“A Fine Luxury Option in Copenhagen!”
Review of Hotel D'Angleterre

Hotel D'Angleterre
Ranked #1 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Chatham, New Jersey
“A Fine Luxury Option in Copenhagen!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Hotel D’Angleterre is a beautifully restored property situated on a prime parcel of Copenhagen real estate. The wife and I arrived for a four night stay in the period leading up to Christmas, when the Hotel, restaurants, streets, Christmas markets and people of Copenhagen were at their fullest level of holiday cheer, which turned out to be a great time to visit.

Check-in was pretty simple. Our taxi pulled up to the Hotel and a bellboy met us and whisked the bags inside. Unfortunately our room wasn’t ready quite yet as we were early, so we sat down at the bar to have a snack. The bar right off the lobby is on the smaller side, with several tables surrounding a small curved bar. On the weekend we were there it was unusual to see any empty tables, as hotel guests or visitors took the opportunity to enjoy a drink or a bite to eat and get out of the cold for a minute. The only improvement I could suggest for this space would have been to build the bar differently! There was no indentation in the bar for your legs to dangle, so our knees would hit up against the bar. This is just a minor complaint for an otherwise nice little bar.

Our room was spacious and clean but slightly disappointing in two respects - our room was on the inside of the hotel with no view, and the layout of the furniture was odd. We had a Junior Suite – I’d imagine there are Junior Suites with views out to the front of the hotel but I didn’t ask so am not sure. We were just happy to finally be there after traveling overnight so we just decided to settle in. The second issue was that the layout was odd. The room was spacious – a big rectangular box – where a little creativity with the furnishings would have gone a long way. There was a big open space I the room that wasn’t used. If they had created a separate sitting area with the couch, chair and coffee table that were scattered around the room, the layout would have flowed much better. The room was very nice, though. The furnishings were new and comfortable, there was a good amount of closet space, there was a small balcony, and the bathroom was very nice, large and well appointed.

The spa was great. They had just completed the indoor swimming pool before we arrived. It would have been great if the water was a little warmer but I’m guessing it was on the cool side on purpose because the pool sits right outside the sauna and steam room (Which strangely we never saw another person using while we were there). The spa features an extensive treatment menu although the treatments we had weren’t amazing by any stretch, but it probably comes down to personal preference and the therapist you receive. The gym was very nice for a hotel gym, and had a bunch of equipment to use along with complementary bottled water.

The location of the Hotel is fantastic. You are a short walk away from the Harbor, and the main pedestrian shopping street is literally right next door. You can also walk to Tivoli Gardens although we did not – took a cab instead! We had lunch at a restaurant called Fish Market which is on a street that runs parallel to the hotel, and thought it was great. Balthazar, the Hotel’s champagne bar, was equally great. It was always packed on the days that it was open. The bartenders were pros and could mix a good drink. We got the sense that some locals visited as well and it wasn’t just tourists which is a good sign. We also had drinks at the restaurant right across the street from Balthazar and we would recommend that as well.

Hotel D’Angleterre is a great option for your visit to Copenhagen. We thought its best features were the overall class and elegance of the place, and the great location which is central to most of the sights, some great restaurants and bars, and shopping.

Some Copenhagen recommendations: 1) have dinner at the Nimb hotel overlooking the lit up Tivoli Gardens; 2) get a cuban cigar at the Davidoff near the hotel and if it’s warm enough, smoke it on a stroll, and if it’s not, smoke it at Hviids Vinstue, which is a little bar right down the street from the hotel which has a small smoking room; 3) take a taxi to a street called Ravnsborggade, which contains a bunch of vintage clothing stores and antiques shops; 4) have dinner at Kodbyens Fiskebar in the meatpacking district for some very solid seafood.

