“3.5 Stars - Perfect Location, Great Breakfast, Good Service, the rest ... Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandic Front

Scandic Front
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Let me start with Copenhagen is a very expensive city plus the time, we came which was end of May was the start of the peak season. . It took me a long time searching for the right hotel within my budget and I just cant find it. I had to up my budget and lower my standards which is how I ended up here. The best rate was from aa.com, I got this for 210 USD per night which is much lower than going through booking.com or their official website where the rates are 250+.

My bf was the one who checked in they gave him room 102. Yikes, its like a fishbowl coz people from the outside can see you easily plus it was really noisy. I can live with the size of the room but the noise and its position, I cant live with. So I went down to the front desk and asked nicely. Thank God Casper came to the rescue. No, he is not the friendly ghost but the real nice and friendly front desk guy THANKS CASPER! . He actually upgraded us to room 306 which was a bigger room, part of the room is facing a wall and part of it you can see the water. Now thats more like it but i bet that room is going to be more expensive.

The room had everything you need but yes I agree with a lot of reviews, its a bit dated and tired. Im not so sure about the soundproofing coz I hear noises early in the morning, they do clean early. There are ships parked outside the hotel by the water and all day all night I heard this sound which I think are the motors but it started to become white noise. In all my reviews, noise is a big factor, if I stayed in room 102 i wouldnt be able to stand the noise but this room ok to good in terms of the noise factor. I think I used my earplugs only for one night. Keep in mind I am a very light sleeper so if your a normal sleeper this would be just fine. Bottomline, I got a good night sleep.

One of the reasons I chose this hotel is that it has AC which is rare in Copenhagen hotels. Guess what, im glad we chose one with AC coz it was unseasonably warm during our 4 day stay in CPH. I dont have much to complain about the room itself, it was comfortable, adequate, clean and aesthetically pleasing if you are not OCD about the little details (dings, dents, shaggy carpet, etc). They provide free wireless and it worked pretty good. They also have one computer in the lobby and interesting enough I never see anyone use it, when we need it, its available.

The service in this hotel is pretty good, I really have no complaints especially with CASPER. Most of the guys who work during the day are very helpful and real nice. No complaints! If you got questions they try their best to answer it.

One of my favorite aspects of this hotel is the breakfast, oh was it good. We are healthy eaters, we dont care for quantity of selection but quality. Well, this place had good quantity and quality. From the fresh orange juice that you squeeze yourself, muesli, no sugar yoghurt, wheat breads, hard boiled eggs, pancakes... I have to say we had a very filling breakfast and look forward to it every day. Beware, during the weekends, the breakfast place is PACKED PACKED PACKED! Come early on weekends or you will find yourself sitting by the bar to eat.

The best aspect about this hotel is its location. You cant really ask for anything more. Its upscale, quiet yet in the middle of everything... for me it is the PERFECT location. Why stay close to the central station or Vesterboro, STAY IN NYHAVN! I wouldn't stay anywhere else. This hotel is right beside the Admiral hotel. Copenhagen is a walking City, we did not use any form of transportation during our stay, all we did was walk walk walk.

Would I say this hotel is a good value for money, its hard coz we were upgraded. But beyond the room and considering all the good points that this hotel has to offer, at the right price I would definitely stay here again. This is a 3.5 STAR REVIEW!

Oh they also have a sauna/spa downstairs which we never got to use. I think its free

Room Tip: upper floor avoid first floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlexisRF
, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear AlexRobin,

Thanks for a rich and complete review of your stay, it is truly appreciated to receive good constructive feed-back in our work to improve and become better.

Happy that Casper and the team treated you well and that you enjoyed the breakfast!

Johan Åséll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I recently had the pleasure to visit Copenhagen Denmark. i wanted to stay close to everything, so i didn't have to spend allot in cab fares. I was meet with a very personal and friendly staff. that had lots of great suggestions as to what i should in my off-time. the Rooms are bigger than normal, and i liked the art-deco touch. the Hotel is located right next to the royal actors house, and i can recommend a stole along the water. beautiful !
If i have other trips to Denmark, I will ask to book this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for water view, It is so nice at night .
, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear washheights,

Thanks for your very kind review, so happy that you enjoyed the room and recived good and friendly treatment from the team.

