“Excellent hotel!”

Ranked #53 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Hornsea
“Excellent hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here for a 3 night city break in October/November 2012 with my partner, we had a fantastic time and would advise people book this hotel as it is excellent. The hotel was very easy to find from the airport, we took a metro from terminal 3 and a 2a bus which was opposite the metro station, this was very easy and cheap to do [cost 36kr each - about £3.50] however we later realised we could have got a train which would have dropped us as close as the bus did, the train was also the same price so would advise people get the train which drops at central station. The hotel is then a five minute walk from the central station. The first impressions were great, really clean and tidy [as is everywhere in Copenhagen]], the staff were warm and friendly and checked us in quickly without hassle. The hotel has free wifi which had a quick connection and caused no problems at all. On finding our room we were very impressed, the room was very modern and clean, there was plenty of space and the bed was extremely comfortable! The bathroom was great, the shower was very powerful and very warm and we never once had any issues with hot water [which I note some reviewers did]. The hotels location is very central to the city, it is a 5 minute walk into the city centre, a 15 minute walk to the Nyhavn canal, 25 minute walk to the Little Mermaid and a 10 minute walk to the centre of the 'quirky' area of Vesterbro. There are plenty of bars and restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel so public transport will rarely be needed by those physically fit trippers. We had paid for breakfast throughout our stay and this was a very shrewd purchase as the breakfast was perfect throughout our stay, there was a large variety of food and drink including hot buffet food for those wanting a 'full English' and cold foods for the more European diner. The cocktail bar and ice-bar attached to the hotel are also both worth a visit, trendy places with very relaxed atmospheres. I would book this hotel again should I visit the wonderful wonderful city.

Room Tip: Front facing offers a view of a very nice church.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LukeyDee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed with group of friends in September. Copenhagen is very expensive and in comparison this hotel was reasonably priced. Beds were comfy, rooms were quiet and bathroom and towels etc were all perfectly fine. My room looked out onto the outdoor bar area which I thought might mean some noisy nights but it was fine (might have been the time of year as it was too cold to drink outside). There were ice machines in the corridors which I've never seen before which were handy for the wine (purchased at the airport by the way!!).
If you want to stay at a decent standard hotel but don't want to pay the earth this place is fine. This place is quite quirky and I really liked some of the decor and quirky features of the hotel. Had absolutely no issues with the staff, luggage rooms etc.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked our 3 night stay at First Hotel Twenty Seven back in April as we had decided on a short break to Copenhagen and the location looked perfect and the reviews (at the time) looked good. Reading recent reviews before we flew made u worry we had chosen badly but our stay worked out perfectly. Sometimes I think some travellers are expecting perfection and are not as tolerant as they ought to be!

We arrived late afternoon after walking from the Kongens Nytorv Metro (about 10-15 mins and 36DK per person). The receptionist couldn't find our booking and again I began to worry but they calmly and politely checked out my details and as I had brought a copy of my booking with pre-payment showing they quickly sorted it - they appear to have had a new booking system installed which might account for some issues.

Our room was on the third floor and overlooked the courtyard. The room was much smaller than we expected and whilst it was nicely decorated the bathroom was slate floor and walls and clean but the bathroom door did not fill the gap and so bathroom time needed the TV volume turned up. Each night we slept without any major disturbance and only faintly heard the town clock and no street noise. The room was well heated and the windows opened so we could get fresh air. The room was cleaned every day and washroom toiletries replaced.

The breakfast each morning was very busy and the variety gave cooked, fruit, pastries, cereals, fruit juices and tea/coffee. On our second morning, the chair I was sat at collapsed beneath me and the breakfast staff were very apologetic and offered tea/coffee but I was fine. They continued to check until we left the room that I was ok and on our third day they checked again and we had a good laugh. I wasn't hurt and don't believe in complaining or wanting to sue for what was truly an accident. On our departure the breakfast staff (especially the young guy from Portugal) ensured we were ok and we had a nice chat about our first (and hopefully not last) trip to Copenhagen.

