“Hotel Windsor: Proceed with Caution”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Windsor

Hotel Windsor
Ranked #78 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
London, England
“Hotel Windsor: Proceed with Caution”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2007

First, the bad news: Because the reception at Hotel Windsor is only open until 4pm, those guests arrriving after that time are directed to pick up their keys at the neighboring sister Hotel Joergensen. After retrieving my keys, I crossed the square to the Hotel Windsor and was alarmed to see a windowless door covered with graffitti. My key opened the door, which revealed a staircase painted black and white. I climbed to my room on the 4th floor, and found both the room and the corridors to be something between backpacker hostel and crackhouse. To be honest, I took one look at my room and resolved to seek a different hotel the next day. The toilet room, down the corridor, was somewhat clean but definitely in a state of neglect. The shower was on one side of a kitchenette with makeshift temporary walls standing about. The door to the showers stall fell off the rails when I touched it.

The good news is that I stuck it out and kept my room. At breakfast the next morning, neither the manager nor the other guests seemed like crack addicts. The reality is that I got what I paid for. So to sum up:

Would I ever stay at Hotel Windsor again? Not on your life. On the other hand, if you are looking for bare-bones economy in one of Europe's most expensive capitals, it may just be what you are looking for. Do NOT be deceived by the website! I'm not sure where the pictures were taken, but your room will contain absolutely zero elements of the famed Danish 'design'. The website says that there is an email facility in the reception area; this is completely untrue. There are no internet facilities whatsoever. The website professes that hotel staff will help you with the gay life in Copenhagen. While this may be true, because the reception closes at 4pm, you are pretty much on your own unless you arrive earlier in the day.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank Keith_Montgomery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

I had a great time staying at the Windsor. The location is excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were simple and clean. There was plenty of good food for breakfast. Met some other gay travellers from other countries in Europe and enjoyed their company very much. Never had to wait for a shower. And, best of all, the price is right!
Steep stairs going up to the hotel may discourage some travellers, but they are no worse than many other hotels around the continent.

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank BlondeBeard
Hasselt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2006

Hi , this is my first time to put a review online but I feel it is my duty to warn everybody on staying in this terrible hotel.
I travel a lot for my job and I have been in cheap places before but this was just overall a terrible experience.
The rooms were dirty , no comfort what so ever . And the owners big fat dog was lying in the hallway infront of my room all the time.
The Staff was VERY VERY unfriendly !!!!!
I cannot understand that this hotel is listed on the gay portal site of copenhagen . I am gay myself but this hotel is not worth calling itself gayfriendly or friendly in anyway !

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank bramjoris

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels