“Enjoyable stay - right in the center of it all!”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #23 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bronx, New York
“Enjoyable stay - right in the center of it all!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I spent a week in Copenhagen and spent it at the Savoy Hotel. It is literally a 7-10 minute walk from the main train station and easy to find. The lobby is very pretty and modern with ipads and a computer for the use of the guests. The check in was smooth and simple. There is also a bar where you can buy a soda, water or wine/beer. There was also complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby with a couch and two comfortable chairs. There is an outdoor seating area in the alley which was nice for breakfast and and for just anytime really. There was wifi in the hotel- I had an android phone which had some difficulty but the front desk was able to provide directions to use to login. It did drop at times but if you notified the front desk, they reset it.
My room was pretty small but tastefully designed. It was simple and compact and I was on the ground floor. There was also a hot pot with tea options. The bathroom was super tiny. I don't know how I would have managed in that space with two people. I was in a double room. The windows opened up to the courtyard. Unfortunately there was a heatwave going on, but luckily after two nights I asked at reception about a fan and I was given one. Definitely ask if you need one! The only issue was noise in the AM. Every morning except one at around 7:15 hammering and drilling started. I didn't figure out what was going on until my last morning when a fence appeared between our courtyard and the building next to us. That was a bit frustrating but it tended to cease before 8am which was weird but it was a relief. I don't know if that noise will continue but it was hard to sleep through. The only other noise I found was from the metal breakfast tables- if people were up early they'd drag their chairs over the stones. I wore earplugs so it wasn't terrible but I'm not sure if the sound maybe would've been lessened higher up?
Breakfast was great- in a city of such expensive food, it was a delight to have it included daily. There was a variety of fresh breads, cheeses, danishes, fruit etc. There was a coffee machine and loose tea and fruit juice. It was pleasant and clean and replenished frequently.
The location was also great. Sights like the Little Mermaid and Nyvahn were far walks but not outrageous- maybe a 1/2 hour or so? Tivoli and the Carlsberg art museum and National Museum were 10-15 minutes. I walked everywhere so it did take me a little longer but buses and trains are readily available and close by. The Copenhagen lakes were right behind the hotel and they were great to walk around and sit by to watch the sunset. There were many restaurants and bars all over. There is a also a small supermarket, Irma, one block down from the hotel by the theater which had cheap beer, soda and a small selection of food good for a picnic or snacks.
The front desk staff were great. They were so accommodating and friendly. They talked to me the solo traveler starved for conversation and gave great tips and recommendations. There was always someone on duty and every request was met with a smile. I definitely recommend this hotel for it's prime location, great service and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank kate11os
Dear Kate11os,

thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed the stay and that you wish to recommend us.

The drilling has stopped to our relief too.

We have changed the internet setup, and should have a faster connection, and a more stabile one now.

I hope to see you in Copenhagen some day,

kind regards,

Christian Oxlund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here as a couple during a long weekend. The hotel is located quite central in walking distance from the central station. The personnel is extremely friendly and helpful. Bikes are available, internet is functioning well, breakfast buffet is nice… Rooms are nicely decorated. Everything is in good shape. Pleasure to stay there. If they really, really wanted to improve something, it would be the coffee for breakfast. Copenhagen has such a coffee culture… But those are details. Would come back.

Room Tip: Rather the rooms higher up as they are further away from the outside breakfast area. Rather rooms to...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Yellowduck,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed the stay and especially happy for your comments on the staff.

I look forwad to see you in Copenhagen again some day!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I thought this hotel was fantastic. The location was pretty handy for us, not too far from the train station to get to airport and close to great restaurants and within walking distance from most sights (thought some sights are a decent walk away, but we like to walk). The breakfast was excellent and overall the hotel was very comfortable. From a value for money point of view, obviously there are cheaper cities in Europe to visit, but I thought compared to other hotels the cost of this was pretty good for the amenities and location. A great little place to base yourself in CPH.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gill265
Dear Gill265,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad that you enjoyed you stay and I do hope that we will see you in Copenhagen again some day.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Savoy hotel for one night before our Baltic cruise. The room was very small - if we wanted to pass one another one of use had to move up between the beds. The bathroom was tiny by any standards, the door opened against my bed which had to be pushed aside to allow the door to fully open. There was no wardrobe, just a short hanging rail and only one metal chair. The location was quite good though, near the station and handy for the hop on-hop off buses. The breakfast room was in the basement and had a reasonable selection of breads etc.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank April0304
Dear April0304,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It is correct that we have some small rooms, but we also have larger rooms available.
It all depends on which room type you are booking.

I hope that we will see you at Savoy Hotel again some day.

Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed at the Savoy Hotel for one night, enjoying some time exploring Copenhagen. Great location, easy walk to City Hall (where you can take a free walking tour), Stroget (the pedestrian street with lots of food, music, and people-watching), a few blocks from Tivoli Gardens. Excellent customer service, delicious breakfast complete with live music, clean room with private bath. Would definitely recommend this.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Runningbarb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed the stay, and I look forward to see you at the hotel again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The rooms are comfortable and the staff friendly and full of excellent local information. The beds are a bit hard but the rooms are fine - at least the one we stayed in was. It was a hot week and we stayed on the ground floor so it was quite warm most nights as they don't have air con - I can't imagine this is a problem most of the year! But they provided a separate sheet in addition to the quilts when we asked and this solved the problem. The breakfast buffet was really good with generous hours. My only gripe was the building work going on next door which started up very early one morning (6.30) and woke me up - it was very loud and sounded like someone hammering on the adjoining wall. This didn't happen every day but those sensitive to noise should beware especially while it stays hot so all the windows are open. Our room backed right onto the alley through which the builders trundled their kit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ChristianOxlund, Ejer at Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear LJ1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Savoy Hotel.

I am sorry for the noise coming from our neighbour, but am very happy to say that they have finished the construction work.

I hope I am able to welcome you back again in the future,

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This was the perfect hotel for a city break. Walking distance from the station so easy for transfer from the airport and easy to get everywhere. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, as it was the Copenhagen jazz festival, we had a live jazz band playing on 2 mornings at breakfast, perfect! We hired bikes from the hotel as Copenhagen is made for cycling. The room was quite small, but for a break when you aren't in your room much, only to sleep this didn't matter, it was clean and comfortable which is what matters. We weren't leaving until 2pm and were able to keep our room til then on our day of departures. The meat packing district close to the hotel is fantastic for drinks and food.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ChristianOxlund, Ejer at Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear jbb24,

Thank you very much for your review about Savoy Hotel.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you in Copenhagen in near future.