“Great family stay”

Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 27, 2013

When talking to one of the front desk people he said that some people like the hotel and it is fore them and some don't and it isn't. For myself an my family, we are those people who do like it. On the plus side it is a 3 minute walk from the central station and very close to Tivoli and the sites to be seen in Copenhagen. It is also supposed to be near the trendy meat packing district but we didn't find if. The hotel is dedicated to be environmentally sustainable but other than a different kind of towel, I did not notice any kind of difference from a regular hotel. We stayed in the family room which was 2 adjoining rooms each with their own bathroom and doors between them. It really felt like a 2 bed room apartment. The building is older and if you are someone who likes new and fancy then this place is not for you. If you like charm then you will like it as we did. The thing that really made it for us was the very helpful staff. Without exception they went out of their way to make us feel at home. And as a nice touch they have organic apples available and cookies available gratis.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PoipuSands124
Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed December 26, 2013

The convenience of this hotel to the train station was the factor that had our family of 7 stay there, but it turned out to be one of our favorite hotels of our 2-week trip. Unique and kind of funky, with natural breakfast indoors or out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank thelobachs
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights here - this was a warm and welcoming place for our December visit to Copenhagen, when the daylight was scant and the weather sometimes wet and chilly. Very helpful and professional staff. Some have described the area as a little rough, but it seemed good to us, and very convenient to the central train station for easy transfers to the airport or elsewhere. The cozy lobby area draws you in to spend a few lazy hours; we also lingered over long and delicious breakfast buffets, which to us were worth the extra cost. We could see the beautiful outdoor courtyard garden would be a focal point in the summer. Our room was very nice, the bed comfortable. Others commented that rooms overlooking the central courtyard are quieter - our street side room did have some noise on Saturday night, but were too jet lagged for it to matter, and nothing that ear plugs could not overcome. There is a spa downstairs that we did not try, but it looked good, and prices seemed fair for this very expensive area.

Room Tip: Rooms over the central courtyard are probably quieter, and the courtyard garden is very pleasant. Th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rcccward
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights.
It's absolutely gorgeous and has a lovely eco flow throughout, down to the organic towels.
The bedrooms are lovely, the staff are very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant is also great. We had to stay in due to a bad snow storm and the restaurant was closing but they were very happy for us to stay and looked after us. We had a delicious tapas.
We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I agree with the other reviewer that the location is convenient, but the walls were very thin between the rooms. On top of that there was a constant buzz in the room that kept me awake most of the night. When I asked the receptionist about it they said it was the minibar. If you cannot sleep, you won't be able to sit properly at the desk either because the table is so low that your legs will not fit underneath it.The room was very small, especially the bathroom. Half of the walk in shower entrance was blocked by this bamboo ladder leaning against the wall with towel. It was a rather disappointing stay for what they charge.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank May A
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to Copenhagen from Glasgow for a short city break in October. We stayed at the Axel Guldsmeden for 3 nights. We both really liked everything about the hotel and the eco-friendly theme appealed to us. We paid extra for breakfast each morning and for spa access and I would advise this to anyone thinking of staying at the hotel. From our arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful, couldn't ask for more. Breakfast was really delicious and filled us up until mid-afternoon. The spa was really lovely and relaxing, the cold bath was great! The rooms were quite small but there was adequate room for our belongings and us. It was my boyfriend's birthday while we were there and the hotel were happy to organise breakfast in our room which was a really lovely touch. Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have to reluctantly mark this hotel down. It's a beautiful building, the staff were generally extremely helpful and nice and it was close to the train station and easy walking distance to a lot of sites however for the 3 nights I was there I got very little sleep. As a result I unfortunately left copenhagen exhausted.

The walls between rooms and the hallway were like paper. The first night I could here the guy in the next room snoring all night, on another night a tv in an adjoining room was on till all hours (they did not have it on loud). Every step someone took on the creaky wooden floors in the hallway could be heard. Add to this the drunk idiots in the street below and it all added up to interrupted sleep every night.

Then there was the morning I got to breakfast 20 minutes before it was due to finish and found the whole thing packed up. Yes it was pretty late in the morning but I was late due to trying to catch up on sleep and I wasn't actually late to the stated times for breakfast.

I wanted to like the hotel but these factors combined with the sky high Copenhagen price gets it a 2 from me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo