“One of the best values in Copenhagen”
Review of Annex Copenhagen

Annex Copenhagen
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I liked this hotel and would stay there again, because it is great value given its central location. Yes, their are a few ladies of the night that hang around the nearest intersection and a few sex clubs around, but this is Europe and just part of the local scenery. A couple blocks away is Tivoli Gardens, the famous family friendly amusement park, and many expensive three star hotel are in the same area, including the regular Absalon hotel. The area is very safe. We came back around midnight to the hotel every night and had no issues at all. The annex has shared showers and restroom, but they were very clean and uncrowded while we were there. In fact, I liked the shower better than the more expensive hotels we stayed at in Sweden and Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeFromTampa
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for the review on Absalon Annex and our neighborhood. This is also how we see the area. Next time we suggest you rent bikes at the Front Desk to easily get around the city.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel is close to the central station. But the area is not so good. The rooms are really basic but clean. Toilets and showers are close but this remains an inconvenience. WiFi access in the room. Breakfast is all right. There is plenty to choose from, but their coffee is tasteless. Good array of Danish pastries as it should! The reception lounge is nice since the annex shares it with Absalon Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet. I heard that the street rooms are a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We recently upgraded the Annex to offer free Wi-Fi and I am pleased to see you took advantage of this service.

We will taste the coffee again, as we usually get many positive comments on our breakfast including the coffee. But then again taste is difficult to agree on - for this reason we have close to 2o different teas.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Absalon Annex is a short walk from the train station and Tivoli Gardens. I got a room facing the courtyard and it was very quiet @ night. Price was great. The hotel is a bit worn but no big deal. Copenhagen is a safe, wonderful, fairy-tale city with lots to see. Many free museums, lots of beautiful buildings, fountains, statues. Another great bicycling city, the city is fairly compact and there are bike paths everywhere. The city is very flat, only hill I can recall is just before the zoo, it wasn't that steep.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The Absalon is an excellent hotel. Very, very high quality customer service. The breakfast was superb and plentiful.

I was in the Annex, so the rooms were dated but clean and comfortable. The showers outside the room were very nice. The bathrooms were clean.

Many have commented on the location. It is two blocks from the train station. Very convenient. That area has lots of hotels, many nice ones, but it also has sex shops and gentlemen's clubs. I walked to the train station at 2:30 a.m. All was quiet and very safe. I never felt unsafe in the neighborhood.

Two issues:

One the toilet seat in one of the bathrooms was broken. It was the only one available the first morning, and I made the poor choice to use it. Result: large bleeding pinch on my bum. Most disappointingly, it was still not fixed four days later.

The staff at the breakfast is vigilant about cleaning tables. There is enough space for everyone, with an extra room down a few stairs. Everytime I made a move to get up for more tea, they swooped in and cleared my space, even completely untouched places. As a solo traveler, this was stressful. I tried to tell them and hurry, but still someone else would come in and clear my place, which meant I had to find a new one. I finally wised up and left lots of personal possessions and a map on the table. They still cleared my plates, but, at least, I didn't have to keep changing tables.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The Absalon Annex is very basic. I had a room with two single beds pushed together in it, a sink in one corner, a TV in the other and a desk. The decor was very tired but the room was clean and I got two good enough night's sleep in it. There are shared toilets and showers which I hadn't realised and so that was a surprise (I was travelling for work and my accommodation was booked by someone else) but I guess for the money it is good value. I was in a room on the first floor and it seemed that on that floor there were 3 showers and 3 toilets for a lot of rooms (maybe 20-30). I never had any problems with having to queue but decided to shower in the evening before going to bed rather than risk a long queue for a shower in the morning. Breakfast is served in the Absalon Hotel next door and is generous with a lot of choice on offer.

My biggest complaint is that the cleaners left the window in my room wide open after cleaning the room. With my room only being on the first floor it would have been perfectly possible for someone to enter and take my stuff. Not what I would have expected.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

First of all, thank you for your valauble comments.

Secondly, I like to apologize for the cleaner, who left the window open. We continuously train our maids especially in safety and security issues, as this is of high importance to us. I am sorry for the mistake.

Based on previous feedback it is usually not a problem with the shared showers.
There are maximum 13 rooms on each floor sharing the showers.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Very central location, close to the main station and tivoli. We had a room to the back, which was very quiet. Shared bathrooms and showers are very clean. Good breakfast. Just take in account that the surrounding streets are a bit of a red light district, also some homless people and drug users hang around. But we had no problems, the hotel seems to be aware of it having a good security.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Really terrific location, just a 5 minute walk from the main train station and Tivoli Gardens. Most of the museums and sights you'll want to see in Copenhagen are no more than a 15-30 minute walk tops from the hotel (E.G., National Museum, Stroget, Nyhavn, etc.) Friendly staff with excellent customer service - I showed up a few hours before official check-in time with no warning, and though the front desk was swamped, the staff still did their best to accommodate me. They repeatedly gave me updates on the status of my room being readied, and they even threw in a free upgrade to a private bathroom (when my booking was for a shared bathroom), even though they absolutely didn't need to at all. Amazing breakfast buffet. I read this in a bunch of other reviews and thought yeah, yeah, whatever, but no seriously, Absalon offers an amazing breakfast buffet (which was included free in our booking). I was flabbergasted by the variety offered. Definitely not your run of the mill continental breakfast, and it's an especially great deal when you consider how expensive eating in Copenhagen is. Absalon isn't located in a particularly nice part of town, but I personally didn't feel unsafe walking to and from the hotel at night as long I stuck to the well-lit, higher-traffic streets, which is very very easy to do.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple