“Would be happy to stay again”

Copenhagen Star Hotel
Ranked #72 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Cheshire, England
“Would be happy to stay again”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend with friends to visit the city and the Christmas markets.
The hotel was a no frills, good value place - very similar to a Travelodge in England. Our room looked out onto the road, but was very quiet nevertheless. (May be different in summer if you have the windows open). The hotel is perfectly placed for travel and sightseeing, being just a couple of minutes walk from the back entrance to the main station.
The room was fine for a weekend, although if you were staying longer, the lack of shelves or drawers might be a problem. And unusually for cold countries, there were no hooks to hang your outdoor coats on - they would have been useful. The bathroom was clean, but there were no toiletries apart from a soap dispenser, and no bath mat, so the floor by the shower got a bit wet.
Breakfast was good - everything was tasty and fresh, and staff constantly replenished the buffet, even towards the end of service.
Copenhagen is expensive, although not that much more than things in England, and there are plenty of reasonable places to eat and drink. We bought a Copenhagen Card at the airport, but probably didn't save much over paying for things individually. (If you know what you want to visit, there is a calculator on the Card website, which helps you decide if it's worth buying one). It's only valid for one visit a day to Tivoli, so you can't use it to walk through the park on your route into town, and in December, most of the museums, galleries and castles are shut on Mondays, so factor that in as well. We started our stay with a walking tour (copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk) which was excellent and helped us get our bearings as well as giving us lots of info about the city.
Much of Copenhagen is behind hoardings at the moment as they are building a Metro system, so we need another trip in a few years' time to see the city at its best. When we do return, I would happily stay at the Star again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear JJMandS,

thank you for your review of Copenhagen Star Hotel, you truly describe us the way things are.

It can get noisy towards the street if one wants to have the windows open at night, but there is also abetter view of all the tall buildings in the city on the upper floors looking over the street.

We are aware that more shelves and coat hangers could be practical for our guests. There are plans of renovations in motion, but first we need to have an overview of what needs to be done.

Maybe by the next time you come around we did some of the work ;-)

The way the showers are built is rather typical danish style, I´m afraid.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast, and as you say for other meals you can easily fin places with all you can eat buffet eg. for 150,- dkk. Copenhagen is an expensive city, but we can always point you to the right places.

The construction of the metro does take a lot of space up now, but it will be a fantastic addition to the already existing public transport lines.

We´d be happy to welcome you back, should your plans take you to Copenhagen.

Wish you lovely holidays and a happy new year!

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me via my email: es@hotelpropertygroup.dk.

Management Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had four nights at this hotel recently. It is one of many quite close to the Central Station and is certainly convenient. From the airport take a frequent train to the station and be at the hotel within 25 minutes. It is in a slightly seedy area of Copenhagen but it seemed totally safe when we arrived at 9.45 pm. It is certainly a much better area than you will find close to most railway stations!! The walk from the front exit of the station is less than 10 minutes and from a side exit is only 5 minutes.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and we were particularly impressed by those on the front desk. We asked for a quiet room overlooking the courtyard and got what we asked for. Don't expect large rooms but ours was clean, comfortable and warm.

There were problems with a number of televisions in the hotel during our stay but ours was promptly sorted out.

The breakfast is good. Plenty of cereal, some tasty bread with cold meat and cheese plates. The croissants are really tasty!! We were certainly set up well for our daily activities.

The hotel is ideally placed for walking to many of Copenhagen's attractions. Tivoli Gardens are close and we visited these shortly after they had reopened for the Christmas period.

The Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek is 10 minutes walk away with the Nationalmuseet a little further on. Both are superb. We walked to the other main sights too, including the royal palaces and the National Gallery. A boat trip is well worth the money as a quick introduction to the city and one can be accessed by a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

We ate our main meal at lunch by taking advantage of the various buffets available in the city. You can also pick up snacks from the many 7/11 stores in town.

Everyone was really friendly and the whole trip was a great success partly due to the compact size of the main city area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seasonedtravellers50
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Seasonedtravellers50,

We are deligted to hear about your trip in Copenhagen.

I make sure to pass your comments on to my colleagues in the breakfast restaurant and at the reception.

We are sorry about the inconvenience with the Tv, we just intalled a much bigger package with internation channels, and not all the updates were succesful. The maintenance team is on the subject and as far as I know, all the tvs are fixed now.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2013

ok it is in the red light district but only about 100 m from central station. I found courtyard rooms very quiet they and just what I need for business trip where I only sleep in my room. The rooms are very small but all rooms in Copenhagen are small unless you pay a fortune. Compared to hotel 21 or the square, this is less stylish but there was nothing more that counts offered by these others and they cost a lot more. Hotel City near Nyhaven is a bit of a ripoff, dirty with grumpy, cheap owner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CircleFishSquare
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear CircleFishSquare,

thank you for making time for a review of Copenhagen Star Hotel.

Unfortunately our rooms can vary in size due to how the building is divided.

We are glad to hear that you found our central location practical. Unfortunately there can be some sleezy people around the central station, just like in any other capital in the world.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Firstly, the hotel is perfectly located about 100 meters away from the main train station. The road it is on can seem a little dodgy, but the surrounding neighborhood of Vesterbro is great. There is a large selection of restaurants and 7-11s in the area (plus Mikkens bar!) so you won't be lacking for dinner. They checked us in earl, which was nice, but the room was just okay. It had enough space and seemed clean, but the carpets need a deep cleaning (or need to be replaced. The bathroom had a weird smell, probably due to the shower curtain being too short and water getting everywhere. The breakfast buffet was 9 EUR per person and was filling, with a nice selection of hot and cold dishes. Wifi was free and fast, and there were computers with printing capability for guest use downstairs. Danish TV is strange, but we were there to explore Copenhagen, not sit in the room. This hotel is a good choice for a budget traveler trying to find a decent place to stay in expensive Copenhagen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dms9815,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotels good location and breakfast buffet.

Let me apologize for the inconvenience with the bathroom, we had some maintenance issues, which have been solved now.

We are about to get more channels installed at the hotel, so there will be many more international channels.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was at Copenhagen Star Hotel for a weekend a couple of months ago for a work conference booking.

I landed in Copenhagen at maybe 20:00 on a Friday, and things at the hotel were pretty terrible right from the start. The neighbourhood is central and convenient to the train station, but it is undeniably rough.

Late at night, or even early at night, this is not a great area. On arrival I literally had to step over a couple of drunks who were 80% passed out on the hotel's narrow steps. Once the night grew a little later, a gang of prostitutes (4) and one pimp worked the footpath directly opposite the hotel. Within 20 metres of the entrance. You can't really blame Copenhagen Star for that, but it's something to know about the property.

Back to the check-in. The affable but very slow duty manager took an EXTREMELY long time to find my booking. He couldn't find it, so he parked me in reception and then parked a few other guests too.

He was there by himself, and the Copenhagen Star, for whatever reason, was one of those hotels that always had guests coming down because they needed something, or something in the room wasn't right. I waited for him to slowly solve problems for four or five guests. When it was finally my turn, the guy was perfectly friendly, but he still struggled mightily to find the booking.

When he did eventually find it, he mentioned something about the other rooms on our booking not being in the system, or that all rooms were all in my name so the others in our group would need to quote my name when checking in, or the bookings wouldn't show in the system. Or something.

He really couldn't tell me what was going on, except for that something unusual was going on with our booking. Nothing he said filled me with confidence - he clearly didn't really know what he was doing - and I already knew things would definitely go wrong at some point.

The room itself was reasonably sized, but tired and in need of a bit of a clean. In fairness, it was OK. Perfectly inhabitable, but nothing more. The pillows were the lowlight - anemic and flimsy.

On day two, we came back from lunch and saw something I have never seen before. Our bags, now fully re-packed, were sitting behind reception. My shirts, on their hangers, sat behind the check-in staff, who carefully navigated their way around our suitcases and shopping bags as they went about their tasks.

When (politely) questioned on why our bags were packed and sitting in reception, the hotel advised that they had apparently NOT allocated us the room we had booked, confirmed and paid for for two nights, but they'd only allocated us that room for one night.

Furthermore, the hotel needed that room for someone else today, so they had dispatched housekeeping to pack our things and move everything to reception while we were out seeing the town. But they were confident they could find us some sort of room and we wouldn't be out on the street. They did bother contacting us to tell us this was going on.

After calling 15 other hotels, I found that we were unfortunately stuck at the Star for one more night. I was respectfully honest with management about how unacceptable I found it all. This manager was young, but (thankfully) understood that they'd done something that was not at all cool. He offered an upgrade. Excellent.

We sheepishly collected our things from reception, and made our way all the way to the end of the level four corridor to the new room. SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE THAN THE FIRST ROOM. Older, smaller and dirtier to be exact. Unbelievable. When I told him this, he offered me another upgrade room that was ALSO worse than the first, and then finally relented and upgraded us to a two bedroom apartment. This room was big, and OK, but the whole experience was straight out of Fawlty Towers.

The second manager was generally competent (apart from thinking an upgrade to a *worse* room is a good way to placate disgruntled customers) and I almost didn't write this review because of him. I thought 'That young guy did a decent job with a difficult problem that was handed to him, maybe I shouldn't draw attention to the stupendous mess his hotel was'.

But then I thought again. That manager is young enough and smart enough to get himself out of there. Hopefully by now he works at a place that doesn't serve up the chaos, incompetence and Fawlty-esque customer service that was the order of the day at the Copenhagen Star when we stayed there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear David_of_Oslo,

thank you for making the time for a review of Copenhagen Star Hotel.

I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you have experienced, I can assure you that this is an anomaly and not how we run things in the every day. Of course this is no comfort for you, but please be assured that it is our primary intention to exceed our guests expectations.

From what I can make out from your description, the night clerk was my new colleague, who just started in the job that time, of course this is not an excuse for his lack of overview of your reservation. When reserving several rooms, and not giving up a namelist, can cause mix ups in the booking systems, this he might have not been familar with.

I cannot entirely understand how your rooms could seem dirty, cleanliness is an aspect we have an extreme focus on, and get very good review about too. But of course everything is question of expectations and everyone has different ones.

Your bags being packed at the reception is truly unacceptable, when someone has to be moved for some reason, we always contact the guest in the room in question first.

The hotel has 134 rooms, and some of them might seem to be in better shape than others, the sizes of the rooms also vary. We are constantly renovating, painting and fixing what needs to be fixed, but it is a never ending circle.

So to wrap this up, let me offer my apologies on behalf our entire team for not exceeding your expectations, dissapointing you was definitely not our aim.

Management Assistant

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Berlin
Reviewed November 12, 2013

You get what you pay for. Just 100 m away from the Central Station this hotel (like a dozen others around) is the perfect hub for exploring the city. The rooms are big enough, very clean, very quiet (perfect double windows) and well equipped. The staff is friendly and helpful, internet is free and a relaxed lounge is offered as breakfast room and bar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PankowBerlin
Dear PankowBerlin,

thank you for making time for a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location and facilities.

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed November 9, 2013

In general nothing to claim about. Perfect location, just 5 min in walking distance from Central train station. Room was small, but more than enough for single business traveler. Breakfast - could be varied little bit more.
The only thing what was really funny - only 5 TV channels on TV, maybe my TV was not configured properly :).
This might be red district, because there are plenty of sex shops around, but if you do not walk around all the time, then everything is ok.

Also, personally i did not liked that the hairdryer in bathroom was so close to the shower.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear ITexperts,

thank you for making time to give us your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Copenhagen Star Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location. Our single rooms are unfortunately a bit small, but as you say everything is there a single traveller needs.

Our present TV setup does not allow us to install more channels, but that should be solved soon, since we just purchased new equipment to solve this problem and provide a much wider selection of international channels.

Have a lovely day!