“Never going back!”

Indian Restaurant Maharaja
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Indian Restaurant Maharaja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,482 of 2,308 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Amager
Toftlund, Denmark
“Never going back!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Hmmm.. Was surfing around to find new eating adventures in Copenhagen since I am going there next month, when I realized I have never written my experience at Maharaja.
I am from Pakistan and know my cuisine. The thing is, that the cuisine is fine at this place. It is the service and the prices. I have been at this establishment before and had a fine dinning experience before a concert and thought, lets go there again. BUT.. the second time around was a rude awakening... I don't think I have met such rude waiters before. Never have I met waiters who are actually irritated that they have guests. They are obnoxious and after paying such a HEFTY price, we felt like complete idiots for even sitting there a minute longer. But, having invited friends, my partner and I focussed on our company of friends and silently glared at the men running around with I LOVE MY JOB t.shirts!
We had three waiters waiting upon us. The first one got angry at me when I remarked "do we have to pay for rice when it is accompanying the main dish and with such prices??" I guess Berlin has spoilt us in that context! He commented back that I could go somewhere else! Then the second one who was shoved in to serve us, got angry when he forgot our naans and chapatis and was reminded.. I guess one does remind when one has ordered and not received... The third waiter couldn't wait for us to even put the last mouthful of our main course before he presented the bill since people were waiting to be seated. To irritate him further more, when I asked him to make doggie bags (since I don't believe in left overs and was paying for my food) I got the most obnoxious sigh and was shoved the plastic bag before I could say SHAZAM!
Will we be returning... Nay.. I am sure there are better paces to visit. Maharaja needs a wakeup call. Serving good food but milking people by forcing them to order side dishes to accompany this fine cuisine makes me angry.
Be warned, if you order hot food, you will get HOT. Or perhaps the first waiter was so angry at my rice comment that they added extra, extra chillies. But unfortunately for them, I breath and live eating chillies ;-)

3 Thank Soomi

Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific experience - so called Maharaja restaurant Copenhagen”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

It was my wedding anniversary and we decided to go an Indian restaurant in Copenhagen for dinner. I googled and looked into tripadvisor for the reviews, unfortunately I believed these reviews and booked a table in Maharaja restaurant for dinner. I reached Maharaja Amagerbrogade 15, at around 8pm and it was packed, and somehow we managed to get a table since we booked a table earlier. Well we ordered panner mutter, aalu gobi, tandoori roti, chapati & a vegetarian biryaani. The food was not Indian taste and tandoori roti was pathetic, very very hard. Biryani quantity was big but it taste like pulav, all in all it was not Indian taste we had over there. There was only one waiter and he says proudly from Afghanistan, who was attending all the tables with sweat on his forehead. When we received the bill it was 549 DKK, I came to know that they charged for tap water, when I asked about the same & the waiter replied it was just negligible amount 30 Kr for water since I had not ordered any drink that's why they charged for water. This was very disappointing, I just paid since it was wedding anniversary & didn't want to spoil the mood.
Guys I had a very bad experience in Maharaja restaurant, don't believe on name & definitely this restaurant is not for Indians, don't don't go to this restaurant....I never imagine of going to this restaurant again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Gcy0377
Lynge, Denmark
“Nice atmosphere and fantastic food in the heart of Copenhagen”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Want a great place to eat and love the taste of Indian spice then look no further.
The Maharaja Indian restaurant, Gammel Kongevej 86C, 1850 - Frederiksberg C is the place to visit. You will be welcomed with a friendly smile and great food.

• Visited November 2012
Imlay City, Michigan
“Don't go here.”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

WAY overpriced! My brother and I had samosas as appetizers, then split the paneer saag (vegetarian dish, basically indian cheese and sauteed spinach with curry spices), 1 side of rice, and 1 side of naan bread. The bill was 267 kr! That's nearly $50 for rice bread samosas and cheese spinach! We were even charged for tap water with floaties! The decor is ancient and dirty, the service is exceptionally slow and inattentive (never even asked for drink refill), and the food was all bland. The only thing that was actually good was the spinach. It took 20 minutes to get the bill! Needless to say, when asked if we would care for dessert we declined. Do yourself a favor and pass before you start.

2 Thank Mike R
Paris, France
“May be good for Copenhagen, but dissapointing overall”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The service was nice - friendly waiters and a decent decor (typical Euorpean Indian restaurant). The food was bland and boring, not much flavor and chewy cheese with no taste in the paneer I got. I meant to order "extra spicey" but forgot - maybe the food would have been better if I had. There were plenty of vegetarian and meat options on the menu, fairly typical Indian/Pakistani menu you could find anywhere. The Lassi was good and presentation of the dishes was nice. The garlic nan was more like a regular European bread cooked flat - too tense and dry. If it had not been so pricey I would have been ok with the whole experience, but overall the food was poor and when they added an extra 5% fee to use my foreign credit card it was the cherry on the not-so-nice cake. I left dissapointed and with a sour stomach. Perhaps in Copenhagen there is not much competition and few immigrants from southeast Asia, so it could be a treat for locals (and maybe the owners adapted the cooking to local tastes), but if you've ever enjoyed a good Indian restaurant in the UK or even average US standards, you won't be impressed. Also looks out on a busy street, so not very nice for spring/summer dining.

• Visited May 2012