“Pleasant hotel in Copenhagen”
Review of Hotel Kong Arthur

Hotel Kong Arthur
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I’ve not had much luck with getting decent single rooms in Scandinavian hotels - the place in Copenhagen last year was a particular low - but luckily Hotel Kong Arthur bucked the trend.

I was a bit early for check-in but the friendly staff stowed my bags whilst I went out to enjoy some of the Copenhagen Christmas spirit - Gløgg and special Christmas Ale to be exact.

My single courtyard-facing room was very comfy AND it had a double bed. There wasn’t much room to swing the proverbial cat but how much room does one actually need in an hotel room anyway? They still managed to fit in a (slightly unnecessary) armchair and a desk though. There was also a decent sized safe,minibar (an electronic one so beware),plenty of cupboard space and tea-making facilities so I was a happy chappy. There’s no a/c which is fairly common in mid-range hotels in Scandinavia so things got a little stuffy at night but you can adjust the radiator and/or open the window.

The room was very clean but I suspect it hadn’t been updated in a while as there weren’t many free plug points. I would suggest taking a USB extension cable for any device you wish to access from the comfort of your bed whilst it charges. The free WiFi was good and there’s a wired connection if you need it.

The bathroom was functional with the usual small shampoo and conditioner containers and tablet soap - why more places don’t just move to wall-mounted dispensers escapes me - so it’s worth picking up your favourite shower gel at Boots before you fly. For some reason the water for the sink didn’t get really hot and I couldn’t grasp the purpose of the obliquely angled mirror on the ceiling but it did allow me to examine the top of my head for signs of nascent slap-headedness.

The bed was slightly soft for me but I still enjoyed several good kips. On Saturday evening there was the tell-tale bass thud of a party going on somewhere but it wasn’t too annoying.

As mentioned previously staff are all very helpful and smiley the only slight hiccup being during ‘cozy’ hour when the good folk at reception double-up as bar staff and have to serve everyone who has piled into the bar area for free booze (mmm…free booze). A bit of a pain when you're waiting for your room key but then I decided to join in the fun as well so it worked out ok.

Location of the hotel is just about perfect - down a quiet cul-de-sac but just a short hop from Nørreport station, so getting to and from airport is a breeze. Re transport, the type of metro tickets you buy will depend on where and how much travelling you do. I did a mixture of walking and Metro travel over five days so a 2 zone klippekort was probably about right.

If you’re on a bit of a foodie tip when you visit CPH then it’s worth noting you can book many restaurants well ahead online (even the big ticket places like Noma and Geranium) but most of the old-school places require that you call them. I also found it very difficult to get reservations for places like Restaurant Schønnemann at this time owing to Christmas lunches which the Danes book up months ahead. But then there’s always plenty of Pølsebod stands to choose from if you eat of the pig (and I do).

Room Tip: I chose a courtyard room which was very quiet apart from some noise on a Saturday night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rmajumdar
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Kong Arthur and merry Christmas! Such a pleasure to read your review; thank you for your kind and elaborated review.

I just want to comment on the mirror in the bathroom, as these have a little story of their own. When renovating the hotel, the former hotel owners, a married couple who's daughter owns and runs the hotel now, decorated the hotel with, among other things, their own needs in mind. For instance, the wife decided that the bathrooms should have angled mirrors near the ceiling so the women could easily do their hair before going out. After having renovated the hotel some times since then, we have kept the mirrors as we figure that some women (and men?) might still fancy that :-)

We have a lot of these little stories about the hotel. Ask for me, next time you are staying at Hotel Kong Arthur - Then I will love to give you a tour and tell them all :-)

Kind regards,
Stine Jørgensen / Hotel Kong Arthur

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kong Arthur

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Good hotels in Copenhagen are not cheap - the Kong Arthur is priced is similar to its competitors. Hotel is 5 min walk for Nørreport Train/Metro station and within easy walking distance of the main city centre sights. Room was perhaps a little small, but warm, clean, quiet, comfortable with nice furnishings. Breakfast was a little basic, but was good value as part of an inclusive price - but would not have bothered otherwise (there are plenty of local places to have breakfast locally). Staff friendly and helpful - printing out tickets etc is not a problem. A nice individual relaxed experience in a nice old building, rather than a busy corporate chain hotel further from the city centre.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We booked this hotel under the impression we had a room for two people but arriving at the hotel it was clearly for only one as it was microscopically small, only had one set of towels and bedsheet. Also the bed was tiny.

When we asked about this the attending clerk told us it was a 1 person room but that they were booked up. He gave us extra towels and an extra sheet.
When we checked out and gave the feedback the response was that we really did book this size room (really, for 2 persons!!!??) although they couldn't prove this. Still the answer was that they couldn't do anything for us. Also they said that more people complained about this but that it was as it was.
One tip for the next customer training: if customers give you feedback in a reasonable way, think with them instead of going into denial mode.

Our overall experience with Copenhagen (first time) was great as it is a beautiful city, we love the Danish design, the food culture and atmosphere but we will definitely not choose this hotel next time we come over.

Thanks, Peter

Room Tip: In this case call the hotel afterwards just to make sure and let them confirm with e-mail that you g...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank RoPiet
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. From your explanation, it appears you booked a Grand Lit/Double Economy room (these rooms have beds 140 cm wide, so a semi double bed). As we explain on our website, these rooms are large single rooms, but if traveling on a budget these rooms a perfect for couples who don't mind lying close. I am very sorry if this did not appear clearly enough from where you booked your stay.

We could use these rooms only as single rooms, but to meet our guests traveling on a budget, we have made this exception. I am very sorry that this has had the wrong effect. Moreover, I am terribly sorry you did not feel met the right way by my colleagues at reception. I have let the Hotel Manager know about the situation, and I will like to use your example for our upcoming training sessions in January. Thank you for your feedback!

I hope to see you back at Hotel Kong Arthur!

Kind regards,
Stine Jørgensen / Hotel Kong Arthur

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with our 2-year old. The hotel has a good location with a 3 min walk to the Metro and Mathallene. The staff is very service-minded, and help us with ordering taxi and food from some of the excellent restaurants near by. The breakfast is ok with a selection of hot food, but could supply a little more for those not into hot food for breakfast.

We stayed at a superior double room which was a little smaller than expected but had a nice bathroom with hot tube. We will stay at this hotel again, but not when travelling with a small child. For a little romance, with SPA and nice food, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just back from spending 3 nights in the Kong Arthur. Room average. Bathroom poor standard and very cold as the weather worsened. Continual flow of cold air from outside. Discovered after reporting that windows had not been closed properly. Even if we had known, windows very difficult to close anyway. No shower gel provided. We had to ask for it.

Breakfast average. Supposed hot food in the buffet, such as eggs and bacon, always just warm at best, usually cold.

On a positive note, most of the staff friendly and daily "cozy hour" a welcome touch. Comfortable bed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Central, stylish reception area with a nice bar. Friendly staff and a really good SPA. Parking close to the hotel. We stayed at their small double rooms in the top floor. The rooms where satisfying but the bathrooms were a bit outdated and quite cold. Only 10 mimutes walk to the shopping street "strøget". We went to a concert on FORUM wich is only 10 minutes walk away. Would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night. Overall, it is a very nice, upscale hotel. If you are not watching your Denmark budget, this is a lovely place to stay.

Pluses:
1) Free, fast wifi
2) Very friendly, helpful staff
3) Nice lobby with fireplace, and every day at 4pm they have a "Happy hour" with a free drink/treat (we got Carlsberg Christmas Beers)
3) Very clean, well-decorated
4) Nice location, right on the lake between Norreport and the Old City (walkable to all the sights)
5) Quiet, cozy
6) Nice outdoor spaces (though we didn't use them in November)
7) Heated towel racks in the bathroom- a plus in the winter

Minuses:
1) Breakfast is quite a rip-off. Head to a bakery instead!
2) Odd layout- the hotel has added sprawling additions.
3) The spa is NOT free to use UNLESS you boook directly through their website. We booked through a discounter, so did not get to use it.

I am a backpacker, so this was a splash out stay. Not our usual level of accommodations, but if it's yours, I recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple