“Maven Copenhagen”
Review of Restaurant Maven

Restaurant Maven
Reserve with
Restaurant Maven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 2,696 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: French, Italian, Danish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Description: ‘Maven – Restaurant & Wine bar’ is a down-to-earth eatery in the Nikolaj Exhibition Building; an old church right in Copenhagen’s solar plexus. We offer quality wines and good beer at honest prices and classic dishes with an elegant twist, freshly made from the best ingredients. The place has borrowed the old nickname for the Nikolaj Square; in the 19th Century this was the home of the city’s butcher shops and thus referred to by the locals as ‘Maven’, literally meaning ‘the Stomach’. We have removed the bloody traces and aired the location, but the informal charm is still here. We treat the stomach without overdoing the gastronomical ambitions.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

t was by chance that we stumbled upon this lovely looking restaurant. We had a peep inside and knew this could be an interesting experience, so decided to book. It’s situated in an old church, now a contemporary art space,in Nicolaj Plads. Upon entering, you are welcomed into a inviting restaurant area. The staff are very friendly and obliging. The menu is small, but don’t let that put you off the culinary treats that are on offer.
We opted for the Pork and Fish mains, both were absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection. (not to mention the exquisite presentation). The side dishes came in large potions. We shared a desert - also delicious.
The wine list is extensive, with wines from various countries which compliment the dishes.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Copenhagen ,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This small fine dining restaurant is inside a former church. It has the most lovely ambiance for a romantic or philosophical dinner. It's quiet, but cozy and friendly. Great wine selection, in a country known for beer.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Have been here 6 times now, so I obviously like it enough to return. The restaurant is attached to the church, and is quite beautiful inside the way the light comes through the windows. Very nice decor and cozy ambience inside. The food is excellent and there is a decent amount of wines by the glass to choose from, although I can't say I always like the choices, having tried many of them.

The restaurant is also called a vinbar, but that is misleading. I have come here with people to sit at the (very small) bar and drink wine, but they are not helpful at all with this. Recently they had about 6 glasses of wine by the glass and I wanted to order one. I picked one from the list and asked if I could taste it before ordering. They obliged me, but I didn't like it at all so I asked to try another one from the list. She said no! I was confused, but she said "I had to open this bottle for you, so I won't go open another one for a taste. If you want a glass, then I will open it." Not kidding! This was a wine from the wine by the glass list - the bottle should have already been open! I was floored. PLEASE don't call yourself a vinbar if you won't actually offers wine to customers! I have noticed during lunch as well that they don't really like to offer tastes to people when ordering wine, as if its a huge trouble to them, even when the restaurant is half empty during the weekday.

As I'm writing this I wonder why I'm giving it a 4, but in fact it is for the ambience and the food. I've just come for great food and gone elsewhere afterwards to enjoy a drink without attitude.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Restaurant Maven is a wonderful, cozy restaurant in Copenhagen; and its charming atmosphere captures the essence of "hygge." Which roughly translated, means "cozy"; but of course, the word means so much more. You get the meaning when you walk in - there are candles everywhere, and faux fur on the chairs. The restaurant is located inside of a part of an old church, and I believe the rest of the church displays art exhibits. I ate the pork, my friend had their three-course meal (soup, ox-tail, and pie), and her husband had the beef. We all very much enjoyed our food and experience. Just two things: 1) I'm not sure how Danish the food was because I felt like I could enjoy a very similar meal in the US; 2) this place was expensive. That being said, excellent food, charming hygge atmosphere, and very nice staff made for an excellent dining experience in Copenhagen. Not to mention the fact that everything in Copenhagen is expensive, and I felt the food quality and experience were worth the cost. I hear the mussels at lunch are excellent.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was my first, but not my last visit to Maven. Maven is the Danish word for stomach. But the place could easily be named heart as well. The service is some of the best I have ever experienced in Copenhagen. The food is delicious. Do not miss the butter that comes along with the bread. Butter made with corns of mustard. Yummy. Maven is situated in a part of a church in the absolute center of the old part of Copenhagen. The square surrounding it used to be the meat market of Copenhagen, and the place to go for new goods from the far east, including the first bananas sold in Scandinavia.
Dishes today are with small surprises when it comes the taste of it. High quality in a wonderfull place.