“You could stay inside all day and skip the city.”

Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Honestly, it’s tempting. Our room was both elegant and comfortable: four-poster wooden bed, firm sofa, lovely wooden furniture and wood floors, great bath with organic (un-fluffy) towels. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Great lobby area with comfortable seating--great place to meet and talk with other travelers if you’re so inclined. Free wi-fi in lobby and in delightful outdoor courtyard (you can also pay for a wired connection in your room). Delicious breakfast in a beautiful restaurant, worth the 125DK. This is one of three Guldsmeden hotels in Copenhagen; though this street is not particularly scenic, we loved the location because it’s walking distance to all the best neighborhoods, and you can walk with your luggage the few blocks from central rail station (which is a 12-minute train ride from the airport).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Axel hotel is a charming place with cool, hip style. The rooms are spacious for EU standards and the staff is helpful, but it is NO value. EVERYTHING seems to be an add-on from the SPA which has useless hours (closing at 22:00) to the breakfast which is quite overpriced. And don't expect to find espresso!

Speaking of amenities, you can find everything you might want, including all the 'pushermen' and 'ladies of the night' just outside the door...

I don't think I would recommend it, but I do have to say it has some great aspects also. Certainly the bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and quiet (even being street side). The 'trendiness' is nice, and the breakfast did LOOK amazing, just too expensive for my taste...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This is my third trip to the AXel, the beds are so comfortable I find myself going to bed earlier than usual. Its all in the details, I love the approach to the environment and conservation.
I asked to move rooms as I am here for a week and they put me opposite the lift I was moved without question. The front of the hotel is noiser than the back and if I had realised I would have asked to move to the back of teh hotel but its the middle of the city and a block of the red light district...which I dont mind the girls have to work somewhere after all and Vesterbro is known for its less than shiny pavements....a welcome relief in what can be a very 'clean' city.

On my last trip the hot water was not working in the evening. We were kept informed of the progress and a fine glass of wine was brought to our room. Breakfast which is super ( although a litle pricy ..but hey what isnt pricy in Copenehagen?) was also deducted from our bill for the inconvenience.

i choose to stay here for business and pleasure and would recommend it to anyone who is not a fan of big chain hotels.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Partner using cane after surgery could only enter hotel with difficulty. Must ring bell, maneuver suitcases at the top of two steps and manage to open door and keep it open. Spa only open 17:00 to 22:00 which means not able to use if one is doing business dinner. Main reason why we chose hotel. Sofa in room was dirty. I don't even want to think what was on it. Wires from Flat Screen TV extended on floor across narrow passage from bed to bath. Not safe under any circumstances. Very small room for price even by European standards. We did not stay. No proper bar for relaxing and conversation. Hallways narrow and dim. Real turnoff was the card left on bed promoting anti-drug campaign in area. What kind of neighborhood? We left and luckily found a more user friendly hotel with a water view.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
AxelCopenhagen, Public Relations Manager at Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

Dear Snugskiss from Georgetown.

At the Axel Hotel Guldsmeden, we feel compelled to reply to your review, as we do not find it reasonable.

When you arrived, you immediately felt that this was the wrong place for you, due in part to your partners´ mobility issues, which is perfectly understandable. You also decided that you did not care for the room, which is of course also your prerogative.

We were entitled to charge you full rate for the room, which we did not do. With no argument, we allowed you to cancel the room with no charge at no notice.

We have a large number of happy and regular guests, as well as daily newcomers, who all appreciate the warm an personal atmosphere that is the cornerstone of the Guldsmeden concept, and if a guest should not wish to stay here, we have no interest in forcing the issue. Thankfully, that is an exceptionally rare occurrence.
We are pleased that you found accommodation more suited to you.

We do, however, take exception to your comment about the cleanliness of the room. We have extremely high standards for our housekeeping staff, and they are trained in excess of what is average for hotels. A room at a Guldsmeden hotel is cleaned on a very thorough level each time.

As for the postcard promoting efforts to stop human trafficking and drug abuse, these are problem issues in the central areas of all major cities in the world, and our neighborhood is no exception. We try to make a difference by not closing our eyes to other peoples´ problems, which is greatly supported and valued by the vast majority of our guests.

We wish you happy travelling in the future.
Axel Hotel Guldsmeden

Reviewed May 31, 2010

My Sister and I, and my parents stayed in 2 rooms at the Axel in May on our way home after a Baltic Cruise. My sister and I had the deluxe double room on the front side of the hotel, while my parents had the same style room facing the back end of the hotel.

First off the rooms are really lovely, the four-poster beds are gorgeous, the bathroom is really neat with its stone sinks, and the sitting rooms were great as well.

Before you read our complaint - take note: We were there on a Saturday, and it's located on the edge of the party district. (There's a strip club just up the road if you're leary, or interested)
Our only complaint was that there is no air circulation in our room (at least during our stay). So while we had some cooler fresh air, we were bothered by the street noise outside for the entire evening. We probably should have just asked if there was a fan or something at the front desk (an after thought). My parents had a lovely quiet sleep though, so perhaps take note and ask for a room not facing the street.

The lobby was quite nice, and I was a big fan of their environmentally friendly attitude, from the towels, to the organic wine in the room. Lovely place, and wish we had longer to stay and enjoy.

It's really close to the train station, about 3 minutes walk away, and about 7-8 minutes to get to Tivoli.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I had booked a superior room as a surprise birthdaygift for my boyfriend. A few days before arrival I e-mailed the hotel and the booking was confirmed. Upon arrival at the hotel we were told we had to wait until 14 before we could check in. We left our bags and returned by 18. We were given our keys and headed for the superior room which was supposed to have either a balcony or a tub. This room had neither, was small and had a tiny bathroom with no working lamp in the ceiling. When we confronted the hotel receptionist she handed us over to a superior who said there had been a mistake - why not tell us in the first place instead of making us pay for a superior room and hope we wouldn't notice we had got a standard one??? After some negotiations we got compensated with free breakfast (140 DKK each) and free entrance to the spa and drinks (all though they always include a welcome drink) and we paid for a standard room. Even if it was an ok deal we were only staying for one night and celebrating so ofcourse we were disappointed and angry about the cover-up. We also complained about the broken lamp but were asked if we could survive and wait for the cleaning lady who was coming in the morning - hey - we were only staying one night!

When it comes to the hotel itself it is well situated in the new trendy area of Vesterbro. The hotel personel are happy to give you tips about were to eat and on bars and will help you make reservations. It is a ruff area though and we saw about nine prostitutes in the street and a lot of drugaddicts in the neighbourhood. So I would not recommend it for singel travellers or travellers with children.There are also a lot of sexshops and go-go bars. It is although a perfect place for exploring the city with 2 minutes walk from the trainstation and further 10 minutes to Tivoli and Stroget and has a lot of hotels, restaurants and is close to the meat-pack district with all its trendy bars. The breakfast is too pricey and the entrance to the spa as well, There is a nice courtyard for drinks and the decoration in the rooms are nice and very eco. If it hadn't been for the mix-up that they tried to conceal I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed in the Axel for 3 nights. I don't have must to add to all the positive reviews my fallow travellers wrote: central located, cosy, the Hotel & the room design reflect relaxation & homey feeling and (this might be odd but hi, god is in the details) I loved the blankets which were used in my room - they were light but still warm and gave nice feeling after a long day :-)
But here come one big down side : too noisy in the street side front rooms.
When I picked up this hotel the location (side street) seems quiet but in fact it wasn't at all during the night. We were staying in the standrd double room in the front of the building and even with the window closed the noise was too much. The "red light" area around the corner has no effect for your own safe feeling but it does cause for intense night traffic and it is very loud. to that you can add tracks offloading starting 6 AM (this can take almost 2 hours cause there are several hotels in the street)
After the first night ( the window was open....big mistake) we checked if we can move to the back side and we were told we can upgrade and move but the girl in the reception made a small rate calculation mistake and told the upgrade was double from what it was. By the time we realise the mistake all the rooms in the back where booked
Bottom line: if you do want to stay in this hotel - book a room in the back side. if you get a room in the front...bring ear plugs or upgrade as soon as you can.
Another small thing that the hotel can do something about : it's a romantic hotel, a lot of couples choose this hotel for that reason - shame to have two mattresses with a crack in the middle. After all if we can't get our partner to coddle with us there, where can we?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple