Christiania
Ranked #43 of 391 things to do in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This hippy enclave is an alternative community unto itself, with local handicrafts and a disproportionate number of vegetarians, artists and young people. Go for a walk around the lake or check out one of the watering holes. Best to visit during the day.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I took a walk around Christiania on a Sunday afternoon and it was amazing. They had a small market which sold cool clothes and there was an all day/night concert going on. The sun was shining, good music was playing and there were loads of people drinking, smoking and having fun. However, when I returned a couple of days later (on a Tuesday morning) it was a tad depressing. There wasn't anything going on apart from dodgy looking people selling drugs. I think a lot of the bad reviews about Christania have been from people who have been when there was nothing happening. I would definitely recommend going to see it but go when there is some sort of event going on (which would most likely be on a weekend).

1  Thank Dani Y
Write a ReviewReviews (4,965)

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Christiania is one of the most popular autonomous neighborhoods in Copenhagen. This self proclaimed neighborhood is spread over 34 hectares and houses 850 residents. Also known as the Freetown Christiania, it is situated in Christianshavn borough in Copenhagen.
Christiania stands over a squatted military area. This commune was created in 1971 and most of its residents refer to it as Staden, the town or fristaden, the Freetown.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

If you take the time to learn the history of this community of self governed folk, you won't be unimpressed with its ambience. One if the best restaurants in town is near the entrance. Yes, you'll see and definitely smell the pot everywhere. No running! Only cops run through here, and the local dogs are trained to bite runners. The laws include: no stealing, no guns or knives, no violence and no hard drugs. Everyone I encountered was super friendly. Cool place to watch a concert, and there's music here most nights. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank mmdy
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had heard about Christiania from friends and TV (Rick Steves) but was disappointed with the real thing. Yes, you will see marijuana being smoked but so what?? Otherwise, the area is run down without any real attractions. There were a couple of shops but the merchandise wasn't anything that I couldn't find in a cheap flea market (probably worse). There were a few places to get a drink or bite to eat but with all the bottles/trash on the ground and smell of marijuana, cigarettes, and body odor in the air, it's hard to work up an appetite.

2  Thank dtanen
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Enjoying the festival scene in the UK and the input put into them by the hippy travellers, I was hoping to see more of the same here. With this being an established community though the least I expected was some quirky buildings and unusual stalls and in some ways unusual stalls is what I saw. This is no hippy dwelling (at least what I managed to see of the place) as mostly what I saw was thuggish looking men selling blocks of hash and bags of weed in huge quantities. I was restricted to just the thug market though as some freaky guy on a bike started circling me and shouting something in Danish, which I didn't understand. When I told him I didn't understand he spoke in English and said ''You're not welcome here'', so I decided to leave. It might have had something to do with 6 or so police officers I saw hanging around the entrance when I arrived at Christiania, maybe something happened that had spooked him, but as I know not what happened or why I wasn't welcome to explore the place then it left with just a bad memory of the place. I guess in many ways it's a lawless society in there so it's unwise to venture where you aren't wanted. Not the hippy dream then, just an openly criminal network doing whatever they want to do.