“Cheap, friendly and central”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #87 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for three nights and I was very impressed. After reading some dubious reviews on trip advisor I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised. I was delighted to find just how close it was to the station- practically attached!! Although this meant that the we could hear the trains the thick windows blocked out most of this noise and I certainly wasn't bothered by it during the night.

The location is perfect. Approx walking times- 30 seconds from train station, main tour bus depot and Trivoli, 5mins from city hall and the statue of Hans Christian Andersen, 10mins from Stroget and 15mins from Rosenborg castle and Nyhaven.

We didn't opt for the breakfast as there is a wonderful bakery across the road that has a Danish breakfast for 55,- The hotel breakfast was a buffet, but 79,-

The room was small and basic. But as we had come to see the city and not the inside of a hotel room this was fine for us. The electrics were... interesting!!! Certainly my socket was loose, but worked. The bedding was clean and comfortable and the bathroom small, but clean also.
The room was very very warm. As the windows open up wide (like a door, with hinges on just one side) it wasn't practical to sleep with it open. There was a fan in the wardrobe but this did little to cool the room with no fresh air coming in during the night.

The free wifi vouchers were handed out on arrival and more were offered daily as required. My friend asked for an extra pillow and staff were more than happy to help and even offered more! Staff were friendly and it was no trouble to keep our luggage there after we checked out on our last day.

I wouldn't recommend staying here for a romantic weekend break or if you have children- its a little too basic. But for anyone else I would say this is an ideal place to stay and exceptionally good value in one of the most expensive cities I have ever visited.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the front of the building if you are a light sleeper, as the trains may bot...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kirstie0504
There are newer reviews for Hotel Astoria

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Good stay if you want to stay in the middle of the center of Copenhagen - located just by Tivoli and the main railway station.. And very cheap. Room is OK, it is clean, Parkeking cost 200 kr, but you have to walk a couple of blocks to get there.

1  Thank Globerotta
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Zleep Astoria Copenhagen.

Realistically what do you expect for such rates in the capital city of probably the most expensive country in the world? (IMHO)

This is a budget hotel and boy oh boy was it budget. We stayed for one night prior to boarding a cruise ship and the room was smaller than the cabin we had onboard.

It's location, right next to the main railway station was a bonus as the transfer from the airport was really easy, quick and somewhat inexpensive.

There is free wireless Internet for all guests, however I was not aware of that until I had purchased access via the little card in the room, DOH!

Ok, the room, the carpet was dirty and threadbare but the bed linen was spotless.

The electrical supply was dubious to say the least, extension cables were zip tied to table legs and as for the stains on one of the supplied chairs it made my imagination go into overdrive (both pictures will be posted to support these points, but probably when I return home)

The bathroom was tiny with a surprising amount of mould in the corners around the bathtub, the remaining furniture In the room, wardrobe, table etc were certainly passed their best. Soap was supplied but there was no hair dryer.

The bed bases did resemble a concrete slab with a mattress on top, so were not the most comfortable available.

The main window that opened was very big to allow both air to get in and suitable for throwing yourself from when you realise what a mistake you had made in booking this hotel.

Breakfast was available for an added cost and was semi decent with nice bread and cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt, cereals etc.
Surprisingly for one of the world's largest producers of bacon there was none to be seen.

There are reports saying that "there were noises from the trains" seeing as this hotel is next door to the station what do you expect to hear? Wildebeest gently munching grass on the Serengeti?

The important question I feel is thus, would I go back? Absolutely not, never, no way.

Would I recommend it to anyone else? That depends on how much I dislike them.

Listen, you are either passing through as we were or staying in Copenhagen on holiday, either way spend few Krowns more and stay somewhere memorable for the right reasons.

2  Thank Stigmeister
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have never written an online review, despite the fact that I travel frequently in the U.S. and abroad for work purposes. The fact that I am writing one now is a testament to the fact that my experience at this hotel was SO TERRIBLE that I considered it my civic duty to share it online so that others can avoid this hotel.

While it seems neat and clean, and the receptionist speaks english, it is so in need of repair and maintenance that it is literally DANGEROUS to your health to stay there. The first day, I tried to open a window, and realized, after a very heavy 4 foot pane of glass was leaving on me from 3 of the four directions, that it was missing a hinge in holding it to the window pane! Needless to say, I was terrified, but decided that, because the other hotels were booked, I would just keep the window closed...Notice that if that pane had fallen on me it could have been a serious injury. After this incident, when I woke up in the morning, I sat up in the bed and it LITERALLY COLLAPSED underneath me! It turned out that they don't bother to make sure that the leg handles are screwed in tight, and since the two twins move around, they frequently get unscrewed This meant that by the time I got there, it was just about ready to fall down. I have subsequently gone to see a chiropractor to fix this injury due to the bed collapsing underneath me and paid my own money simply because I want nothing else to do with this awful establishment.

I have never in my life seen this level of lack of upkeep so that it is literally dangerous to stay there.

Other minor annoyances were the fact that (1) you have to ask for a non-train-facing room unless you are used to sleeping with the sound of train tracks, and (2) the internet works for exactly 24 hours for one device so you need to keep changing the codes on every device if you choose to stay there...not a major annoyance but still a waste of time, (3) they won't refund your money at all if it is a third party booking and, (4) breakfast is overpriced for what it is.

PLEASE do not stay at this hotel so that they start trying to make it safe so they can get customers.

A concerned citizen of the world

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We both really enjoyed our stay at Zleep Astoria. Perfect location, right in the heart of the city and very close to Tivoli gardens. Plenty of local shops, restaurants and sight seeing days out. Would definitely come back for another visit in the near future! Overall, very clean, although walls could do with another paint so are fresh and updated.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very good small hotel, we only had 1 night to spend in Copenhagen, before a Cruise, check-in is from 14:00 but are welcome to leave your suitcases x free in a special room (we did from 12:00), it also works @ check out by 11:00, but luggage could be left if later departure.
Rooms are smallish but as we were there to see the town, we spent little time in!! The hotel has only a breakfast room, but a bar and full restaurant are in the building but from outside and independent, right by the railway line and main station (Central) where food is available most times. Rooms can be a bit hot (railway side!) but after a day of travelling and sight seen the bed are very confortable!!! Tea & coffee machine in the lobby x a 10 Dk Kr .

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of railway much cooler in a sunny day!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

i read the reviews and am minded to conclude the writers must live in tents or shacks. This hotel is nothing more than a hostal, In fact nothing like any hotel we've ever stayed in. It's basic and not clean. Denmark is known for minimalistic decor, but there couldnt be less in a room. A bed, a chair, a table, except I guess in a prison cell. The bathroom is a joke, for not only is it tiny, but decrepit, stinking moldy tile joints surrounding a chipped bath, the size to bath a child in. The tap is shared between the sink and the bath, with a piece of rubber hose to serve as a shower. Electrical wiring, rudimentary beyond belief in Europe, let alone a Capital city. The curtains are nothing more than flimsy rags that dont exclude light. overall 3rd world African style. Check the photos for proof.

Free WiFi doesnt work -never does apparently, reception suggest you log on to the Grand Hotel wi fi next door. That is if your room is located adjacent to the hotel. If not, do without wi fi or use it in the lobby.
Yes its centrally located but noisy as hell from traffic noise. Receptionist was coolly professional.

A rip off, to be avoided, better closed down by the tourist authority for it gives the city a bad name.

1  Thank David J