“Go see just for the chairs”

Designmuseum Danmark
Ranked #33 of 394 things to do in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you like design it's well worth going just for their contemporary chair collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was looking forward to visiting this place and convinced my friends to go. It was under construction and we saw almost nothing. A total waste of money. Better off going into any department store instead. Very disappointing!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is a small attraction, but worth going to if you're a fan of Nordic design (Danish in particular). There were four small exhibits when we went. The first showing the contributions of Danish design, including various Stelton and Eva Solo products. Upstairs, we saw an exhibit on current winners of Danish design awards. My favourite section was a case study type exhibit that showed the call for design proposal (the problems submitted that require innovative products), the plans for the products submitted and the final products. One example (poorly paraphrased, my apologies!) was for funding from the Swedish prisons for chairs that could not be broken or used as weapons, light weight, stackable and could not have weapons hidden anywhere in them. The solution was a single piece of molden light-weight, soft but sturdy material. In the end, the funding was withdrawn and the prisons did not go forward with this product, but I found the innovative process to be very interesting.

We had lunch at the cafe. We had their deli sandwiches. I must say, these were perhaps the greatest sandwiches I have (perhaps ever) had! I had the roasted young roaster (tasted like roasted chicken breast though), on fresh bread with lots of lovely greens and a beautiful butter and herb sauce.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I expected to see a collection of Danish designs but was very disappointed. The three story facility had only one floor (small) of items while the other two were taken up with stories and videos about how design can affect the planet. If I hadn't gotten a discount, I would have probably been even more unhappy but since I did get one, I have to chalk it up to a bad choice.

2  Thank skibuff
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Okay, so some of the Danish design pieces are kind of weird, but I think that's the point! You really can't miss the opportunity to see this museum and get a taste of the world famous "Danish Design." There were also a lot of older artifacts in the museum which made it more interesting overall. I walked through with my friends and we had a good time both appreciating the art as well as laughing at some of it.