“Thorvaldsens can not be missed when you enjoy art”

Thorvaldsens Museum
Ranked #31 of 393 things to do in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: See sculptures created by sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen, whose work can be found across Europe. Long corridors allow for natural light and echo the creative ambiance. The Museum opened on September 18, 1848. It is Denmark’s oldest and also most extraordinary museum building. Open Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Beautiful museum where the collection is shown to its best advantage. This was my third visit and I am sure that when we visit Copenhagen again it is a fixed item on the agenda!

Bettina W, Chef  at Thorvaldsens Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you so much! We are looking forward to seeing you again :-)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I didn't really consider this but it was quite a rainy day so we decided to do the museums. This place was a very pleasant surprise! As well as Thorvaldsen's best works there are also quirky additions throughout which give certain rooms modern twists. The audio guide is fantastic and free if you have photographic ID to leave at the desk. I also must mention the Irish lady who served us when we got our audio guides. She was very helpful, pleasant and cheerful and had been to the Kirklands hotel in Kinross where I live in Scotland. It's a small world! Don't miss this or you will miss out.

Thank you for your feedback. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Indeed, the audio guide provides a great chance to get some extra insights and I will make sure that make colleague knows she was appreciated by you :-) Please come visit us again.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Thorvaldsen was a master artist and it is a joy to see so much of his work in one place. A large collection of his sculptures, plaster molds and drawings. Top of my list of places to visit when I came to Copenhagen.

1  Thank Nevyntoo
Bettina W, Manager at Thorvaldsens Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your great response! We hope to see you again next time you visit Denmark :-)

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We visited this museum as we exited the Christiansborg Palace because it was free with the Copenhagen card and it was raining and it was directly outside of the palace.

I was happily surprised. I'm not much for statues but these were impressive having so many in a fairly compact museum. I especially liked the room in the basement where they showed the casts. There was such a variety all next to one another. Very cool. There was also some modern art exhibit going on along with it where they were interspersed amongst the statues in an interactive way, such as when I walked by one statue it projected me up on the wall behind the statue with some talk bubble above me. I couldn't read it though as it wasn't in English.

They were doing some refurbishments to the ceiling on the top floor which was also interesting to see.

As most museums in the area, you have to put your stuff in a locker but you get your money back when you go back. Keep 20KR on hand at all times.

1  Thank chelmail

Thank you – we are more than happy to receive such positive feedback!
You are always welcome to visit us again

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We came in here because it was nearby and we had a Copenhagen Card (which granted us free access). While this isn't a must-see place, I was glad we saw it. The presentation of statues and sculptures was really creative and entertaining. The curators are clearly making an effort to show that statues/sculptures can be an immersive experience... more than just staring at some stone and walking away.

For example, in one room there is a Kinect-type device that displays your moving picture next to the main statue, then gives you two speech bubbles with funny or thoughtful things. In another room there are lenses from different vantage points showing you different perspectives/views of the statue on display (e.g., peer into a shoe's heel and see a tiny, upside-down view of the statue).

So Thorvaldsens is more engaging than an ordinary museum, and certainly more engaging than an ordinary statue/sculpture museum.

At the end of the day, though, it felt like, "Well, they're still just sculpture/statues." If you're into this genre of museum/art, though, you will LOVE it!

We took about 30 minutes in here, but you could easily spend longer.

1  Thank jess65456

Thank you very much for your response.
Indeed, the museum exhibits Thorvaldsen’s sculptural works, but also houses his extensive personal collection of art including paintings, contemporary art of his time, as well as antique Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Roman objects.
Likewise, we often facilitate special exhibitions. Right now (and until 29 September 2013) visitors can experience modern art pieces from the art group DECEMBRISTERNE standing side by side with Thorvaldsen’s neoclassicist art – this creates a very interesting contrast.
We hope to see you again sometime in the future!