“Small room, not as nice as I expected”
Review of Ibsens Hotel

Ibsens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Geneva, Switzerland
“Small room, not as nice as I expected”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

From the Ibsens Hotel website, with its crisp lines, nice room photos, etc. I really expected my "medium" room at Ibsens to be similarly sharp, light and modern. Unfortunately once away from the lobby the hotel is a bit dingy and in need of an update... which, as there was building work on several floors, has perhaps already been realised and set in motion.

My "medium" room was among the smallest I've stayed in, with a strange, not really usable, mini-room at a lower level which contained a tiny desk but no power socket. I guess that adds to the technical floor area, but the practically usable area consisted of a roughly 1m strip around two sides of the bed. The decor felt a bit tired and dingy -- not at all what I'd expected from the website. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, the staff always friendly, and it being a work trip I only really used the room for sleeping and a bit of work. The wireless internet was fine, once connected, but I required several attempts to do that via the the rather flaky Swisscom system.

I didn't have breakfast in the hotel, since it was (by my standards, at least) very expensive: there are plenty of cafes nearby. After this I stayed at a cheaper hotel in Oslo (a more expensive city), which had a far nicer room and breakfast was included... I'll look for something else next time I'm in Copenhagen.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Andy B
HotelCopenhagen, Gæsteansvarlig at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Andy.
We are so very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Of course we cannot be of everybodys taste, but if you looked at our website before arrival, you would have had an impression. Anyway, we have to say that if you want a large room, you will also need to book a large room. Our medium rooms are equivalent to a large single room or a small double room.

Ibsen hotel was completely renovated from top to bottom 2 years ago. Of course there are some wear in certain areas of the hotel, yet it must be said that most of the hotel is new. Unfortunately we had a water damage before Christmas, and it is the remaining of this we are working on, but only on part of two of the floors. And most of the hotel is not affected by this.

We have the largest internet connection you can buy, so I think we can guarantee that your problems must have been due to something else. You should have asked in reception, I am sure they would have been able to help you.

Ibsens Hotel /Marie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had booked a suite here for 3 nights. Unfortunately could not make the trip due to a sudden personal illness. Contacted the hotel 3 days in advance to request a cancellation and refund. The answer? No. No refund, no cancellation not even the offer to change to a future date- nothing. When I contacted booking.com they told me that the hotel would most likely resell the room. Excellent statregy. Would never ever book with a hotel that treats its customers like this. Disgraceful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ash P
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Ashparashar

We are really sorry to know that you booked a stay that you were unable to make use of. As a standard you can cancel your booking until 12 noon on arrival day.

We have some special discounted rates: non-refundable rates, which cannot be refunded (as the name says). This is very clearly stated at Booking.com.

Many people get advantage by booking a non-refundable rate, because the price is very advantageous. But you have to calculate with a certain the risk, when you choose this special rate.

Arthur hotels /Marie
Spoettrup, Denmark
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

The only slight downer with this hotel was that the breakfast wasn't my kind of breakfast but I'm sure some people will love it. Otherwise this hotel cannot be faulted. Super friendly service, extreemly polite staff, great room, and a very comfortable bed and a squeaky clean bathroom.
This hotel is well worrh a return visit.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dsheerman
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Excellent location however the hotel had many shortcomings. If you enjoy bathing within centimetres of the toilet, house keeping that continues into 4PM (even though the hotel only had two floors of operational rooms) and poor customer service, then this hotel is for you. I mean the problem really started when we first arrived to find that there were steps leading to the hotel's entrance (poor design; not "tourists-with-luggage" friendly).

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Ymlchan
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear guest

You were obviously not happy with your stay. We are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Our reception staff take pride in making our guests feel welcome, but in this case, It is obvious that something went wrong. Unfortunately you don't describe what happened.

However we find it hard to see the problem regarding our house-keeping working after 4pm. Of course a need for extra cleaning occur from time to time, and we are so lucky we have house-keeping services available after 4pm also.

Regarding steps by the entrance, yes there are two steps up. For walking disabled persons, we have an elevator from street level.

Ibsens Hotel /Marie
Naples, Italy
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Walking distance from Copenhagen center. Very clean and friendly people at the reception. Not a beautiful hotel, but very comfortable for tourism ad business. The only problem was too small bathroom (not in all rooms).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and always find it a welcoming stay. Some of the rooms are a bit small but they are clean with comfortable beds and ok for short stays. There is a free wine tasting hur in the early evenings which is a nice touch. Breakfast is ok. Not a huge choice but fresh and certainly enough food to fill your belly for a few hours. Good location and easy to get to with public transport. There is also a good Italian restaurant attached which does lovely food and has a nice atmosphere. A Spanish restaurant also attached but we didn't try that. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caroline1759
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Great location in heart of Copenhagen. My room was spacious and very comfortable. Cleanliness and service were excellent. The only thing I didn't like here was the breakfast menu, which was overpriced and limited compared to nearby cafes.

Room Tip: My room faced the main street and although it was usually quiet at night, there was some noise from...