We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Amazing, well-organized collection”

The David Collection
Ranked #5 of 381 things to do in Copenhagen
Certificate of Excellence
Attraction details
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The highlight of this museum is a unique collection of Islamic arts from around the world. It has been planned out by era and continent in a logical flow. A handheld device is provided to translate captions into English or other languages.
While we may not agree that it is the #1 attraction in Copenhagen, it was worth the visit. Plan 1.5-2 hrs. Fits nicely with trip to Rosenborg Slot and/or SMK museum for the ambitious. Check the schedules, this is open later than several other attractions, so you can add it on after lunch/tea.

3  Thank Lenny S
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a Review
Reviews (826)
There are newer reviews for The David Collection
See the most recent reviews
Traveler rating
Traveler type
Time of year
Language

471 - 475 of 826 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The David Sammlung was endowed by a wealthy industrialist as a free museum, and it has been able greatly to increase its holdings since his death in 1960. It has a helpful and knowledgeable staff. For most visitors, perhaps, the newly installed Islamic collection will be the main draw, but the well-chosen, largely 19th century, Danish paintings, etc. downstairs in David's living quarters would be worth a visit themselves.

This institution is a center of scholarship in the Islamic arts. You will get an idea of their high curatorial standards by visiting their excellent website.

3  Thank NicJBoston
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Enjoyed this lovely museum. The Islamic artwork was amazing as was the venue, a beautiful house that the original owner owned that was bequeathed, along with the collection, for the public to enjoy. The house seemed to go on forever, like the Catacombs! We even got lost a few times. Disappointed that there were so few English titles and explanations. According to the lady at the entrance desk, they are working on it. I look forward to coming back one day and reading about all the items I saw. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Start with the stairs to the third floor and work your way down. Skip the European exhibit if your short on time.

2  Thank Cindiana49
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We finished 90 % of the Islamc arts section and we had to go because they were closing. We where so amazed of the fantastic pieces we saw. Coins, clothing, fabrics, paintings and so on. We are planning to go back to see it all again and for the last remaining 10 %. I recommend Davids collection (Davids samling) to anybody with a historical and cultural interest.
All together there is three sections:
• Islamic Art
• European 18th-Century Art
• Danish Early Modern Art

http://www.davidmus.dk/en

6  Thank The-Hezarfen
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This collection of Islamic art is beautiful, comprehensive and free - go see it! Some of the objects are stunning, and it includes textiles, jewelry, wood, metal, knives and daggers, precious metals and jewels and painting, including an extensive collection of miniatures. It has been very thoughtfully organised and exhibited in an old house.

3  Thank alison_skellern
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed The David Collection also viewed

 
Copenhagen, Zealand
 

Been to The David Collection? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing