1,825 results
All reviews eco hotel central station the red light district organic breakfast four poster poster bed small balcony strip club meatpacking district street noise tivoli gardens sitting area lovely room the meat packing district two blocks superior room single room
Reviewed February 19, 2014

They have the aesthetics. It's nice-looking and clean. I won't consider the frankly obnoxious eco-lunacy in my rating, but, God, it was sanctimonious and irritating.

And I could even excuse it's placed near dodgy, curb-crawling characters... And some people like over-warm rooms with no way of turning off the piping (outside the walls) that feed the radiators. The sound-proofing wasn't great, and you couldn't block out the light in the morning.

But my main issue is the sheer meanness. Our stay wasn't cheap, so where was the breakfast included? Where was the free use of at least the sauna or jacuzzi? (Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't expect full free use of the spa, but seriously...) Hey, maybe this is normal for hotels in Copenhagen, but I've stayed in many hotels in many countries, so this was pretty shocking.

Maybe they should concentrate a little less on eco-lunacy and a little more on giving guests, well, what they paid for...

Room Tip: Stay away from the main road...and then you can leave the window open to let the excessive heat out...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Briancloughisgod
AxelCopenhagen, Public Relations Manager at Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Mr. Briancloughisgod ,

Truthfully, we were quite surprised at the aggression in your review, and assume that - unfortunately for all parties involved - you booked a hotel that is contrary to your own priorities and views on what is important in life. The “eco-lunacy”, as you call it, is prevalent throughout all our hotels, and is clearly communicated on our website. We (naturally) do not consider it lunacy, we consider it basic common sense, if we wish decent living conditions for our children and the generations to come. We know that not everyone is of the opinion that eco-friendliness is important, and we do try to communicate it with humor – so we´re a bit confused as to how you could become quite so irritated.

Our hostmanship is the primary cornerstone of our daily life at the hotels, and we truly love giving our guests a great stay – when families with children come to visit, we´re always giving away a free ice cream, sweets, sodas, fruit.. No-one comes into our house without being offered tea, coffee, a glass of wine. Free apples are available in a basket by the front door. There´s nachos, nuts and dried fruit all around for the taking. Everything organic, because this is important to us.

Now, about why not more stuff is free: you probably found out for yourself that Denmark is quite expensive. Food – especially that of a high, organic quality – is expensive, and this is why we decided to let our signature breakfast be an optional extra at our hotels. If we did not do this, we would have to raise the (actually for Copenhagen quite reasonable) room rates, which would be an annoyance for the guests who do not wish to have, or have time for, breakfast at the hotel.

The spa offers free use of all our organic own-brand products, as well as a selection of healthy drinks and snacks, in addition to the basket with special towels, slippers, kimono – so at a one-time fee of 295 DKK for free use of the spa and facilities for the duration of a stay, we feel it is really quite reasonable. It is not realistic to make specific parts of the spa free, and others not – it is all located in the same open area.

Finally: If the room was too warm, we wish you had mentioned it to reception, who would have been happy to send someone up to help you. For sustainability reasons, and being located in a cool climate, we do not have air-conditioning. As for the light in the room, all rooms have double curtains, it seems that unfortunately you did not notice the inner, black-out ones.

All in all, we are sorry for your sake – and ours – that this wasn´t a good match. Fortunately, it doesn´t happen that often, and usually it happens when guests have booked through other channels than the hotel´s own website. We strongly recommend all travellers to not only check review sites and booking sites, but take a look at the hotel´s site as well. It is the best place for us, and our colleagues in the business, to express our priorities, our concept and our personality.

We wish you happy travelling in the future! All the best from the Guldsmeden Hotels.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Axel Guldsmeden is a nice and conveniently located hotel in central Copenhagen. If you’re arriving by train, the hotel is just minutes’ walk away from the central station. The staff is nice and easy to deal with. This would be my second time at the hotel and I was surely hoping to have as fine room treatment as the first time. I decided to book a single superior instead of a standard one, just to make sure I got a good room. When your expectations are high, you are easily disappointed. The room was small, too small for comfort. The bathroom was quite roomy and the shower was a walk-in one, which was nice, but there was practically no water running through the shower head. Not sure if that is by design as this is a “environmentally friendly” hotel, but it didn’t work well for me since I like quick showers. Also, there was an annoying smell of urine in the bathroom. I might stay there again, but I will definitely not book a single room, even if I’m travelling solo.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank joistori

Dear Mr. joistory,

Thank you for your review, and your views on the quality of our single and single superior rooms. Being located in an old building, our rooms are not as standardized as often is the case in hotels, and room/bathroom sizes can vary.
We try to make every room special in its own way, and to highlight its advantages through how it is furnished, in your case with a large bathroom.
However, we would appreciate knowing which room you have stayed in, especially in light of your remark about the smell in the bathroom – also to re-assess this particular room´s category.
It would be so helpful, if you would take the time to contact us about this – you can write att. Mette, our Front Office Manager, to axel@guldsmedenhotels.com, or call +45 3331 3266 and ask for Mette.
Best from all of us at Axel!

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Super convenient to the train station, easy walk if you desire and train directly to airport of even Sweden. With that said, the area is a little seedy but very safe. Short walk to Tivoli and center of Copenhagen about 15 minutes from there. Hotel is insanely boutique in every way and has an environmentally friendly feel. Small but clean and friendly. By far the smallest room I have ever stayed in and I live in New York City where tiny is expected. Was a tight squeeze but for my purposes worked fine. Hotel has bicycles to rent. Will say it was a great deal for the money and served my needs well.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Just to put it clear, this is our favorite hotel and we keep coming back. Great service, great ecolocial allergy friendly breakfast, great beds - so everything should be perfect - except for the fact that you will here boots clamping and suitcases rolling in the corridor if you try to sleep late. No carpets in the hallway, and old wooden floors not the best combination. But here is a great tip room 421. We moved there after the first night. And always grap an ecological apple on your way out.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the room where the headrest of the bed are not on the wall facing the corridor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PetterGulli
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The beds! This was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! I genuinely felt excited about the prospect of settling in each night, with a good book, & feeling sleepy after a session of steaming & soaking in the spa. The beds are firm but there is a soft, futon-like mattress on top of the main mattress that gives you good support but a soft snuggly nest at the same time. It really was bliss! We stayed for 4 nights which made the purchase of spa access good value - there is a dry sauna, steam sauna, cold plunge pool & a jacuzzi. Fresh fruit & nuts are available on a help-yourself basis, as are jugs of water. Reviews on Trip Advisor, & the staff at the hotel, raved about the breakfast so we gave it a go. It was a bit disappointing, actually. The scrambled eggs and bacon are served on a large, unheated plate and so are cold. Cold scrambled eggs are OK, but cold bacon with a layer of congealed fat is not so great. The selection of meat & cheese was good but I would have like to see some hot items (including hot bacon & eggs!). The staff were very friendly & helpful - really lovely people to interact with and were certainly one of the best bits about our stay. The rooms are lovely but, in typical Copenhagen form, very small. It is as though someone has calculated, to the cm, the exact minimum amount of space that 2 people need in order to exist in a room and to these exact specifications the rooms have been constructed. Overall, good value for Copenhagen, especially with the spa, but eat breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple