“A tribute to the well-insulated building, the room was quiet day & night”
Review of Hotel Amager

Hotel Amager
Ranked #69 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is now our favorite place when we are in Copenhagen. We appreciate the authentic charm and simplicity of the concept, that you can get in and out via a private entrance. We were here to celebrate the New Year and to just be in our Love, to rest from the business and stress, so it was perfect we could sleep when we wanted to, since it was so quiet. There was lots of good shops in the immediate area, close to everything - if you want to walk or alternatively cheaply by taxi to the city.
The only two things that did not suit us was breakfast time 06:30 to 09:30. We had at least wanted to 10.00 (but happy to 11.00) on vacation.
The pub looked nice out, but we would not feel comfortable there, because there were sports on a big screen, and we think that is very uncomfortable with screams and yells from the games. We prefer some soft background music, soft lighting, cozy and romantic at restaurants / pubs where you can sit and talk deep and undisturbed.

We had also appreciated the access to get to have a fridge in the room - as we like to eat and drink in the room. :-).
However - this time we kept the food through a slit in a window, and next time we will bring a mini fridge, so it goes well.

We thought we got value for the human price. Thank you Hotel Amager.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank PompeSweden

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed one night in a single room at the Hotel Amager, which was adequate for the price paid but no more. My room was of monastic proportions containing one very narrow single bed, a low table, two hard chairs, a wardrobe and no more (though bizarrely there was an empty suitcase in the corner). The bathroom was equally snug, though clean and reasonably effective apart from the very slow draining sink.
My room didn't resemble those in the hotel's photos, which look quite spacious.
The hotel is not in the centre of Copenhagen, though it was convenient for where I needed to be, and is also quite close to a Metro station on the line from the airport to the centre.
I didn't have breakfast at the hotel - it wasn't included though it's available in the cafe bar on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a larger room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2012

For a budget hotel the Amager offers good value for money. Located on the outskirts of the city it stands a short walk from the metro and is fairly easy to find. Our room was basic but clean and comfortable with a very good ensuite. We had decided against taking the breakfast option and as a result saw very little of the staff, apart from our arrival and departure but they seemed friendly enough.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor and to the rear of the building, which was very quiet during the eveni...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank searcher111
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed in one of the double rooms that face the street. I didn't have any problem with traffic noise with the windows closed, but it was fairly loud with them open. I kept them closed most of the time because it was chilly out, but it might be an issue in the summertime. The room was small (not unusual) and very basic. The bathroom was in good shape and was roomy enough so that I wasn't bumping into something every time I turned around.

Overall, I can't say I'm disappointed with this hotel because it delivered what I was looking for - a reasonably priced room (for Copenhagen, anyway), clean, and easy access to the city center and the airport. I also can't say I'm overly thrilled with it, probably because it had more of a cheap motel feeling to it than a real hotel which makes it difficult to reconcile the price paid with the experience. If I were to return to Copenhagen, I think I'd probably pony up a few extra kroner for a more modern hotel.

A couple of general notes: 1) I was there for just over three days, and the Copenhagen Card was a great investment. I bought it at the tourist information desk at the airport (you can buy it online in advance if you like). I used it daily on the bus (route 2A or 5A) to and from downtown, round trip to the airport on the metro, round trip train travel and admission to Frederiksborg & Kronborg castles, and admission to everything else I visited. Major convenience and savings. 2) If you like coffee, shop around and be prepared for a shock. At Baresso, their version of Starbucks, a regular cup is $4 and small espresso drinks are over $7. I couldn't break the habit, but at least the coffee was good and the wifi complimentary. You'll be hit hard wherever you decide to eat (a combo meal at McDonald's is $11, for example), so just try to accept it and move on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank danou812
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Amager after a recent NCL cruise. It was convenient - less than 10 min from the central station and Tivoli. The hotel was clean, the rooms basic but more than acceptable, and the staff most helpful.

A convenience store is located 2 min away, and it is on the central bus line so it was very easy to use as a central point for 3 days of exploring the Copenhagen area - we got the 3 day Copenhagen card and it was a great benefit, in terms of being able to use the trains, buses, and have admission to the museums and castles all in one flat price.

highly recommended if you are the type of traveller that spends little time needing the creature comforts of a high end motel and want a clean, inexpensive and convenient place to stay while in CPH.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark0313
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'll start with the good: Copenhagen is a very expensive city, and this hotel is an exception to that rule. Amager is outside of the city center, but its literally a 10 minute walk from the hotel (or 2 minute bus ride) to get into the center from the hotel. Clean room. Right next to a grocery and some good local places to eat. Its an urban residential area, so you'll get a nice taste of where and how some of the local city residents live. Staff was helpful, though not overly friendly.
The not-so-good: You get what you pay for, so this seems to be a hit-or-miss hotel, based upon other reviews I've read. Our room had no furniture other than the bed, a small tv and a very small table. We were awoken every morning at around 6:30am by someone doing metal-work on an adjacent outside patio.. including a Sunday. Very irritating. The walls and floors aren't very sound-proof, so you'll hear your neighbors - some of which are residents of the building - its not all hotel rooms.
WARNING: For American or other travelers who are used to a "free continental breakfast": they serve "breakfast" downstairs every morning for hotel guests. Its basically some basic sliced bread, coffee, a bucket with the little packs of butter/jelly/honey and tray of sliced cheese and lunchmeat, sitting on the bar. We walked into the bar/breakfast area on the first morning and the guy behind the bar just asked for our room number (as if to verify that we were guests).. we told him, and then me and my g/f helped ourselves to coffee and some bread. This continued for the entire 3 mornings of our stay. At the end of our stay when we checked out, they charged us $77/US for the bread and coffee. We were never told or reminded of the cost, and honestly, it felt like entrapment.. especially considering that many countries wouldn't DARE charge money for such a bad excuse for breakfast.. its natural for many travelers to assume its included. Food is terribly expensive in Copenhagen, but you can definitely do better for breakfast. SKIP this fraudulent excuse for a continental breakfast and go elsewhere.

Had we not been awoken every morning at 6:30, and had we been properly informed of breakfast by the staff, our impression of this hotel would be better. Its a good price & a clean hotel + nice location. You could do worse.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 3vilMonkey
Reviewed September 12, 2012

A great small hotel in a nice neighborhood, Great staff, friendly and helpful, The room was small, albeit a single. But, it was clean, the TV was flat screen with some English speaking channels, plenty of hot water and pressure in the small, clean shower. The room was under lit, Three lamps and only one worked. The overhead never worked. The room overlooked a courtyard and was very quiet, unable to hear the noise from the busy boulevard out front. The windows allowed in sunlight but unfortunately also the bright spot light on the courtyard at night. The curtains were gauzy and no help blocking the light. It was difficult to sleep. But, other than that, it was a great find. The Bus stop was few steps from the front door, acess to all the sights within minutes. Also the Metro to the Lufthaven was around the corner. Great food in the neighborhood, grocery store next door. Wonderful find! I would highly reccommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo