“Great location terrible rooms”

Hotel Du Nord Copenhagen
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August. While the location is great and very close to the Central Station the room I got was terrible on the 5th floor.
The room was outdated, smelly and like a sauna at night which meant leaving a window open all the time.
The shower pressure was poor and there was no shower gel, only soap and shampoo.
On a positive note the front desk staff were pleasant and helpful plus the continental breakfast was good.
Overall it you don't mind poor room quality then its ok otherwise go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 22, 2011

I liked this hotel for its convenience to the train station, and its comfortable and spacious room. It had a lift, private bath, breakfast, and helpful staff. I did not like the neighborhood it was in. From 2-4am there were groups of drunks/druggies in the streets hollering and fighting. I don't know if this is a regular occurence, but it was a bit loud. There's a few bars and strip clubs surrounding the place that must have closed at that time. We stepped over syringes in the street the next day. Hotel was good, neighborhood was sketchy at night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The first thing to say about Copenhagen generally is that it is REALLY expensive. I've done a lot of city breaks and am used to city prices but this was something else. Having said that though, the people are very lovely and the city itself is great - very clean! As two ladies on our own, we asked if there were any areas of the city that we shouldn't "wanderder into" but we were told no, the city is safe.

The hotel itself had recently been refurbished with all new bed linen, towels, etc. Our room was quite large and the bathroom was big too which isn't always the case in city hotels. The room had tea making facilities, TV and a safe. There was loads for breakfast, which was continental, and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The reception people were really helpful too. I guess the only thing I would say was that our room was on the front street and with the windows open it was a bit noisy at night but that's a city break for you!

We took the train from the airport into the city and the hotel is only minutes from the station which we were thankful for. The city is easy to walk around and the hotel is very central. I would recommend the tour buses and the main stops for these were right near the hotel too. The canal tour was also interesting.

Loads of restaurants but, to be honest, we didn't ever do a full three courses as it was just too expensive. Wine and beer is really expensive too. Having said that, the food that we had was fantastic and you did get quite a lot for your money.

One of my favourite things, as I'm cold most of the time even in summer, all the hotels had outdoor eating but each chair had a fleecy blanket to wrap up in. Not that we needed them as, for April (we went at Easter), the weather was unprecidented and I actually got sun burnt, but loved the idea of the fleecy blanket. They were all in good order too which I don't think would happen in England!!

So, in summary, I would go back to Copenhagen and I would stay at this hotel again. The whole experience was lovely.

Oh, one more thing - beware of the cyclists! We nearly got mown down a couple of times by them. Our fault really. We were just getting used to looking out for them when it was time to come home!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SIerraOne
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Room is clean and big. Convenient location. We asked the recepitons about transportation to attractions, they are helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I went to Copenhagen for vacations with my boyfriend for one week. Hotel Du Nord is literally 100 meters walking distance from the Central Station where all the connections are possible from and in short walking distance from all the important sights in the city. The hotel staff is very king and polite, not to mention the general atmosphere of it. Our room was on the fifth floor, quite spacious and comfortable. All premises were clean and well taken cared of. The breakfast buffet was basic, but we never take that into cosideration when it comes to our accommodation quality.
Sum up: Hotel Du Nord is definitely worth the money (when other hotels at the same area are much more expensive). And one piece of advice: When you stay at this hotel, no flexible card for means of transportation is needed, only your feet and good mood.....

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iliana1905
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Maybe the worst hotel in whole Copenhagen?
I am in Copenhagen a couple of times a month, so I´ve stayed at quite a few hotels , but never experienced as bad service as in this hotel.
First of all, they require your bankcard information, but won´t draw the money, unless you don´t show up. My mistake, that I had not read the papers carefully enough(being use to, when giving card number etc. the payment is usually drawn directly from the card). So when I arrived, I didn´t have the company mastercard with me, so had to pay for the first night out of my own pocket. I then called my colleague the next morning (as I arrived rather late at night) and asked her to fix the payment for the next night. When going down 10 mins. later, the girl at the desk told me everything was taken care of. I asked specifict, if the payment for the next night had gone through and she said yes. I then returned after being at work all day, to find the door to my room locked(with my things in it). I went down to the reception, where the girl from last night was sitting again and asked why I couldn´t get in, I was told because I hadn´t payed for the next night. I told her it had been taken care of and her colleague had said it was okay, but she just said, she couldn´t find the fax, so no, it hadn´t. Also, if I would have wanted my things, I should have taken them with me, according to her. My colleague then had to once again send the fax, and when the receptionist realized her misstake, she just laughed stupidly at me.
Lovely hotel really(please sense the sarcasm) they lock you out, even though you´ve payed, won´t let you get your things and won´t even apologize, after making such a misstake.
Oh yes, and on top of it, I was then awoken the next morning(which was the first night in about 2 weeks, where I´ve gotten more than 4-5 hours of sleep) by the maid barging into my room, while I was asleep.
If you are looking for a nice hotel in Copenhagen, there are plenty to choose from. If you´re just looking for a central hotel on a budget, there are also loads on Istedgade. But please do not stay at this one, I´ve never experienced worse service in my whole life.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank SaraEskildsen
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Perfect location - minutes from train station and close to Tivoli, Stroget, etc. Great bathroom/shower, locked luggage room provided flexibility after checkout, very good breakfast. Charming atmosphere. Wished I'd booked another night to spend more time there/in Copenhagen. Rooms for 1 adult/2 teens are hard to find, but this worked great. A little bit of road/traffic noise, but comfortable beds and good service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family