“Handy for the City Centre”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #49 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A very handy hotel to the city centre. Walking distance to the city. A good restaurant with a chef who understood what gluten free food was. Handy to many cafes and shops as well as all the sight seeing areas.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelalotLAS
There are newer reviews for Imperial Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very close to city centre.
Just a couple blocks from trivoli gardens.
Many excellent coffee and restaurants around the area.
Hotel was excellently maintained.
Staff very friendly.
Included meal supplied to our tour group in the hotel restaurant was very well prepared and tasty.
If not traveling with Globus. I would stay there again

Room Tip: Stayed on the third floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Riorouge
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is in a very good location, with most of the main attractions nearby. It is literally a 5-10 minute walk from the central station, which has a direct link to the airport. We read up on this beforehand and didn't bother getting a taxi from airport to hotel. Trains leave from airport to central station every 20 minutes and cost 36 Kroner (around £4.50). Trains are very clean.
We walked to the Little Mermaid, in just over a hour. The Tivoli Gardens is about 5-10 minutes walk away, very close to the station.

Overall, the hotel was quite good, but a few niggles made it forfeit 4 stars.

Firstly, we were given a room on the 3rd floor that had a solid floor as opposed to a carpet. This is advertised on the website as an "allergy" room. As someone who has laminate floors at home, I know that they can get dusty if not swept regularly. By the time to check out came around, after a 3 night stay, there was quite a lot of dust & fluff on the floor. Perhaps not important to some people, but it irritated me a bit. However, the beds were really comfy and we slept very well.

Next niggle was that the hotel put a little notice in the bathroom asking you to be kind to the environment and try to re-use your towels, as changing towels every day costs soap, electricity etc. I don't have a problem with this, and indeed re-use my own towels at home, but there was no heated towel rail in the bathroom to dry them off. There were 4 towels, but only 3 pegs on the wall-strange! YET-after only 2 nights at the hotel, they changed the bedding! Why preach about the towels but not the sheets??

Only other niggle was that the water pressure in the shower was very poor. The bathroom itself was lovely. All white, chrome, tiles, glass & mirrors but with a shower that simply trickled.

However, on a positive note, the breakfasts were very good. Large selection of breads, pastries, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, fruit juices, iced water, tea, coffee, fruit & herbal teas, hot chocolate, cold cuts, cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages,and-chips!

I would recommend the hotel but wouldn't make a return visit as I have no wish to return to Copenhagen. I've always wanted to visit, and can now tick it off my wish-list. It is a nice city, and we saw what we wanted to see, but it is very expensive.

TIP:- Head towards the Planetarium, and on the opposite side of the road is "Kennedy's Irish Bar" This is somewhere we wouldn't normally visit as we like to eat and drink with the locals (having said that, it was full of Danish people every night!), but the beer here was cheap-only 40Kr a pint (about £5) compared to 69 Kr in the restaurant of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor seem to be "allergy rooms" ie no carpet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuePete4
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here for three days while on a business trip in early May. My room was very spacious, well kept and modern. It must have been recently renovated. But traffic outside was sometimes disturbing. Even though I was on the fourth floor, I was woken up early two mornings by delivery trucks outside my window. But as a base for discovering the city, it was excellent with walking distance to Ströget and Nyhavn and the nice area surrounding those places.

One thing that annoyed me on a couple of occassions was that the elevator capacity was low. There were three elevators each with the room for three people with bags. When me and my colleagues arrived there was another group arriving at the same time. This meant that we had to wait for some ten minutes to get up to our rooms. Breakfast buffet had quite little to choose from, and was somewhat of a disappointment. But lunches in the Hotel restaurant were better.
All in all, the Imperial was an ok hotel for a couple of days, but offered little that would make me want to go back.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My girlfriend & I stayed here for three nights & found the hotel convenient for our needs & in a central location. Our room was on the 6th floor which faced out to the back of the hotel (no great view but we didn't go to look out of our hotel window!). The room was very clean & adequately sized with a large bathroom, no complaints. The hotel is centrally located, close to Central Station (max 10mins walk) & over the road from Vesterport Station. It is also five minutes walk from Tivoli & from there, onto Stroget (main shopping street). The Danish Design Center opposite Tivoli is worth a look. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Imperial, although I feel that there were a few things they could have done to make things better. If you get a good deal on the room rate, it is definitely worth a stay. You would be hard pressed to find a better location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Overall, I think it was a very nice hotel. Very clean and up to date and pleasant and helpful staff. The only problem we had was getting the lights by the bed to work and the desk clerk didn't even know how to turn them on. On day two a maintainance person came and flicked the right switch. The other problem was the price of food and drinks but that's all over Copenhagen. I think I paid $7.50 for a small diet Coke in the bar. Very centrally located to everything. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Really good breakfast. Very small rooms more a businessman hotel rather than for visitors. However very central. Easy to get to the hop on off tourist bus though.
We only stayed one night and if we were going to Copenhagen again would seek out an hotel in the old part of the city.

• Stayed: March 2013