“Not deserves 4 stars”

Ranked #80 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Budapest, Hungary
“Not deserves 4 stars”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is located just a block away from the Central Railway Station and also very close to Tivoli. Maybe that is their biggest advantage. The building itself reminded me of a labyrinth and was a bit difficult to get to our room in the back with our suitcases.
The corridor looked nice, the room was rather small and the bathroom was ok but only worth 2,5 stars. The walls were really thin and as we have had some company above we could hardly sleep during the night.
Instead of a double we got twins pushed together, which is pretty normal but the beds slipped apart very easily because of the bottom wheels.
Luckily we spent there just one night...
The breakfast was extensive and rich, so maybe that made up my complete opinion at the end.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Egefjord, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Top Tripadvsior Contributer
Thank you for your review, although you stayed with us back in September 2012. Your Labyrinth comment is true - sometimes old hotels like these comes with a lot of steps and narrow hallways that seem to go on forever. The noise form other guests I do apologize for - we will always be happy to change your room or have a talk to the guests involved so that everyone can have a nice time.
all the best,
Jep Friis Egefjord, GM, Grand Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very close to the Central station so location was ideal. The staff are amazingly helpful and arranged an early check-in for me at no extra cost. The room was a great size for a city centre hotel and the bathroom was huge. The carpets and walls could do with some updating but as I was here on business it really served my purpose ideally. Wi-fi was available and free of charge and I had no connection issues.The Frascati Restaurant which is joined to the hotel is a fantastic Italian, the food is excellent and it represented great value for money. If you have a business trip coming up then the Grand is well worth a look.

Dear UK-traveller
Thank ýou for a thorough review. And for mentioning the free wireless that is very important to me - I change the connections every second year to make sure it works. At the moment I have 4 rooms that cannot be reached by our current connections and that will be corrected in August.
br,
Germany
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed there for one night on a business trip. This hotel is really old. My room was small, the mattress was too soft, the shower did not work properly and the worst thing was, that my room was facing a very loud street, so I had a very bad night with little sleep. And all this for 140 Euro per night... Don't go there if you don't have too.

Dear german traveller
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. In this case I would have hoped you had contacted the reception to change room. Even though it was a very busy period in Copenhagen I know that we could have found a room that suited your needs. Then you would have had both a perfect room and a perfect location in Copenhagen. But I know that sometimes we don't bather as guests to change room so I completely understand your decision.
Enjoy the summer,
Jep Friis Egefjord

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

chicago, IL
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We checked in here yesterday and it was a dump. Receptionist was rude and did not offer words of welcome. No grand entrance, just a street entrance through a door. I may have missed it if my cab driver had not dropped us off at the door. Old building that has seen better times. Just hobbled together. We were given Room 712. I am posting a picture of the light fixture to given you an idea of how bad it is. Of course it is given that most European hotels have no air conditioning. The beds are small and very very soft. So hubby and I ended up with a backache the next morning. I would try and find a better place to stay.

Location is excellent, just a hop away from the Central Station.Free internet which was a boon. We did a lot of our planning lying in bed. We did not have to find a Starbucks for free internet :).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Egefjord, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear guest
Yes, you're right on the money with European Hotels. And it's no secret that the building is from 1892. I'm concerned with the welcoming from my staff that usually is recommmended on Tripadvisor as warm and homelike. I'm very sorry and all guests should have a warm welcome when arriving after a long journey.
Best regards,
London
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this Hotel without having checked on trip advisor. When I read the reviews I was quite worried and wondered what I had let myself in for.

To be fair the hotel is OK. I had a single room and this was on the small side. The bathroom just had a shower and was more like an old fashioned wet room. Yet everything functioned fairly well. There were only two things that I would fault. Firstly that there was no air conditioning and secondly that the curtains in the room were not adequate. I was there two nights before mid-summers eve and it starts to get light at about 2.30am. The curtains were insufficient for keeping the early morning light out.

I had breakfast on 1 day. This was OK. Typically Danish with cheese, meat, fruit and coffee. However Danes don't appear to do decaffeinated coffee so take your own.

Whilst I wouldn't rush back Grand Hotel is perfectly adequate and handy for the main station and for Tivoli Gardens. My favourite hotel in Copenhagen is Hotel Christian IV. Whilst not as imposing as the Grand it is nicer. I would stay there again but not at the Grand.

Room Tip: Go high, there is so traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Egefjord, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear London-traveller
I'm glad you found out that you didn't need to worry. The location is perfect and our prices are fair. I too, think that Hotel Christian IV is a wonderful little hotel. It depends on which location you prefere in Copenhagen:
Queens Castle, Nyhavn, Water, Kings Square
OR
Tivoli Gardens, Main Train Station, City Hall Square
br,
Middletown, Ohio
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were a bit nervous about the Grand Hotel after reading the reviews but we did not have anything negative to say about about the hotel. Hotel staff was very helpful especially Diana. Asked for a quiet room and received one. Had I known it was just 2 minute walk from central station we would have taken the train from airport rather than a cab.

Location made it easy to walk to the sights in the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SW_Ohio_Couple
Dear US-traveller
Thank you for choosing Grand Hotel Copenhagen and complimenting the staff. Diana is very proud to be mentioned on Tripadvisor.
Enjoy Summer,
Jep Friis Egefjord, GM, Grand Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just finished a stay at the Grand hotel Copenhagen and disappointed with what we experienced.

I specifically requested a twin room as I was staying with my mother. When we arrived we were given a double room (two single beds pushed together) We returned to reception and were rudely told by the gentleman on the front desk that we could "easily separate the beds", but then grudgingly told us that he would send the housekeeper up to separate them for us. When we checked again, the headboard was clearly designed for a double bed and separating out the beds would have made them uncomfortable and slightly adrift in the middle of the room. I was told there were no other rooms available, even for an upgraded price (which I would have been willing to pay)

We returned to reception, and I expressed my disappointment at the situation. This time we were helped by a different lady (Diana) who was much more courteous and provided much better service - she was able to secure us a different room which was a dedicated twin with a better layout, and was much more courteous than the rude first gentleman.

Other reviewers have commented on the shabby nature of the hotel and this was clear in the rooms, from the tired fixtures and fittings to the lack of extras which would distinguish this as a four star hotel (I travel a lot for business so I am aware of what the standards should be). Our bathroom was a dingy "wet room" style affair with no space to store toiletries and once one person had had a shower then it was practically unusable as the water did not drain away quickly. Most of the bathroom lights had failed, making it quite dark inside.

The hotel is also in need of some work to bring it up to the standard of other hotels in the 4* bracket. Attention needs to be paid to the little extras, like providing a fridge or a minibar (none in our room) iron (not provided, has to be requested from reception) and other small touches that make a hotel stay feel a bit more like I would expect from a 4 star establishment. I was also disappointed that the hotel chooses to charge a service fee in excess of 35KR for simple items such as having ice delivered to the rooms. These things should be complimentary and I am disappointed that they were not provided.

On the positive side, I was pleased with the free internet and the hotel's excellent location. In future though, I will return to hotels with a tried and trusted brand, where I feel treated as a valued customer, not a nuisance, and rewarded for my loyalty accordingly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family