“Change of mind in the last minute”
Review of Ascot Hotel

Ascot Hotel
Ranked #61 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My original review, providing only one star, was recorded in anger as even though this is a very convenient and economic hotel at the city centre and near the railway station, my impression was damaged from the beginning for quite a few reasons. At first I was given a room at the 3rd floor, which, being an attic, was too short for me to walk through. Then I was moved at the 1st floor only to be waken at 6 am from trolleys transferring laundry. The personnel's indifference at my protest was wat angered me the most and wrote a quite bad review. Yet the last night of my stay I was provided a nice room on the 2nd floor (where I enjoyed my lost sleep) and complimentary breakfast, which I guess shows that some of the hotel's personell act in a professional manner. Unfortunately many others do not, and this is a pity because in tourism bussiness the first impact is the people's hospitality, which was not a common value at this hotel. Objectively, if you are lucky to select the correct room, the hotel is OK but if things go wrong pray to complain to the right person cause most probably all other employees will just not care!

Room Tip: Not on the 3rd if an attic, Not on the 1st if over where the laundry is shipped
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. The reception and all the staff were friendly and matter-of-fact which is a trait I like. The location of the hotel is very good as you can walk to most places. The room was on the small side, but quite adequate for my needs, and I especially appreciated the free wifi that was easy to set up. The ceiling sloped down on the windows side so had to be careful not to bang my head - did not in the end. The breakfast was all right, nothing special but again quite adequate for me. I would happily stay here again if ever went back to Copenhagen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having stayed at several other hotels in Copenhagen in the past, we chose the Ascot for a second stay in April 2013. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to all
the major attractions and also within a block or two of the train. The hotel is an old building,
but that is to be expected in the City - however, the interior has been remodled recently and
very nicely appointed. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Vathrooms are clean and modern, even have a heated towel drying bar set that works tood in drying clothes in you need to hand wash anything. The breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of food choices and all so very good! Our luggage took two days to catch up with us and the hotel staff was extremely helpful in placing phone calls to assist with this. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The biggest asset of this hotel is its location. It is positioned right in the heart of Copenhagen and within walking distance from all major attractions. The hotel building is old and at places it looks a bit tired. It must have been renovated in the last couple of years although some of the furniture look like the came from an IKEA shop. Nevertheless it's a clean and comfortable place to stay and the overall decor is not distasteful. Overall it is what you would expect from a 4 start city centre hotel and the price was not too bad either. Our stay included breakfast that offered a large selection of hot and cold food, fruit and pastries. The staff at the hotel were pleasant and were helpful on occasions although not very helpful at other. Another good thing about the hotel is that it's surrounded by 4 restaurants that can be accessed from the hotel and as a guest you would be entitled to 20% discount. The hotel is also connected to a spa offers 10% to guests. I tried the spa that looked more like a beauty shop but provided good professional service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hotel is lovely, my room was very spacious and cozy. We didn't try breakfast.
The only thing that disappointed me is the staff. At front desk, staff really cold. Not unfriendly but not even nice. The only question regarding info about the city was answered in very superficial way.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hotel is lovely, my room was very spacious and cozy. We didn't try breakfast. Not sure it looks like a 4 star but it is very nice. I felt there were missing some amenities for 4 stars, like slippers, shower cap, ... But I can't complain, again, rooms and hotel are nice.
The only big disappoint is the staff. At front desk, staff really cold, almost unfriendly. The only question regarding info about the city was answered in very superficial way.
Also, we came back from city sightseeing around 3pm and they hadn't cleaned the room yet. When the ladies arrieved we were in the room so we asked to make the room after 5 as we woudl be gone by that time. They said yes. We asked for fresh towels at least but they only had 1 big one,no more. At the end, when we came back at night noticed that But they finally never made our room. Not a 4 star staff.
Location is very confortable.

Room Tip: We had the triple, lovely
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed one night here whilst picking a car up from Hellerup, hovedstaden just outside Copenhagen. We choose it because of the private parking and rating from other users. Although our time spent there was minimal we did have a drink in the bar, breakfast and hired bicycles to tour the city. The room was clean and comfortable, staff were friendly and helpful. At the time of our stay maintenance work was being undertaken - painting and decorating - and this was all being done as considerately as possible for guests, no noise was heard from these works at all.

Good hotel and the parking was excellent as Copenhagen is the European cycle city and cars are second or third place in most areas so hotels with secure parking are fairly rare.

The room was too warm for me so I turned the radiators off and opened the windows, this was the only downside for me. I would return given the opportunity and recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends