“great, but I have no point of reference”
Review of Phoenix Copenhagen

Phoenix Copenhagen
Ranked #38 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
birmingham
“great, but I have no point of reference”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Lovely entrance to the hotel, with very clean, pleasant and classy foyer/reception area.

Was on a very very flying visit to CPN so didn't get to spend much time either in the city or at the hotel, but the location of Phoenix Copenhagen seemed to be very good.

As with most people in Copenhagen, the staff were exceptionally service focused, and had fantastic English language skills; so much so it embarrasses me I can get by without a single word of Danish in my arsenal.

The room was well equipped, maybe a little dated (chintzy) but that's me being really picky. Bed was extremely comfortable
I didn't make breakfast but my colleague did and advised it was very good.

Overall, for a flying business trip as mine was, this ticked the boxes. But.. i couldn't say the standard of the hotel or price was typical, or better/worse than anywhere else in the city.

Would I stay here again??? Most likely.

Cheers

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gazfarr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
WALES
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here on a 3 day business trip. I am small - but the room I had on the 3rd floor was so minute and so claustrophobic. There was no room to swing a cat. My colleagues had equally small rooms. To get air at night by opening the windows to my garret meant being overlooked by my neighbours opposite. How it could be described as double I do not know? The plumbing was appalling - it took up to 20 minutes to get hot water out of the shower and the washbasin every day, morning or evening. A bath proved totally impossible. I did complain about the lack of hot water but was told it took a long time for the water to travel to the room! So routine in the morning was to get out of bed, run the shower, and get back into bed while waiting for hot water. For a country which prides itself on design the taps were absolutely antiquated and totally dysfunctional. It would take me 2 hands to open the washbasin tap.

In the UK this hotel, I guess, would be illegal from a disabled access point of view. I have a problem with my back - so to arrive at the hotel and to have to struggle with one's suitcase up a flight of steps, with no help in sight, was not the best of welcomes. I saw a couple struggling with a pram too, so no good for young families either. Same on departure - there was no offer of help with luggage.

On the plus side the duvet was nice, the buffet breakfasts were good and I loved the orchids in the foyer. Information on the front desk, however, was not always reliable - on my last morning I wanted to go the the museum of art and design before leaving for the airport. I was told it was open at 10, when I got there the sign said 11. So disappointment on that front too.

This hotel is in an excellent location and must surely be worth some investment by the owners to get it right. Staff,especially the cleaners, would also be more motivated I believe if the product was improved. It has immense potential, and it is so sad to see such neglect of what could otherwise be a great hotel.

Room Tip: Don't accept a garret room. Ask for room dimensions before you even go up to your room, and chec...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank star2006

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Hillerod, Denmark
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We've stayed at Phoenix 2 times before when having company parties (since we live 55 km away, work is just around the corner).

First time the room was very small, up under the roof - my partner (196 cm height) could not stand up next to the bed.

Second time (december 2010) we got an upgrade, to a nice big room - ground floow with windows towards the backside. Very nice and quiet.

This time we got a small room in the middle of the hotel, windows to a courtyard and on the 1st floor. The room was crampled, 2 single beds and hardly enough space to open our suitcase without putting it on the bed.

The standard is old, worn down. Clearly a lot of money were spend when they rebuild last time - but that must have been 30 years ago based on the tiles, faucet, lights, furniture etc.

The breakfast is the best I've had in Copenhagen. It is really splendid with a lot of choices and freshly made.

Having a hotel room that costs close to 1.200 DKK (after company discount) should include a couple of bottles of water for free. But they charge DKK 35 for ½ liter of ordinary bottled water. Come on! That is simply pathetic of the hotel not to include a bottle per person per day for free.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 24, 2011

THE POSITIVES of this hotel:

The location is excellent, most of the heart of Copenhagen is within walking distance, and it’s a short walk to the metro. The room was quiet except for noise through the doors; we did not hear any noise from the room next to ours, but we could hear conversations outside our door. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were soft, and we got a good night’s sleep. While all hotel rooms in Copenhagen are small, we were fortunate our double room was large enough to fit a king sized bed. There are pants presses attached to the wardrobe closet in the room, which are quite handy to smooth wrinkled clothes. The bathrooms are made with pretty marble tiles. The hotel is reasonably clean overall and the common areas are pretty and very clean. Wireless service is free.

THE NEGATIVES this hotel:

About the facility:

The electrical system in the rooms is very outdated and by American standards could be considered dangerous, with some exposed wiring and electrical extension cords that touch the hot radiator. In order to use any electrical outlet you have to find and flip the switch associated with that outlet – not all switches are next to each outlet. You must also put your room key in a slot on the wall to turn on most of the outlets. None of this is explained in the in-room guidebook provided by the hotel. See the photos for an indication about the electrical system.

This hotel is not for anyone who isn’t in good physical condition nor anyone with disabilities, as there are many features that could be considered hazards.

1) The entrance to the hotel has 10 steps to get to the lobby and no doorman or bellmen to assist with bags.

2) The threshold between bathroom and bedroom is 6 cm/2.4 inches high, and we tripped over it for the first two days. (See photos).

3) As noted in the prior review by BobbyD, the combined shower/bathtub is raised off the floor, making it hazardous to get in and out safely because there are no grab bars or railings. The exterior height of the tub is 60 cm/23.6 inches; the interior depth of the tub is 37 cm/14.6 inches, indicating the tub is raised above floor level by 23 cm/9.1 inches. (See bathroom photos.) Compare those measurements to your tub at home and imagine climbing out of that when wet, without grab bars.

As noted in prior reviews, the everyday cleaning gets done but the rooms need a deep cleaning. There is a build-up of dust around the edges of the room and under the furniture. For details about the built-up grime in the bathrooms, read the review by Phant_11. The bedspread and pillow shams had stains and smelled dirty so I took them off for the duration of our stay.

About the service:

I believe that every good hotel follows this motto: Staff shall not touch a guest or a guest’s property, nor enter an occupied guest room, without express permission from the guest. The Phoenix Copenhagen violated two of those three tenants.

The first day of my stay, I couldn’t get electrical outlets to work, so I called the front desk and asked if someone could show me how to use the complicated switches all over the room. A front desk clerk came up and turned on switches and lamps, rather than explaining the system so I’d know how to use it for the rest of my stay. When I asked him to test the bathroom outlet, for which I had already flipped a switch and didn’t seem to be getting electricity, he picked up my dual voltage travel hair styler, touched a switch on the bottom and said I had forgotten to turn it on. He then left the room and the hair styler started smoking: he had flipped it from 240 volts to 120 volts without asking my permission, and as a result the interior of the hairstyler melted, making it unsafe for futher use. I complained to the front desk manager and she sent up a dish of fruit that would have cost $4 in the US. I told the hotel that they should have paid to replace my hair styler since their employee never asked my permission before he touched it - no response.

As noted in prior reviews by Ozgum, tropicaltravels6, DKBTallinn and Adrian Ross, staff will enter your room without prior warning if you don’t remember to put out a Do Not Disturb sign. There is NO CHAIN LOCK on the doors – you CANNOT keep people out if they have a passkey. At 10:20 am on the second day of my stay (a reasonable time to still be in a hotel room if one is on vacation), while I was naked in the bathroom, with the bathroom door touching the frame but not fully closed, the door to my room opened and a male voice said something from just outside the bathroom door. I yelled “get out” and still just outside the bathroom door the man said something else that was not in clear enough English for me to understand. Terrified, I had to scream “get out of my room now” before he would leave. I immediately called the front desk and reported “a man broke into my room,” and the woman at the desk said she’d send someone up immediately. I threw on some clothes and a minute later another man came to my room to explain that the man who had entered my room was not an intruder, he was simply The Minibar Man who was just trying to do his job, and that I should keep the Do Not Disturb sign on my door if I don’t want people coming in. That was it for an apology. I don’t care what country one is in, that is not an adequate response to a male employee entering a woman’s room without permission, when she is naked and vulnerable.

The hotel has a demonstrated problem with staff entering rooms unannounced and while management has responded to prior TripAdvisor reviews saying they will correct this, it is very clear that the problem is endemic. I strongly advise women travelers to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a quiet room. Preferably at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AmethystTravel
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The staff of this hotel is very friendly. The location is very good - close to the castle, Nyhavn and Strøget.

However, the hotel itself, which at first glance looks quite luxurious, is in need of a little bit of TLC.

The water pressure in the shower of my room was terrible, but the pressure in the faucet was ok. A little bit of DIY showed that the filter in the showerhead was rusted allmost completely shut. I removed the filter and had a nice shower afterwards.

However: Bring extra socks! After the shower, the floor of the bathroom took a long time to dry, so I kept getting my socks wet after the shower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The hotel originally had ambitions of becoming a posh place to go and it is certainly not anything but faux. The hotel is rundown and even before that happened, it is clear that the owners never invested in good material. Things are not what they seem to be.
Furthermore the room lacked a proper closet. Instead there was a small cupboard, probably from Ikea, with no space for shoes and the depth was maximum 40 cm. No place anywhere in the for coats.
The door to the bathroom cannot be kept open. After a bath, when you need to do your makeup the bathroom is damp and you can see nothing in the mirror. You need to put a suitcase against the door to keep it open.
The cleaning of the room was poor. The carpets are worn, full of dust and smelly.
The breakfast is close to being abominable. The breakfast room was not clean. The tables not cleared and the selection poor quality. We used to book for our business guests, before we tried it ourselves. This is not a mistake likely to be made again.

Room Tip: We took a superior room. Do not take anything less. I can not even begin to think how that would be.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Gibraltar
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stay here twice a year with work and have done for the last 4 years, every time I am greeted with a warm welcome from the hotel staff, service is quick and professional. The hotel is located in a very nice part of town just by the famous canal with restaurants either side, the hotel is very well known to Taxi Drivers as it's popular with the UN given it's close proximity to the UN HQ Buildings which are 5 mins taxi away. Breakfast is nice and the hotel bar also serves quality drinks in a warm cosy atmosphere. The rooms are on the small side though and are of an old fashioned style, not normally my style but it fits the Danish surroundings! Overall you would not be dissapointed with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business