Ritola. Finland
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Great hotel, good breakfast and location is super.

Staff in reception was not at all helpful, when we arrived (big group). One of us lost her handbag with phones, payment cards etc in professional robbery jus under our nose (and receptionists, too) bur he acted as 'oh sorry that happened you, not my problem'. He was not at all helpful, no interest of trying to help or give advice, call police etc. He did not notice or remember anything...
Can not than Scandic's safety program in this point!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Dear Quest3,

Thanks for taking the time writing this review, feedback is our best tool getting better at what we do, so it is highly appreciated.

It is always a very unpleasant experience having things stolen and we acknowledge all the frustration it causes. We do the best we can when things like this happen, support with contacts to officials etc... Which also was done in this case, however I understand that we where unable to show the relevant care. We will do our outmost to be more observant if a situation like this will occur again.

kind regards
Basel
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed in the Scandic Front for two nights. Overall, good location, room and service just okay but not worth the price. The front desk staff was not friendly/helpful. As we checked in, all we received was the room key. No explanation of anything about the hotel, services, surrounding area, rental bike (which we found out later). The room was basic, carpet and furniture needed a facelift. What I really disliked was the few spots of mold in the bathroom wall and ceiling. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTravelerBasel
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear WorldTravelerBasel,

Thank you for taking the time giving us feedback on your stay. I am sorry that we clearly where unable to live up to both your and our own standards.
I am unable to explain why you where not greeted in welcoming and informative manner like all our guest should so here we for sure have something to improve.
It is neither acceptable to find spots of mold in the bathroom, I will send my team out to locate this room immediately and I wish you would have informed us while staying with us so we could have given you an other room.

My deepest apologies for not giving you the stay you should have had.

Johan Åséll

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hotel is good, room is nice but dark lighting. The full length windows either have blackout curtains over them and the room is dark or your left exposed to anyone glancing up, no happy medium in the morning for letting in light without exposing your self to all of Copenhagen.
My main gripe about this hotel is the noise. the doors do little to keep out sound so your restful sleep is at the mercy of the early riser brigade, for me that was just before 6am. the sound of helpful people chatting in a corridor and doors opening and closing can serve as an alarm call, but the real fun starts at about 7:15am when the rooms start to be cleaned, bins emptied and hoovered.
The main point about staying here though is the great location one street away from Nyhavn, not its peace and tranquality...
Breakfast is the standard fare you will find in most hotels, but could do with a better quality coffee machine (no coffee/tea making facilities in the room I had)
last point is the showers are great but if you put it on full it cant drain away fast enough and you are at risk of flooding the whole bathroom

Dear Dillbert,

Thanks for taking the time reviewing our hotel. I appreciate the valuble feedback. We cant do so much about the noise from the street, but I will make sure that we wont start the houskeeping team before 8:30-9:00.

Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is good. The roooms are small but clean. Good breakfast.
A few minutes walking from the channel tour.
Honest hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Marcfer,

Thanks for your review happy that you liked our place even though you found the rooms small, and yes our single rooms are a bit small from an international perspective.

Thanks again!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Stayed in the Scandic Front for one night in a single room for a business trip. Hotel is well located and offers even (side)views on the water. Wifi is free and works very well. Rooms have received a facelift and come in contemporary design. Breakfast is included in the room rate and offers a large choice in a cosy atmosphere.

On the other hand, the hotel shows the signs of its age, notably in the old and smelly elevators and on the somewhat run down furniture. Rooms to the streetside are als rather noisy, as the window does not seem to offer any substantial noise protection.

Despite these mixed impressions I give this property a higher mark, as I had two very positive experiences with the staff: When I arrived at 10:00 in the morning completely wet after a sudden rainshower, the receptionist phoned to find me a room which was already cleaned. And when I sent to the Frontdesk a PDF file with my Boarding Pass, they brought it even to my room in less that three minutes.

Service makes the difference ...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Zaventem
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Zaventem,

Thanks for taking the time reviewing your stay with us.

The building is old and yes our elevators are not new and modern, but they do the job and will fore sure at one time be modernized but we try to focus on the rooms first and I find your points valuable.

So happy that you enjoyed our service the team works hard trying to make a difference.