“Certainly Unique”

Ranked #44 of 393 things to do in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This hippy enclave is an alternative community unto itself, with local handicrafts and a disproportionate number of vegetarians, artists and young people. Go for a walk around the lake or check out one of the watering holes. Best to visit during the day.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Its not the slice of anarchy some would have you believe, nor a cleaned up former commune from the 60's, but some of both and more. Yes you could buy weed. No you cannot photo this and the small surrounding square. You can also get a coffee and sweet or a meal for a lot less than in Copenhagen. It is also safe. People of all descriptions live there. We enjoyed our 2 - 3 hour stroll thru Christiania and never felt uneasy. It is quite unique place.
It will be interesting to see what happens in 2018 when the residents supposedly have to buy the area or move.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,975)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Based on a couple of things we read online and I guess our own pre-conceived expectations, we went along to Christiana thinking it was going to be some haven with really friendly chilled out people. Instead we arrived saying "is this it?". The place is basically a few shack type buildings, a dirt path leading through it, loads of big scary dogs running around and a couple of stalls selling weed.

The disturbing part was the people, all completely zoned out and drugged up, coughing their guts up. I actually felt quite sorry for them - they looked like zombies. I don't know why but I expected it to be a happy place where people lived a simple life and yes smoked weed but these people just looked like addicts and I actually felt really uncomfortable being there. It was like they were in a fish bowl and we were looking in at them - you could tell the tourists a mile off, most of them looked as uncomfortable as us and promptly turned on their heels and got out of there.

It's a shame, I wish I could recommend this place but I personally think it's a waste of time and actually bordering on a little bit depressing.

5  Thank Hayley C
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is something different than I've ever seen. There are 8-10 booths selling marijuana, hash etc. People are sitting around smoking, laughing, and playing games. It's from another world. In about 20 minutes, I saw 50-60 people in their 20's-30's walk in and walk out. I did feel safe the entire time there. There are a few places to eat and buy souvenirs if interested. If you're totally against drugs, I would stay away. But if you want to experience something different, take 5-10 minutes to walk through Christiana.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Cristiania is a Unique freetown, boldly challenging established conformity rules.
It is a must visit green and hippie space where weed is legally sold and smoked, where alternative art is at every corner and where social issues are of big importance.
Despite what we read at various places, cristiania seemed a very safe and peacful place especially if you respected their rules ( no photos, no loud music, no running, no violence, no stealing and most importantly no hard drugs are allowed).

Reviewed November 23, 2013

It's an alternative place, especially for those who challenge the political establishment. People might recognize it as a place to buy cannabis legally. However, it goes beyond that. Those who live there have quite strong political stands on several issues and they are involved on certain alternative projects such as art, environment, etc. If interested, one should go beyond the appearance and try to have some readings before visiting this place. There are many visitors, especially youth groups, but also elderly, and also kids from the neighboring places play around in the compound.