“Excellent food, poor service”
Review of Kodbyens Fiskebar

Kodbyens Fiskebar
Ranked #55 of 2,528 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner Vesterbro
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The food is indeed excellent. The wine selection is ok. The prices are kind of ok, too. The coffee is not good.

The service however is way too low, even for Danish standards:
- the water glasses had huge calc marks
- they made 3 ordering mistakes (brought more plates of the same type than needed, forgot to bring 2 deserts, brough a bottle of wine to one of us, instead of just a glass) and they always acted as if it all this was our fault
- they didn't even atempt to pour the wine in the glasses
- they were extremely anoyed when we asked to pay separately
- they are soooo bad at making recommandations...
So to be honest, instead of remembering the great food I tasted, I will remember experiencing one of the worst service ever!

1  Thank OOOrder

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I loved this place. Firstly I liked the fact it was a bit of a surprise, we went over Christmas so it was cold and dark. As you drive into this industrial area it looks pretty bleak initially then you enter the "Fiskebar" and the mood changes. It's understated but feels very hip. It reminded me of a Danish Shoreditch (London) or Meatpacking District (NYC) , funnily enough I think it was a meatpacking area. Anyway the food is fantastic, we had Oysters which tasted of the sea, so good we had to have two portions. The Fish and Chips came in old newspaper, a nice touch. I just loved the feel of the place, everything is locally sourced which appeals to me and although simple the dishes have been well thought out. The drinks are expensive (like most restaurants) although we chose the local proseco which wasn't too toppy. I had a great evening in what seemed like a really unique place. If you enjoy food Copenhagen is a great place to visit but unlike a lot of the upmarket restaurants Kodbyens is exceptional value.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

We made reservations for a birthday dinner here and were not disappointed. The food was great as was the service. We had some really nice oysters to start with and we chose different maincourses and were happy with those as well. The portions were just the right size. The wine selections were great as well. We skipped dessert as we were heading out for some cockatils.
The atmosphere is great, casual and contemporary and not overly trendy which is the way I like it.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Fiskebaren is situated in the industrial "meatdistrict" in Vesterbro. They have kept parts of the former butchery interior, combined with rustique elements, which gives it a very authentic ambiance.
The area is very hip, with a few good bars and galleries, even though the former inhabitants (butchers and others) are still occupying parts of the area. In the summer it´s great to sit outside on the benches and sip some riesling! Industrial chique ...

The food is extremely tasty, light and delicate, with an emphasis on seasonal and local ingredients, and of course (hence the name) with almost only fish and shellfish on the menu. The menu is divided into 5 parts, raw "little dishes" warm "little dishes" Main courses (all with the same veggies on the side) and desserts. I´d say you have to have at least one entree and one main dish to leave with a full stomach. The portions are not big. But that makes room for tasting more things, which I enjoy.

I have eaten there 5-6 times now, and have yet to be disappointed. If you want to experience what all the "nordic cuisine" is about, this is a good place to do it - without breaking your budget entirely. Be sure to reserve a table in weekends.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

A colleague recommended this restaurant as a good place to get quality fish dishes. The restaurant is popular so make sure to book ahead or to arrive early to grab a table. The food was good (albeit not amazing) but the portion was a bit small for my liking. It'd imagine that its a fun place to come with a group of friends or for people watching as it gets rather lively.