“The seventies called - they wanted their hotel back”
Review of Scandic Copenhagen

Scandic Copenhagen
Ranked #38 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
MN, USA
“The seventies called - they wanted their hotel back”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights for business. I don't usually write long reviews, but this will be an exception. Where do I start?
The restaurant - we were sick of breakfasts - mostly bread, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, beacon, pickles, cereals, delicatessens, cheese. The list may seem long, but there is no variety. Tried dinner one night - that was the worst dinner in Copenhagen (based on my experience, your mileage may vary). On the weekends the restaurant was full beyond capacity during breakfast.
Wireless internet is simply unacceptable for a business hotel. The speed was consistently slow, at or below 1.0 MBps. Even more annoying were periodically dropped connections, even in the lobby. Had several chances to complain at the reception without any results.
Bathroom - mine had shower, two modest towels, no toiletries. No floor mat results in water on the floor after every shower.
Other reviewers already mentioned small and noisy rooms, inadequate heating/cooling, IKEA-style furniture - all this is true. Exercise room is small with just one weight machine. To be fair, the location is good. However, there are several hotels in the vicinity and one can do better that Scandic, Copenhagen.

Room Tip: There are several Scandic hotels in Copenhagen, taxi drivers identify this hotel as "old Sherat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DeeplyFrozen
Tanja A, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest.

First of all thank you for choosing Scandic Copenhagen during your last visit in Copenhagen.

I would also thank you for taking your time to make a review on tripadvisor.com.
Feed back is very important for us, so in that case we can improve our service and standards every day.

You mention some very interesting points in your review, some of them I will try to answer.

Regarding the variaty of breakfast products, unfortunately it is not up to us to decide which kind of products there is on the buffet, it is our central office in Stockholm who decide the food in the breakfast buffets. But I will take this review to me management tram, and we will have a look to see if there are something we can change.

Regarding the wireless, I know there can be problems with the speed, and you are surtenly right that this is not acceptable, that's why we will upgrade to another router and we will have the speed increased, we are planning to install this in Feb. 2013.

I am really sorry to heat that you hade a wrong impression of Scandic Copenhagen, in that case I really hope to hear from you , if you have the pleasure to visit wonderful Copenhagen another time, I hope that we can get another chance.

You are more than welcome to contact me for reservation.

Tanja Andresen - Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 2, 2012

First impression is a regular building but inside very good feeling, outstanding rooms.
The design is very confortable, the view on the lake and city wonderful. Love the wooden room access card! Location is nice also.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest.

I am so glad to see the point you are mentioning in your review - it is so important for us that our guest feel like home, when they are staying with us, so thank you again.

I hope I will have the pleasure to meet you personally next time you stay at Scandic Copenhagen.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

If Ikea were designing rooms for students at university this would be what you would get. Clean, functional lines, no frills, no je ne sais quoi. Nothing to want to make you feel at all like spending anytime in the room or swinging any cats! Even the Breakfast dining room was like a student canteen. In fact utterly, utterly boring.. The lobby decor was slightly interesting in a weird sort of a way
On the upside, the bar was good and the barman there was great, nice merlot. He advised me that the chef had told him the roast pork was very fatty so I played safe and had a (good) burger. Why they bought very fatty pork and then cooked it is beyond me?
Check in and out was speedy and pleasant, nice staff.

Room Tip: Remember your student days :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest.

I am sorry to hear that you experinced our design look likes Ikea.. Our designer is 2 girls from sweden called DOO's and they have a uniqie way of telling their designs - our hotel is one of them and the story os From Above, because you have an amazing view from all the rooms, if you noticed the wall papaer is also taken from the views of Copenhagen :)

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to meet you personally next time you travel to Copenhagen.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed in Scandic Copenhagen 23.-25.11.2012. Room and bathroom was spacy, but the temperature of the room was low and the aircondition was unefficient leading to awful smell in the room. Also towels were still wet in the morning, because there was no heating in the bathroom. Breakfast normal, nothing special. Breakfastroom was too small for such a big hotel: guests had to wait free table to sit down. More 3 star hotel than 4.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

I am sorry to hear that the the temperature was very low in your room, I thank uoi for letting us know that so we are able to have an technician to have a look, to see what is wrong.

Another time, please contact the front desk and let them know about the situation, and we have the opportunaty to move you to another room.

Regarding the breakfast restaurant I agree on this point, and I can also tell you that we will make some changes here in the beginning of 2013.

Tanja Andresen - Guest Relations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had 4 nights here and were not that impressed. It caters for business visits and the staff seem very aloof. The room was good with a nice view of the lake and the beds were very comfortable. Unfortunately we were by the lifts and the noise was very annoying at times. Breakfast was underwhelming and the staff made you feel rushed. It is in a good location near the station and Tivoli but we wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Avoid room near lifts!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

You describe a very valuable point to us
Since we have just gone through a major renovation, we still have to switched our camps in our elevator, I know that these have been ordered and it will be changed as soon as we get them.

I really hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you at our hotel again and maybe I will have the pleasure to meet you personally.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is an excellent centrally-located hotel. The foyer/reception is huge making it comfortable for lounging around. The rooms are modern with extremely comfortable beds. There's free wifi and a well-stocked buffet breakfast. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tanja A, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this review, December 7, 2012

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend. Loved the location, with a 10 minute walk to many bars, restaurants and sights.

Room was SMALL. Would've been perfect for a solo traveler, but near impossible for two adults to move around comfortably. Bathroom was extremely basic and cramped.

Hotel is HUGE, which means noisy hallways, crowded lobby, and breakfast is PACKED. The staff do a good job of clearing tables and replenishing food, but you can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed.

Concierges were helpful. Made some good dinner recommendations and clearly knew the area well.
On that topic: make dinner reservations at more popular restaurants.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

You mention some valuable points for me, and you should know I have taken your suggestions to consideration and will take them up in our management team here at Scandic Copenhagen.