't fit into the locker).

The hostel isn't that noisy, I have seen worse, but some things are annoying and will maybe give you a hard time sleeping, like the bathroom door getting slammed every five minutes or the lack of space in the rooms giving no choice to the other people but to try to make their way as « quiet » as possible.

The kitchen was fine although there were very few tables to sit at, not really practical since it tends to get busy at dinner time (and even later). It's even worse when you have to use the kitchenette when the main kitchen is busy because of the (paying) breakfast offered by the hostel that is served there.

The showers lack a lot of privacy, you basically have to undress in front of everyone and you have to use your imagination if you do not wish to show yourself naked. That was very annoying.

Despite this, there are still a few good things about this hostel. It has free WI-FI, which is always a big plus. The location is perfect, it's only a few minutes away from the Central Station and the main street. The staff is quite nice.

These few good sides still don't give me enough reasons to stay at this hostel again, though. I barely slept (and when I did, it was far from being a good night of sleep) and nothing was comfortable. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are only looking for a place with a very good location (but there are other options...).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Vroumzi

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I found the hostel via hostelworld.com web page, I made the booking in advance in a 12 bed dorm room and then I had a nice surprise with an upgrade to a 6 bed dorm. It is located 10 minutes walking from the train station (I walk slowly) where arrive the direct train from the airport, 36 DRK one way. One avenue, the one that is almost accros from the hostel is better to walk, there is another street that go directly to the Station but looks like a "Red Area" but safe during the day. There are some stalls and a lot of fast food places and 7 eleven stores and a supermarket close to the hostel for cheap food and drinks.
The room was very clean, the breakfast (additional 40 DRK) is good for the price, a simple buffet with: bread, mermelade, butter, cheese, orange juice, coffee, tea and cereals. Is served from 8 to 9:30, I would sugest that it would be from 7 to 9:30 for the earlier guest. The check out is at 10 am, it should be at 11 am to allow the party people 1 more hour to sleep. Wifi free and good, a good reception and staff very helpfull and plenty of space and opportunities to meet other travelers in the public areas. The showers are in the basement for men and are clean and with good space, bathrooms were clean during the day but not at nigth were most drinkers were around.
I would rated this hostel wit 4 in a scale of 5, is very good and I recomemded it to stay in Copenhagen.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I went to copenhagen with friends, decided to pick city public hostel as it was cheap. I'v stayed in many hostels and am not a fussy person but this hostel is horrible! we stayed in the 66 bed mixed dorm and you barley have room to breath its so packed. the matress was uncomforable and had stains on it and the blue cover thats on it is even more unclean. there is no where to put your bags except for a tiny locker which you need your own lock for. The space between the beds is ridiculously small and you have to pay for lined/bed sheets. the showers are flilthy and when we rented a towel at reception it looked like one that someone had left there from there holidays. the location is good and the staff are nice but it still dosn't meaure up to the uncleaness of the hostel. i wouoldn't stay here again !

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bebe16
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is a good hostel, the rooms are fine, the beds good, the service and atmosphere spot on. The only thing that did bother me was the complete lack of security (do take a padlock) and that the shower facilities were a little unclean and old. However, for location and price, this is a very good place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2010

This hostel is extremely well located, a 10 minute walk from the central train station.
The staff are all nice and friendly. Bed linen is not provided, but you can rent it from reception. There is no laundry on-site, but there is one a 5 minute walk away that I used and found good. There is a kitchen which I didn't use very much, it seemed adequate but not particularly well provisioned. WiFi is available in the common area beside reception, but not in the dorms.

I stayed in a six bed female dorm - overall the atmosphere was nice and friendly. In my case, everyone was in bed by between 11 and 1, depending on the night, which suited me just fine - had three great night's sleep. If you wanted to stay up socialising there were plenty of common areas where you could talk to people.

The only issue I had was with cleanliness. One of the sofas in the upstairs common area had bits of food in it, and there was what looked like blood on the floor in the female toilet beside my dorm.

Overall a fine place to stay - not wonderful, but good value for money in Copenhagen, which is possibly the most expensive place I've ever visited.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We had a 3-bed-room, with ensuite bathroom. The hallway was under construction, so kinda dusty and messy out there. But our room was very clean, and nice, but SMALL! Bathroom was also small, but new, light and very good. As a hotel; not to good, but as a hostel, as it is; ok.
We didn't stay long, so have no opinion about staff, breakfast (expensive!) and bar

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have been there three times in three different trips I've made to Copenhagen, so you can imagine that I've actually liked it very much. The staff is very kind and the rooms are quite good. They're comfortable, roomy, clean and cozy. The location is excellent and the value perfect!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends