“Great value, beside central station, lovely staff”

Copenhagen Star Hotel
Ranked #70 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Great value, beside central station, lovely staff”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We needed a good value hotel for 3 nights, near the central station and within walking distance of city centre. Perfect for our needs. Nothing special about any of it other than excellent staff and good breakfast and clean.

• Stayed September 2013
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear JIbireland,

thank you for making time to review Copenhagen Star Hotel here.

We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our location and staff performance.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me via my email: es@hotelpropertygroup.dk.

Management Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for two nights prior to boarding our cruise ship so we could do a little sightseeing in the city. I chose this hotel for its proximity to Central Station, nearby attractions and its price compared to other hotels in the area. The hotel is a short walk from Central train station, so for 72 kroner (36 kroner each) it is the most cost friendly way to travel from the airport. To get there purchase tickets in the airport just past the luggage retrieval area and go to track 2. This will take you to Central station, from there it is a short five minute walk. To get to the cruise port, go back to the train station and purchase tickets to zone 2 for 24 Kroner and take track 9/10 to the ships. It is four stops to Nordhavn station, then a short ten minute walk from there.

The hotel is older but the rooms are exceptionally clean. The rooms are small, but not smaller than most comparable European hotels I have stayed at. The front desk help was very good and helped us with all our concerns promptly and professionally. No ice is provided in the room but is available upon request at the bar in the lobby. Our room had the basic needs (desk, chair, shower, TV) but it was lacking in some things that I feel are necessary for a hotel. There were few power outlets (one that is activated only when a card is inserted by the door and one for the TV that I unplugged so I could use my CPAP machine), shower with no separate soap and shampoo just a crummy do all soap dispenser and no wash cloths. If you are going to have only a do all liquid soap, you must provide wash cloths to clean yourself. And finally no facial tissue just rough toilet paper that we ran out of twice. A card must be placed in the slot by the door or the room lights do not work. I found out the hard way after falling asleep with some daylight only to fumble around in the black and not be able to turn on any lights till I found the card slot later on. I found the bed to be too soft and not very comfortable.
Our room was facing the court yard. I thought that this would be preferable as the street was quite busy, and with no A/C, an open window is a must on a warm evening. The court yard is a smoking area and the smoke will waft in to the rooms. It didn’t bother me too much but it really seemed to bothered my wife. The loud guests on our second night is what bothered me though, the court yard really amplifies the sound. The hotel cannot be blamed for boors that use the space but if you are unlucky to have such fellow guests either you use earplugs or you close the window and hope the room doesn’t get too warm. This would be a moot point in winter.
I can agree with previous reviewers concerning the breakfast. If it is included with the price of the room (as ours was) it is acceptable, the soft boiled eggs were appreciated but some other hot fare would have been nice. If purchased for 65 kroner (about 13 dollars) it could be better. If not provided in the price of the room I would probably go elsewhere to eat.
In a very expensive city this hotel is at the lower end of the price scale but it is still very expensive for what you get. For the price we paid we could have stayed in a very very nice hotel in Toronto or Montreal.
It is not so bad that I wouldn’t stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisfromTO
Dear ChrisformTO,

thank your for your extensive review of the hotel.

We are glad to hear that you are satisfied with our services, cleanliness and location.

We have the master switch system for electricity in order to save energy, one of our contributions to be environmental friendly.

Having wash cloths is not very typical in european hotels unfortunately, but I have noted your comment on this and will forward it to my colleagues.

I am truly sorry about the inconvenience of the loud guests in the courtyard. The courtyard closes at 11 PM taking into account that most of the guests would like to sleep of course that time.

As you name it yourself this is less of a problem in the winter times. We are sharing the courtyard unfortunately with others whose balconies and windows from surrounding buildings are facing our way, their noise we cannot control unfortunately.

Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Clean, well situated, excellent breakfast, free wi-fi. Good value overall. Not a luxury hotel, but met our expectations and more. Additionally, this property offers triple rooms which saved us having to reserve 2 rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joyce C,

thank you for making time to give us your comments on Copenhagen Star Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is indeed handy for families that we have rooms with place up to five adults.

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Don't expect to be blown away. But it's good value. everything is average except the beds are among the best I've experienced at a hotel. Most are waaay too firm in my opinion.

Big plus to the staff for having the balls to ask two obnoxioux blue-haired American women to get in line with the rest of us when checking out.

Dear SverreBech-Sjothun,

We appreciate your comments here, thank you for making time for that.

We are glad to hear that you liked the beds. We are all different, some like the soft some like the harder mattresses, so it can be hard to please everyone, but we got it right in your case!

Thank you pointing the case with check out out. Sometimes it can get busy, when everyone comes down at the same time in high season.

We suggest to check out in good time, because it is not fair towards the other customers to cut the line because one has to ´catch a flight´ or ´make it to the train in time´. It is important to us that the guests respect each other, therefore it is good to plan in case of a tight time shedule.

We want to give the same courtesy to all our guests when checking out.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here one night on the way to Iceland and it was a perfect place for a quick stopover. It is very close to the Central station (when you get off a train and come out to the terminal, turn left and take the far end exit) and is very reasonable for Copenhagen. We requested a quiet room and was given a room facing the courtyard on the top floor. It was very quiet and we were not bothered by noise at all. The room was big enough although the shower was tiny. Breakfast was very good with a good selection of food. The receptionist was nice and pleasant. WiFi was a bit weak but still worked. The only negative thing was the bed which was not so comfortable but that was okay for one night. We had only a half day in Copenhagen and followed a walking tour route shown on the map we got at the airport, which gave us a good overview of the city. It took us about 4 hours with a stop for beer.

Room Tip: Room facing the courtyard was quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pengapa,

thank you for providing us with your feedback here.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Copenhagen Star Hotel. We are indeed lucky with our location, very handy for those who arrive with trains to the city center.

I am sorry to hear that the WIFI was not working as fast as supposed to, we just upgraded to a 200mbit connection from 100mbit, so we can welcome you back with a better connection next time around!

I make sure to pass your comments on to my colleagues at the reception and breakfast restaurant.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is 3 star so don't expect 5 star. However the room was clean and beds were comfortable. Bathroom had a little mould on the tiles and the shower had great water pressure. Breakfast was plentiful and staff were very pleasant. Very handy to the west exit at the railway station which is a plus. Whilst in the Vestebro area which used to be red light district we only saw a couple of drunks hanging out by the station. Would stay again as it was good value for money.

Room Tip: can be noisy if you face the street but didn't bother us.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marianne208
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Marianne208,

Thank you for making time to review Copenhagen Star Hotel here.

True that we are a 3 star hotel according to Horesta standards, this is also stated on all the online booking channels.

The mould you mention is a note that we take very seriously and we are currently engaged in a big project focusing primary on that at the hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with the breakfast, I will pass your comments on.

It is great that you were not bothered by the city noise, but for your possible future stay you can always ask for a room to face the backyard, there is definitely less noise from there in case you like sleeping with windows open for instance.

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Really nice and clean tourist hotel right next to the railway station with it's non-stop airport connections.
Lively 'red-light' like nabourhood.
But no noise at the hotel.
Fast wifi.
I paid DKK 700 including an OK breakfast. I consider that to be good value.
Will probably be back

• Stayed September 2013
Eszter_Szucs, management assistant at Copenhagen Star Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Jens D,

Thank you for making the time to give us your comments.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our wifi connection is even faster now, we upgraded it to 200 mbit from 100 mbit. We are looking forward to welcome you back, should your plans take you to Copenhagen.