Room Tip: Our internal facing room was very quiet but we would have preferred a room with a view. Make sure t...
4 Thank bullet78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We spent a lovely afternoon at D'Angleterre, drinking the best THICK hot chocolate in northern Europe. We secured a nice corner sofa spot enjoying the best chocolate and festive atmosphere in Copenhagen. The main lobby area, around the fireplace, was perfectly decorated with Christmas ornaments, marshmallows, nutcrackers etc. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank alexandrosg
Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Lovely hotel easily reached via Metro system from airport with very friendly, attentive staff. Currently, the outside of the hotel is set out to look like a huge theatre with toy soldiers and masses of lights - so pretty, and photographed by all, including us! The refurbished interior is very welcoming with cool greys and whites throughout. More lovely Christmas decorations on a sweet shop theme - yummy! Our room was very well appointed with a very comfy bed. No view as we were in the centre (I think) of the hotel, but very quiet and peaceful. The only glitch, as mentioned by another reviewer, was the bar service. No problems the first night - excellent service, but on the second night there appeared to be a private event in the dining area adjoining the bar and I suspect that they were a bit overwhelmed. If they had acknowledged us and maybe explained that they were a bit pushed it would have helped - but not even an acknowledgement that we were there, or waiting for a further 15 minutes for service. We eventually gave up and went next door to the Balthazar champagne bar - which rocks! (Every night). We subsequently left a note with the Duty manager explaining the problem and highlighting how easily the hotel's otherwise excellent service could be ruined by something as simple as shortage of bar staff. Immediate apologies followed. This was a tiny glitch in an otherwise superb visit and it would not deter me from staying here again. Roll on next Christmas!

1 Thank MrsNP712
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Service was great from the moment I arrived until I left. Food was very good; I ordered room service and also had breakfast in the restaurant. Rooms were very luxurious, a good size, and very well appointed. I had 2 Bang and Olsen TV’s in mine. I regularly stay in Copenhagen and this is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. I am planning on staying again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nick S
cheltenham
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel located right in the center of Copenhagen. It's warm and cosy sitting in the bar drinking hot choc with whipped cream and a few extra choc chunks on the side for extra chocky goodness whilst outside the Christmas lights twinkle. Really magical
My first hot choc for 40 years, I was like a little kid again with my snozzer pressed against the window of a sweet shop. This was pure indulgence and as Forest Gump says " I could have drunk a million of those", he also said "life is like a box of chocolates" but that has no relevence here at all!
Just enjoy

3 Thank valhalla13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I recently visited D'Angleterre for drinks and was extremely disappointed.
I'd read about the renovation and wanted to see it for myself before deciding to stay there so I called in for drinks in the bar by the main entrance.
The two barmen acknowledged me on arrival and took my order but there was no conversation, no chit-chat, and most importantly - no atmosphere whatsoever. The seats were all so small you could only perch on them (I'm not fat) and the decor made me feel like I was in a woman's dressing room.
I walked about to see what the other public areas looked like and found it all to be totally devoid of any real style or atmosphere - just very cold and austere.
To be fair I would try it again but on this visit I was most unimpressed and would suggest that they send their staff to Nimb for some lessons in customer service and how to make guests feel welcome.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Mark T
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Been coming to Copenhagen since 1996 for business and spent many nights at this Grand Dame or the Hotel D'Angleterre prior to its closure and renovation. The hotel reopened last spring it's simply a masterpiece; rich interiors, spectacular décor, excellent food and preparation and the best bar I've been to in years. Staff are always friendly and very helpful. The breakfast buffet is first class. My room (Junior Suite) was stunning, modern appointments and two Bang & Olufsen televisions, huge shower and bath. Views from the large terrace on the 4th floor are beautiful, covering popular Nyhaven. The new champagne bar (Balthazar) is superb, headed by bartender extraordinaire, Jannick. We spent every night in his company as he prepared some of the most incredible cocktails I've ever seen. Definitely worth bringing your guests to entertain. Sit at the bar and marvel at his creations. Don't bring a budget...worth every penny. Bravo to D'Angleterre!

Room Tip: Junior suites are beautiful. Had Room 401...large, wrap-around terrace. What a view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business