“Friendly and homely hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kong Arthur

Hotel Kong Arthur
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Hertfordshire
“Friendly and homely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is in a great location - 10 minute walk from Nørreport Station which is a central metro and train station. There is a lake very close to the hotel and the area does not feel so busy as the area right in the centre of the city. The decor of the hotel is very nice - modern and well kept. There is a spa available although I did not use this as the weather was so hot I couldn't face a sauna! The staff are friendly although the check-in process took a long time and seemed to be more complicated than it should have been. The breakfast is very nice. As a few other people have mentioned, the rooms have no air-conditioning so be prepared to have a hot room if the weather is hot. There is a fan in each room. The lobby area is lovely - plenty of comfy sofas and chairs where you can read books or magazines. There is a very relaxed atmosphere in this hotel - perfect to sit quietly and relax.

I would recommend this hotel but only if the weather is not too hot due to the lack of a/c.

Room Tip: Choose a larger room as the smaller rooms can feel cramped.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Everything about the Kong Arthur was ideal. Arrived early, they took care of us and let us rent bikes all day. Returned and relaxed in the courtyard after checking in. Room was comfortable and relatively spacious (compared to other CPH hotel I stayed in). The location is outstanding for food, cafe scene, and a relatively short walk to the metro stations for venturing farther afield. I'd definitely return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HotelCopenhagen, Gæsteansvarlig at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Family traveller025

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to know that you had a good vacation here at Hotel Kong Arthur and that enjoyed your stay.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Room was very well maintained and extremely clean but had no air conditioning and so got hot and humid (stayed in July). In the evening you were left with a choice of loud conversations from the street outside the hotel with the window open or having a very hot room with it closed. Might be nicer in the winter.

Breakfasts were good but the selection was limited (especially for hot food) and never changed so after 6 days I was really getting tired of it. WiFi was generally good but on a couple of evenings was so slow as to be unusable for an hour or two.

The hotel in general is very clean and well maintained and the staff are very friendly and professional. If you are staying for a couple of days in the winter (or like heat and humidity!) then I would recommend this hotel but if I were returning to Copenhagen for a week in the summer I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the winter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
1 Thank Mallorne
Dear Mallorne

Thank you for your review. We are glad that your overall experience was good.

We know there have been some problems with the WiFi connection. We have had an investigation of it and we know now that we have too few access points at some locations in the house. We will soon establish more. Actually, we have a really huge fibre-optic broadband, and accordingly nobody ought to experience problems with the internet connection here.

At the moment we have the most wonderful summer and almost a heat wave. The Temperature draws close to 27 degrees in the daytime and between 15 and 20 degrees in the night. This is quite unusual in Denmark and perhaps we should consider installing A/C. But normally temperature seldom exceeds 20 degrees in the daytime. And A/C comes with a very large aber dabei - it contains freon, which is highly damaging to our climate.

We hope to be welcoming you back in the winter (if you gave up summer here)

Naples, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

hoel is well located next to Norreport metrio station. rooms really small..as usual in Copenhagen.
breakfast is great, bakery really fresh, fresh juices and great fresh fruit.
The SPA is nie and wirth a visit

Room Tip: take the spa
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I am the colleague and was the roommate of S Barlow (author of blog dated July 16 2014, titled: ”Went to a lot of trouble to secure a room at Kong Arthur”) when we attended a meeting in Copenhagen with an organization that used the Kong Arthur for the occasion. Knowing we would arrive very tired at 6 AM in the morning, we PAID FOR THE NIGHT BEFORE to assure we could check in whenever we arrived. When we arrived at 6 AM, the room that we had secured but not used the NIGHT BEFORE had been given away. As noted already, we were given a tiny, noisy early check in room and transferred to our Jr Suite for our SECOND NIGHT after check in time on the morning of our arrival. This happened despite having had advance assurances that this unusual arrangement was safely in place accompanied by a confirming email. I see that the Guest Services Manager (Marie Thyssen, date July 18, 2014) responded to S. Barlow’s blog report with a patronizing observation that one should not expect early check in. Really? Even when the hotel has accepted full payment for the night before, and also collected on a rental to someone else? The response to our complaint is in itself evidence that the administration there is not very swift or attentive to customer relations.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank LSmithB
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear LSmith

I am very sorry if you found my answer patronizing. As I wrote in my answer to your colleague, I was not sure if I got her right, and I asked her to write to me and explain. She hasn’t written to me so far, but I hoped she would, because we wish to investigate the incident in order to find out where in our organization something went wrong. And in order to do that I need date of stay and your name. So please contact me at mt@arthurhotels.dk.

Anyway I didn’t realize that you actually had booked your room a day before arrival. If you have paid for night before you arrival, we should certainly compensate you. Again, please contact me.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We did have a nice experience in Hotel Kong Arthur. First, we enjoyed the oriental atmosphere of the lobby, the good taste of the decoration and the staff-professionalism. Before our arrival, we got a message with useful information (how to get there from the airport, etc.). We did appreciate.
We reserved a superior room (n° 420) which was confortable (iron, kettle, books) and big enough, well-decorated with modern art. Nothing to complain about the simple and well designed bath-room. We got everything we needed. Congratulations for the breakfast-buffet quality !
Of course, travelling is always an adventure. Of course, when you travel North, you don't check if the room is air-conditionned. May be I should have since we were lucky enough to enjoy heath in Copenhagen... No air-conditioning in this **** hotel (but a fan !) : you have to know. Well, we used natural conditioning and opened the windows to refresh the atmosphere. Fortunately, the patio was very quiet at night. So, we acted like good ecologists.
However, from the ecology point of view, may I suggest a little thing ? Shut down the dozens of lamps in the 4th floor lobby: they waste a lot for nothing and contribute to the high temperature ...

However, may I suggest anything ? I agree with saving energy: but why does the 4th floor lobby waste so much energy with dozens of heavy lamps lightnened all the day long, increasing the temperature ?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Marie-Christine

Thank you so much for your kind review. We think it's really nice that you find our decor is oriental-Nordic in style. We never thought of it that way :-)

You are quite right regarding not to expect A/C when travelling North. This summer we are very lucky - it is the best possible summer weather. A/C would actually be useful right now. We have fans at every room to compensate, and we have to say, 90% of the time in Copenhagen, you don’t need A/C.

Regarding the light in the 4th floor lobby our technical department says:
There is light at the 4th floor lobby due to a legal requirement (fire safety), which says there has to be light at 24/7 and 365 days a year. We cannot overrule that.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

All the best
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

by emailing to make sure the room would be available when we finally arrived at 6 am from the states. I had already paid for the room to ensure that we would be able to rest before meetings. When we arrived the desk clerk said that for some reason (which made no sense to me except to surmise that he had been able to rent it to someone else) our junior suite was not available. I reminded him that I had, on several occasions, contacted the hotel to remind them that although we wouldn't be there for normal check in we would arrive eventually. We were shunted off to a miserably hot, tiny room. Later in the day we were finally settled in the suite, but schlepping suitcases and being tired for the rest of the day was annoying.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank 787sallyb
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Sally

We are awfully sorry that you got dissapointed. However, I must remind you that check-in time is 11am. If you arrive earlier, we can store your luggage and sometimes if possible, we can help you with a room, which has already been cleaned.

Our hotels experience a high demand, which is great, of course. But this means that the rooms are not vacant the day before you arrive. Our good house-keepers need time to do their job, and they can’t start before our guests have checked-out.

If I didn’t get you right, you are very welcome to write directly to me (mt@arthurhotels.dk), and we will investigate your complaint further.