“Good value for money, great location”

Somandshjemmet Bethel
Ranked #4 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Grahamstown
“Good value for money, great location”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location and is very good value for money, especially compared to other options in the area. It is within very easy walking distance of almost all the major attractions in Old Copenhagen. Extremely easy to get to as there is a bus-stop right outside the front door.
Service was great, they assisted me with directions, made suggestions for activities and even arranged to courier my passport to me after I left it behind in their reception safe!!
Rooms are clean if slightly small. Bathrooms where good, with the hot shower very welcome after travelling for 36 hours! Despite the location and the potential for street noise, I did not notice any. However my room did not face the busy harbour area.
Breakfast buffet is substantial, fresh coffee, juice, rolls, cereals, fruit, cheese and a selection of cold meats.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Nyhavn for a great view of this idyllic little harbour.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a fantastic location...on the waters of Nyhavn. We stayed for three nights with our family of 5. Room was big enough for the five of us (kids 3,9 and 12). The staff could not have been more helpful. Suggestions for activities and travel help for getting to train no problem. Breakfast included is great...cereal, breads, meats, Oj tea/coffee. The tea/coffee and juice is available all day. The price was reasonable at about 300 us per night, this was for 5 of us with wifi and breakfast included. Pizza place on side street next to hotel was good for a cheap but nice dinner. There is some strret noise at night as this is busy part of town but this was minimal. Will stay here again if lucky enough to be in Copenhagen again.

Room Tip: Rooms at front look directly onto Nyhavn canal but are also noisier.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank andben366
Tonsberg, Norway
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were drawned to this hotel by the good rating and nice reviews. It surely was a nice place to stay, but not a hotel , more like a boardinghouse, but the room was Ok and clean enough. We had the towerroom, a nice experience on the top of the house . The staff was really nice and we felt very wellcomed and the price was good. Nice breakfast. The location was exellent, on the quay of Nyhavn.

Room Tip: Try a upgraded room with a seaview.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trondoc
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here with 3 friends for two nights. We shared a room and it was pretty small for 4 people. The room was quite basic with private bathroom. The bathroom looked old and outdated but everything worked. The shower pressure was lousy. The room had no safe. There was feather pillows and blankets and wall-to-wall carpet.

Breakfast was included with the price and we ate with good appetite. The bread was fresh and delicious and we loved their coffee. Only downside was that some food run out when there were a lot of people having breakfast.

The location is perfect if one likes to stay near Nyhavn. The hotel is pretty quiet, the only noise came from the street.

They have no alcohol and no smoking policy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravellingCat
Michigan
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed there for two nights. My room is very small, about the size of 3 twin size beds in total, plus a small rest room with a shower (no tub), a sink and a toilet. There is no much else in the room, only a TV, a small desk, and a chair. The hotel is in a wonderful location in the mid of the city, in a short walk to several major attractions. You can come back to your room after a few hours to take a rest. I did not hear much noise since my room was not on the street side. The staff is very friendly. The breakfast is standard. There is free wi-fi.

I have no problem with the size of my room. The problem of my room is that the end of my bed is about 30 cm away from the door, and the hallway and my room all have squeaking floors. Whenever someone is walking in the hallway later in night, the floor squeaks. Since my bed is so close to the door, it waked me up. So, this hotel is inexpensive in the local standard for a reason.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank sun20
London
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The superbly located clean and comfortable, although the room I had this time was more basic than last. Staff are unfailingly helpful and courteous and breakfast is excellent. There is coffee on all day which is great given the prices in Copenhagen. Budget and basic, but none the worse for that!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank douglasjohn
Bude
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our third visit to this hotel, and it turned out to be yet another very enjoyable experience. This time though, I was a little aprehensive, since a different Management had taken over around the time we were last there, and we were wondering if any major changes had taken place, but nothing drastic had happened,so all was well!
As said before in a previous review, this is a no frills hotel which offerts plain and simple accommodation at an affordable price in an expensive city, and one of the best parts of it too!. So as well as not wanting standards to drop, we wouldn't wish this place to become swanky either, and price itself out of the market. My message to Management therefore, is 'Keep on course and steady as she goes'
One of the things that makes that atmosphere of this place is the staff on reception, and here I must single out 'Birgar' and Jensia' who do a magnificent job and who are both a splendid asset to 'Hotel Bethel'
Those who have read my earlier reviews will know that I love Copenhagen. It is my favourite city, and my second home, and we are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: It is worth playing a bit extra for a view of Nyhavn, one of the best places in Copenhagen!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple