“lovely stay”

Best Western Plus Hotel City Copenhagen
Ranked #21 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed May 7, 2013

most friendly and helpful front desk personnel, fantastic (delicious and healthful) breakfast included, small but well equipped room, convenient location.

lovely stay and would stay there again!! highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank love2travelndive
KClausen, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel City Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Love2travel

So happy to read you had enjoyed your stay and used our location to get around and see the city.
Hope I can welcome you back again one day:)

Best Regards
K Clausen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel by best western standards. Rooms are spacious apart from small shower which suffered from a curtain as I prefer screens. Hotel room very warm with heated bathroom floor. Very welcoming and a good range at the buffet breakfast. Very close to centre for shopping and restaurants. Would stay again on business.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank maraalfa

Dear maraalfa

Thank you for your comments and I am happy to hear you liked our little hotel. We are aware that some of our rooms have very small bathrooms but that is the case when situated downtown Copenhagen in a 100 year old building.

Best regards
K Clausen

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Hotel City was my home away from home for five days while in Copenhagen and I loved it. It was nestled in a cute neighborhood away from the main area but just close enough you could walk to Nyhvan, the Latin Quarter, the Shopping area and the metro. I was traveling solo and got a standard room for myself. It reminded me of a dorm room cut in half, but it was clean, the bed was comfortable, wifi worked, tv had decent channels, the bathroom was actually bigger than I anticipated but the shower was a tad small. If I was a wider American, the shower would not have worked at all.

Breakfast was a traditional hotel breakfast: yogurt, danish cheese, fresh bread, cold cuts, eggs (hard/soft boiled), coffee, juice, etc. Yes it is true, come after 830am and you are left with bare bones, but come before 830am and you're fine. I only showed up late once and found myself wondering what had happened prior to my arrival that all the good stuff including the coffee was gone.

The front staff was attentive. The cleaning staff was attentive. The room was at the end of the hallway and I found I heard nothing of people in the hallway or courtyard outside my window.

I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel City and when I return to Copenhagen again, this hotel will once again be my home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank qtjeep12
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I think some of the previous reviewers got a little carried away with this place.

Location is very good. A reasonable walk to most major city attractions and a very short walk to Nyhavrn. On a quiet street near the Inderhavnem. Pleasant simple lobby with a modern decorating motif. Small bar and larger breakfast section. Very good free Wi-Fi. Comfortable beds. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

The breakfast depends upon when you arrive. Served from 7:00 to 10:00, replacement quickly tapers off toward the end. If you arrive after 9:15, be sure to ask others what you could have had if you were there at 8:00. We had a late breakfast (9:15) and there was no coffee or milk and the cold cuts had been savaged and did not recover. The “daily” items that change each day were also history. Lots of cheese and fruit however. We went at 8:00 the next morning and there were ample supplies as well as some meat balls, potato pancakes, sliced hard boiled eggs in addition to scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. If early, it’s really a good showing for a breakfasts buffet. If you arrive later, it is almost average.

The rooms had some disappointment. Bathrooms in both standard and superior rooms were very small - especially the shower. In fact the shower was so small that it wins the “smallest shower in Western Europe” award. It was so small that I kept bumping into the temperate control to avoid the shower curtain sticking to me. That resulted in some very cold or very hot surprises. The shower in the standard was the smallest one I have ever seen and even made a moderately-priced room in Pairs look large. I don’t see how someone could use it. Numerous toiletries - except for shampoo (which I counted on).

Housekeeping seemed ok, but in addition to the shampoo that wasn’t provided every day, there was some white powder (sugar perhaps?) in a room corner on the floor that came with the room. Three days later it was still there, so it didn’t appear that anyone vacuumed the floor.

Only one of the two terminals in the business center worked. We had our own laptop, but needed the business center to print our boarding passes. The one terminal was fine, except that it couldn’t handle acrobat. In the end, they front desk let me use their PC and printed it that way.

The size of the superior room was acceptable, but the standard room was a bed with a one person path around it. If more than one per room, you will need to plan your trips around the room. Also, no coffee/tea service in the standard room. That seemed very cheap.

Creaky wooden floors hidden under the carpets, so if you had an active person upstairs, you heard him.

Windows have curtains, but there was a gap between the wall and window that let in a lot of outside light.

Yes, there were numerous pictures of jazz people on the walls, but nothing out of the ordinary for hotel décor on a theme. And you would need to be a jazz freak to have the pictures compensate for the small bathroom and room.

If you can live with the small bathroom and eat breakfast early, then go with it. I’d keep this place as a possibility, but I’d look to see what else is around.

Room Tip: Go with a superior room. Standard rooms are small - especially the bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mr G
KClausen, Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel City Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Mr. G.
Thank you for your extentive review and I am happy to see so many positive comments.
We pride ourselves of delivering a high service level so I will certainly bring your issues to my manager's attention.
There is no doubt that the issues at hand should have been dealt with during your stay.

Thank you for chosing Best Western Hotel City for your Copenhagen stay and I wish you a wonderful day.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel City for 3 nights over the Easter period in what, even by Denmark's standards, was an absolutely freezing spell of weather.

We chose the hotel due to Tripadvisor reviews and the particular locality, which was close to Kongens Nytorv Metro Station and a quick trip to the airport. We had considered staying near the main railway station which was where a lot of the hotels were clustered, but I am so glad we didn't as I think our recollection and memories of the city would have been a lot less impressive.

The hotel is a simple 10-15 minute walk from the metro in a peaceful one-way street. The bars and restaurants of Nyhavn are also a 10 minute walk, and the island of Christianshavn is at the bottom of the street, though a good 30 minute walk once you have crossed the nearest bridge.

The freezing conditions outside were soon forgotten once you walked into the modern lobby/lounge area with it's water feature and designer hanging lamps and chairs. The receptionists were full of smiles as they directed us to our room on the fourth floor. We had upgraded to a superior room which was large, contained a sofa, table, and one of Arne Jacobsen's famous brown Swan chairs - in fact an Arne Jacobsen portrait greeted us each time we got out of the lift! We didn't have a view as we were looking over an internal courtyard, but we weren't too concerned about that, and the bathroom was spotlessly clean, with a heated floor.

It was unfortunate that we both had interrupted sleep on all three nights - not due to noise or any outside disturbance, but because the room was so hot. We were too tired to get up and open the window, but we both alternated between lying on top of the covers until we got cold, and underneath the covers until we both started to overheat.

Breakfast was a relaxed affair, either taken in the restaurant area or in the lobby sitting area if all tables were occupied. There was a choice of cereals/muesli, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad and fruits. Hot items included scrambled eggs, soft boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, sauteed potatoes, a large savoury tortilla. Various cheeses and cold meats were available with a rather rich looking pate - alongside croissants and delicious-looking Danish pastries. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to sample everything. Our only quibble was the absence of a toaster.

We loved the Best Western (apart from our quality of sleep) and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Copenhagen.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading to a superior room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne D

Dear Testla,
Thank you for taking your time to write the positive comments about your stay at Best Western Hotel City.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Copenhagen, and at the hotel, and hopefully we have the chance to welcome you back again.

Wishing you a pleasant day.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My Mum and I recently stayed at this hotel for a short break. This is a lovely cosy hotel and well worth the money we paid. Super location -it is near the centre but is slightly hidden which meant it wasn't noisy. The breakfast buffet had a good variety of choices and tasted nice. The rooms were nice and clean. The best thing thing about this hotel was the staff-they were extremely friendly and helpful. The only thing that stopped me rating this any higher was the fact it didn't have a restaurant but we would definitely stay there again.
Naomi
Lancashire

Room Tip: superior rooms are worth the little bit extra .
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NaomiF839
KClausen, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel City Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear NaomiF839

Thank you for choosing Best Western Hotel City for your Copenhagen stay. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the positive comment.

Best regards

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked two rooms at the Hotel City in Copenhagen, the choice was about the good location. This hotel is situated 10min walk from the Kongens Nytorv Metro station (15min from the airport) and around 5min walk to Nyhavn, the real city center of Copenhagen. Rooms are very clean, nicely decorated with some great pictures of jazz musicians (if you like jazz you should really consider this hotel). Breakfast was good, not the biggest choice but every day something different that made the difference. If we should complain about something, it would be the beds, as the mattress are way to soft....at least for our backs but otherwise for a city trip this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family