We would certainly recommend the location and the service from all staff we encountered was excellent. The rooms were small and could be a problem if you wanted to spend more time in the room than sleeping but overall it was not enough to put us off staying again.

The hotel offers free wi-fi and whilst the rooms don't offer tea/coffee facilities they do offer a safe. We didn't need to leave our luggage in the luggage room (which has a sign saying you leave luggage at your own risk) but if we had we would certainly never leave valuables and would suggest caution as the obvious precaution.

Room Tip: At the back overlooking the courtyard
1 Thank WidleyTraveller
Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you book through Booking.com and expect to have "scenic" views if you take a delux room then you will be disappointed. Worryingly if you go down to reception you wont get an apology and just a statement that there are no real scenic rooms - we were also told that we were not the first to complain...maybe they should change the description then. We were also worried that we were just above the bar - certainly we should have been concerned. Still at 2:30am the room (and this is not exaggeration) was vibrating. The complaint to reception led to nothing - just a comment that they had got a DJ in and so it should quieten down at 2am (it didnt!). At 3am we eventually got some sleep - maybe I am a simple guy but hotels should provide the basic needs and to be able to go to sleep before midnight is something I do expect. We were never offered an apology by any three of the different receptionists that we spoke to - more an attitude of "like it or lump it". The room itself was clean, functional and the bathroom was nice (except the shower leaked all over the floor whenever used). I wouldnt advise staying here unless you like the youth hostel scene (and if you do - one of our friends stayed at a great little hostel on the same road and paid 20% of the price).

Room Tip: Dont expect a scenic view! At all costs make sure you are not above the bar. To be fair I would ad...
3 Thank Barry_M_7
Martin K, General Manager at First Hotel Twentyseven, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guests,

I am sad to hear about your views on our service. Your perception of this is ofcourse not the way it should be and we will for sure take this up with reception to correct any wrong attitude.

As far as the music in the bar, we have a DJ and it is a happening place with many happy guests, where we have always played music until around 2. Many of our hotel guests chose this hotel for our bar outlets and this lifestyle product which is Hotel 27.

Naturally, we should have been able to provide you with a room move - I am sorry this did not happen. For this I would like to offer you a free stay, if you decide to return to Copenhagen at any time.

In regards to te scenic views on the reservation channel, this should have been changed a long time ago and has been requested by the hotel. We do have deluxe rooms on 5th floor with this view, but since not all deluxe rooms have this, it mu be erased. I will contact the company again to correct this now.

Very best

Martin Kraunsoe

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Hotel is pretty conveniently located between Radhuspladsen, Slotsholmen and the centre of the city. Most areas of interest are within walking distance and the railway station is also a short trundle away. Longangtraede has several bars (including the hotel’s ice bar) on it and despite the smashed bottles and overspill onto the street from the Ozzy bar - reasonably calm.

The hotel is clean and the beds are fairly comfy. The public areas are all very Arne Jacobsen Scandinavian cool matched by the aloof attitude of the reception staff. The rooms’ furnishings are, however, definitely at the Ikea end of Scandinavian design. No carpets, so lots of clomping from guests upstairs. No tea or coffee or replenishment of shampoo etc. or any other frills. Definitely more student residence than boutique accommodation.
We asked for a quiet room, away from stairwells and lift shafts etc. We were told that we could either have a double on the ground floor which would be noisy or one at the back which would be quieter. We took the latter which was............... yup, right next to both the main stair well and the lift so pretty noisy as the fire doors slammed shut all night.

The shower was blocked and completely flooded the bathroom. We asked to be moved but were told that the only alternative would be a room facing the courtyard which would have loud music on Saturday night. We got the shower fixed and stayed put. Saturday night came and we had to endure the noise of a full on party right outside. Not a lot of shut-eye. We checked out and put our luggage in the left luggage room which is locked by the reception staff. On our return it was clear our bags had been opened and a couple of items had been swiped. We told the staff who pointed out a hand written note saying don’t leave valuables in the left luggage room. Speaking to the staff we were told that thefts had occurred before and more than one on this particular day. Given this we were surprised to learn that although the left luggage facility was locked by hotel staff, unsupervised access by non-staff members was permitted by the hotel. Staff had raised this specific issue but this had been ignored by the hotel’s management.
If you don’t mind a student hostel with a swanky foyer and which takes a very laissez faire attitude to the security of its guests’ property then book now, otherwise try somewhere else.

1 Thank b0nzellee
Martin K, General Manager at First Hotel Twentyseven, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you kindly for your comment on Tripadvisor.

In regards to our luggage room, we do have a sign, which is not hand written, on the door and yes we have been nost unfortunate to have been victims for internatioal gangs touring hotels in Copenhagen this year.

I can only say we are extremelly sorry for the guests, who have lost items in here!!!

I can also assure you we are trying to solve this problem and still provide a storage service for the travellers. It has not in any way been neglected by the management, but we have to find the right solution. We feel we have found this now, which will take time away from guests, as we need to supervice all guests going in there.

I must however say that this service is at your own risk - which many hotels have as standard - and it is also explained to all guests when they store items there. There can be no surprice here.

We hope this new excorted service will help us in the fight against these gangs in CPH.

As for the rooms, we are happy to offer wooden floor, much more friendly and clean than carpets.

In regads to the location of the hotel and the happenings bars - well, this is part of the design of the hotel and location. This is also clearly mentioned on our website. If this was not the product you very looking for (on weekends) I am sure you would have been able to find a hotel in the city that in a better way catered to your need - perhaps a more conventional and calm hotel.

I wish you a good day!

Very besy

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Even though I was not convinced by my first stay some 8 months back I thought I would give it a second try. The experience was the same and I only would recommend this place to young party hoppers as it is like a party place - a kind of youth hostel. The Honey riders bar on the Lobby floor has DJs on weekends, so if your room is too close to this area (which happened to me again even though I had requested in my booking a room to the back of the house and far away from the bar, which they just ignored) your nights will be filled with beats and the laughters and talking from people in the street entering and leaving the bar.
Still they have not changed their offer in TV channels, which means no German, French, Spanish channels available, so if you don't speak a Scandinavian language, forget about watching TV. The hotel here and there looses its paintings, my shelve in the room was loose and I had to stuff toilet paper into the air suction in the shower as it makes a very loud noise all night through. What a pity to let this place become more and more run-down. A part from that, the location is good and the staff members at the reception very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Far away from the bar and back to the house
2 Thank Eva_Maria_10
Dear Guests,

We appologise that you vere not satisfied with the choice of hotel, and take your comments very serious indeed!

Hotel 27 is a lifestyle hotel with a happening trendy cocktail bar. This is normal for this kind of a modern design hotel in many cities.

As fas a youth hostel - well, if you compare to the youth hostel we have next door, you would see some differences to Hotel 27 for sure.

I regards to the ventilation in the bathroom, thanks for the info. This is now ajusted. We could have ajusted this if you had told the reception about the problem, when you stayed here. Again, we apologise for this!

Regarding the TV channels, unfortunatelly we do not have any french, german og spanish. But we have a long list of english speaking channels, both news, leisure and film channels. And we have pay TV as well. In Denmark even all films are shown in their orginal language.

We will however consider to add some more channels soon. This is ongoing now.

I wish you a nice weekend and thank you for your comments.

Very best

Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed for a weekend in the hotel, check in was perfect, the stairway showed that the hotel is not as new as it looked in the internet. The doubleroom was quite small, but very nice furniture. The mattress was quite old and shabby, the shower showed on the black stones a lot of white substance, I assume the water is too limey and there stay always somes rests. The heating was good, but very noisy. The hotel has a very nice bar and breakfast room. Personnel is very kind and helpful. The hotel is in walking distance from the main train station and a 5 min walk to the main shopping street Strogoet. The interior is very stylish and modern.

Room Tip: On weekends you should try to get a room on the fifth floor or above
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends