“Good hotel let down by a few things”
Review of Scandic Copenhagen

Scandic Copenhagen
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had a 13 night stay here on business. Stayed on the top floor which was serviced by its own lift which was a good touch. My room 1806 did have a few issues for what we would say is a four star hotel. Firstly the Bang and Oulfson stereo was broken, trim pieces of wood on the window sill were hanging off, wardrobe handles hanging off. There was no safe either. Coffee and tea was not replenished on a daily basis either.
Breakfast was ok if you like the continental but if you want full English type don't bother. Also you just walked into the breakfast room know body ever asked my room number? It also had the feel of a canteen. On a weekend it was very busy with many tables not cleared or cleaned.
The bar area in the lobby is a great place to stand enjoy a drink. I did enjoy my stay at the Scandic as the hotel is centrally located and the staff are all friendly and helpful. For a weekend break its a good place to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, in spite of the issues you mentioned.

We have recently undergone an extensive renovation of the entire hotel. However, there are still a few areas that have yet to be completed. These are mainly the breakfast restaurant, the fitness room and our top floor. The top floor was converted into executive rooms and suites in the late 90’s and is therefore the last floor to be refurbished this time around.
The project will begin in mid June. The rooms are still in service until then, but I have removed room 1806 until the problems you mentioned have been resolved.

Regarding your impression of our breakfast restaurant it is unfortunately not an entirely uncommon comment. It is a bit of a challenge to provide breakfast for up to 1000 guests, while maintaining a calm and tranquil atmosphere. However, as mentioned above, we will start refurbishing this area in June and we have been looking into ways of minimizing this ‘canteen feel’ you mentioned. I hope you will have a chance to see the final result.

Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to Scandic Copenhagen in the future.

Best regards,

Nicolai Kristensen
Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Scandic Copenhagen

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a really big and busy convention hotel. Check-in was smooth. My room was on the fourth floor and was fairly large although it was a bit spartan in decoration for my taste. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The hotel prides itself of being very eco-friendly and in line with that they did not offer individual bathroom amenities but had these soap, shampoo and lotion dispensers on the walls. The water pressure in the shower was not powerful enough for my taste. Breaksfast room was huge and the selection was very good. The hotel has a fitness room and it was a bit small when you consider the size of the hotel, but for runners the location of the hotel is perfect as you can run around a canal that is just outside the hotel lobby. The hotel is also very well situated for transport as there is a short walk from the hotel to a train station and the main train station is only about 5 minutes away on foot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Morten N, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2015

Dear gudrunjenny,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My company organized a two-day a high-level conference in April with participants coming from 11 Former Soviet Union Countries. We got a good package deal with hotel accommodations, conference room and catering services, which included coffee breaks, lunch and an excellent dinner on the first night. Everything was efficiently organized including airport transfer. The day when our participants were supposed to arrive - a day before the conference, airport transfers had to be cancelled and re-booked due to the Lufthansa strike, and the concierge managed this well without losing any of our participants.

The rooms are a little small and basic, but were clean and tastefully furnished. There is a safety deposit and to my surprise, an ironing board and a flat iron. The buffet breakfast is adequate and varied, so it catered to every taste. Service at the reception and restaurant was quick and efficient. The location is great, so our participants were able to explore the city by foot without having to use valuable time for transport.

Definitely, highly recommended for conferences or for a short stay whether for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Request a room in upper floors with a view of the lake.

Dear Exelcis,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Scandic Copenhagen is conveniently located about 5 minutes walk from the station, and within walking distance of all the main sites of the city centre. From the outside a bland 60's tower, inside it has clearly been renovated quite recently, to quite a trendy design. The lobby and bar area is airy and fun, and there are also some tables outside for when the weather is nice. The rooms are quite small, but modern. I had a city view room which was decorated with a collage of city-themed pictures, which makes a very nice change from the usual bland hotel style. Being quite high up meant I had a nice view of the city. The rooms on the other side have a view of the lake. Everything is functionally designed, there are a range of power points in the room, and the free wifi works well. The room and the hotel in general were very clean. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet was great, it comes included with the room rate and offers a good spread of items, the bread is especially nice. A plus if you are wandering around Copenhagen is that the hotel is a very visible presence on the skyline so you are not likely to get lost. Downsides were the size of the room, which was small, and the fact that there was no tea or coffee maker in the room, a very annoying continental European habit!

Room Tip: Decide whether you want a lake or city view.

Dear Daniel M,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I had stayed in the Scandic Copenhagen, on Vesterbrogade, a few times over the past few years. As I was meeting my daughter and grandchildren off a flight from the UK I decided to stay there for one night on my own as the hotel and area were familiar. The hotel had also had an update since our last stay and I was eager to see what had been done.

Checking in went smoothly but I was a little disappointed when I was informed that my standard room did not have a bath as I had included this request on my booking form. The receptionist managed to find me a room with a bath but said that requests were just that and there was no guarantee of fulfilment.

My room was on the 6th floor,and although it had no real view, the décor was very impressive. I could sit at the desk and look out the window. Most hotels have a desk in a corner with a view of a wall. I had brought a kettle along as I knew the standard rooms were not equipped with tea making facilities. It was all in all very relaxing as was the lovely bath. The toiletries were in dispensers on the wall but I was pleased with the quality. Initially there was a problem with the room key as they were experiencing general problems with the computer regarding room keys but this was soon rectified..

The safe in the room was large enough to accommodate a 15” laptop quite comfortably. The free WiFi was an additional bonus. I was impressed by the BaByliss free standing hair dryer as opposed to the hair dryers often in hotel bathrooms that are attached to the walls. The coat hangers were also not attached which I usually find very annoying to detach.

The selection at breakfast the next morning was not as impressive as on previous visits but offered both hot and cold dishes. I did miss the bowls of fresh mixed fruit salad but settled for a fresh banana instead.

During the simple check out process I was able to confirm a booking made for the following Wednesday and confirm that there was indeed a bath in our room and that of our daughter.

During the check in on the Wednesday we found that although my daughter's family room did have a bath there was no bath in our superior extra room. I was rather annoyed at this as it had been confirmed by the receptionist on the previous visit less than a week before. While we were about to accept the offered room without a bath, the receptionist offered us an upgrade from the superior extra room that we had booked, to a junior suite. We agreed to the change so that we could enjoy a relaxing bath after a long day of sightseeing. My daughter was satisfied with the room she had been given. There were two single beds and a double couch had been set up in the room to accommodate her and the two children. Her only complaint was that there was no bathmat so she had to use one of the hand towels for a mat. We remembered that the Scandic had underfloor heating in the bathrooms and hence did provide a bathmat.

Although our daughter was accompanied by her two children aged 8 and 11 they did not receive the advertised welcome gift or information about things for children to do at the hotel and no play areas or books etc. were offered.

Our junior suite on the 9th floor was double the size of the standard room with a dividing wall between the sleeping and living areas. It was fitted with a couch and two chairs, plus coffee table. There was a TV monitor in both rooms and the rooms could be shut off with sliding doors, if required. We noted, however, that it had not been used for some time since there was a layer of dust on the work spaces and coffee tables.

Disappointingly, what it did lack was the coffee/tea making facilities, the special toiletries, dressing gown and the 50DKK voucher that would come with our superior extra room. On our way out for the evening we requested a tray with coffee/tea making facilities to be brought to our room. This made a considerable difference to our stay as early morning tea is a pleasure we enjoy. The room had an excellent view of the lakes, and windows covered the whole wall of the two rooms. It was pleasant to be able to open the windows for fresh air. Again the room safe was the same size as in the standard room.

Breakfast was as previously mentioned. Check out went well and I again requested our superior extra room for our two night booking in June to include a bath. This was noted by the receptionist. I look forward to seeing if this request is satisfied. My husband also holds a Scandic frequent user card.

The Scandic Hotel chain offers a wide range of hotels and there are a number within Copenhagen City. This one is convenient to the town centre, central station and Tivoli Gardens.

I would recommend this hotel for all travellers from families, couples, singles to business people. The foyer/reception area was white, bright and airy with a forest theme based on trees. The bar serves good coffee but a bottle of wine could cost up to 500DKK. There are four elevators so there was no problem getting to the rooms. The room key provided was used to operate the elevator and the lighting in the rooms. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, no tourist maps or guidance was offered but it was assumed that we knew our way around. I did notice some sheets of maps near the hotel shop which was in the foyer and open 24/7 for coffee and snacks.

On this visit we did not use the fitness facilities or the hotel restaurant for meals.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a great view on all sides
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Wilma S
Scandic_Copenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel.
We are constantly working on improvements and feedback from our guests is an essential tool in doing so.

Let me respond to your points one by one.

It is, unfortunately, common practice in most hotels, not to guarantee specific room features, such as view, floor, bath tub etc. Requests like these will always be ‘depending on availability’. There are a number of reasons for this. Let me give you a couple of examples. 1)The room with the requested feature might be out order on the day of arrival, 2) Perhaps the previous guest decided to extend his/her stay by a few days, or 3) Maybe the room was assigned based on the request of another guest arriving the day before.
There are simply too many dynamic factors and unknowns for us to be able to guarantee specific features. We will do everything we can to fulfill requests, but it would be unethical for us to make promises we are not 100% sure we can keep.

I am glad you enjoyed the view and the placement of the desk. We are very proud of the great view from our rooms and giving our guests the opportunity to enjoy Copenhagen ‘from above’ has been an essential element in our new design.

We often receive positive feedback regarding our breakfast buffet, but we are always open to new suggestions and improvements. I will forward your comments to our Head Chef.

You should have received a welcome gift for the children when you checked in. This must have been an oversight from the receptionist. I apologize.
We do have activities for children. There is a playroom in the breakfast restaurant with books, toys and a Playstation. There is also a foosball table and a Nintendo Wii in the lobby, conference lobby or downstairs depending on the level of activity. In the summer and during school holidays we set up additional activities.

King Superior Exstra rooms are the only rooms that come with coffee/tea sets and bathrobes as standard. I find it very strange that your room did not have any of these amenities and that you did not receive the 50DKK voucher. The only plausible reason I can think of, is that you were actually upgraded to a Junior Suite instead of a King Superior Extra. I will be happy to look into this if you contact me directly.

Electric kettles are available on request free of charge, as you noticed. Other amenities are also available on request, most of them free of charge. This is due to esthetic and environmental concerns.

The counter you noticed in front of the shop is our Concierge Desk. The Concierge is there to help our guests with everything from sightseeing and directions to transportation and dinner reservations. This extra service is only provided in a few of the largest hotels in Copenhagen.

There is a lot of information to take in when you check in to a hotel. Some guests are eager to get to their room in a hurry other guests are interested in information about hotel facilities, etc. We obviously have check-in guidelines, but receptionists will often have to assess which and how much additional information each individual guest is interested in. In order to make check-in swift and efficient, which is often necessary at a hotel of our size, receptionists will often refer to the Concierge if guests need additional information and/or assistance.

I regret that you were not informed of our Concierge service when you checked in. This would most certainly have improved your overall experience during your stay.

Last but not least, thank you for your kind comments about our staff. I will make sure to pass that on.

I hope you found this reply useful. If you have any additional questions or comments you are more than welcome to contact me directly.

We are looking forward to welcome you when you return in June.

Best regards,

Nicolai Kristensen
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Much to like about this hotel - convenient city location, rooms at the front offering attractive view over water, friendly and efficient staff, large and comfortable bedroom (although not much in the way of storage space), excellent buffet breakfast, absolutely immaculate bathroom.
The bedroom floors are hard-surfaced : as a result, I experienced some shoe on floor (tap-dancing?!) noise from the room above. However, the hotel's solid modern construction prevented any other sound-transmission issues.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have attractive view over water
1  Thank 186338John_M

Dear Sir,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is a very clean modern hotel that rises into the sky. if you are lucky enough to get a lake view you can watch the sun going down which is magnificent when there is a golden sunset.
The breakfast is excellent with the food being constantly replenished. The staff are friendly and very helpful
A very good position in copenhagen, close to buses, touriswt information office, tivoli gardens and the station to trips into the countryside.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends