“A Life Saver”

Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A Life Saver”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband fractured his hip in Copenhagen and I had to fly out very quickly. I booked this hotel without looking at any reviews because it was situated right on the railway station. Travelling alone I wanted to access transport quickly and from here it's right over the road. I could get to the hospital easily and quickly. The staff in the hotel could not have been more helpful in getting me sorted with trains to get to the hospital and were very kind and understanding. For me it was the perfect place. I felt safe and have to say although the rooms were a bit old and probably could have done with a bit of a touch up they were clean and functioned.The breakfast was good and there was plenty of choice. It's not a 5 star hotel but if you are going to Copenhagen for a short trip/holiday it's perfect if all you are looking for is a bed to sleep in and breakfast in the morning! Oh and the trains do go by but it didn't stop me sleeping and I noticed they don't run through the night

Room Tip: try and get the side away from the rail line
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wizard0fId

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Is it really possible to run such a shabby business in Copenhagen?!?!?! That is what I thought and precisely what I asked the manager. He tried to act surprised, but could see that he was used to such comments.

I checked into the room late evening first week of October 2013 and a stench is what caught my nose by force the moment I stepped into the room. Was not very difficult to trace its root to the toilet/bath. I opened the door to the toilet, some how turned on the light using the nearly broken switch and was shocked by what I saw (attached are some photographs to let you know a part of the terrible experience I had). The wash basin had cracks all over, had a tap that has never been washed for many years, had rust all over and some insects running around!!!!! I looked all over and found the same state of things in the bath tub too. And the stench/odour was all over! I had to struggle not to vomit then and there.

After regaining senses, I had a look at the rest of the room. In my last 13 years of travelling across Europe, I have never seen such a dirty and ill maintained hotel room. Doors broken, mirrors cracked, paint coming off the wall, dust on the carpet, soil/grease on the chairs, and any thing dirty that you can imagine. After a looong flight, I had no energy for a fight and so decided to just shut my nose and sleep on the dirty bed in that pathetic room. I am still unable to figure out how can a room at 1200 DKK plus per night be offered in that shape to a customer!

Next day morning I complained to the manager. And he told me that I can write that on some piece of paper kept in the room when I check out! So kind of him! How ever, after a couple of hours he found a new room for me. This one was better without the stench, but rest of the story was the same.

And as if all this was not enough, the whole hotel shakes every time a train passes through the tracks aside. And yes, railway track is just 3 or 4 metres off the wall of the hotel building!

Dear fellow travellers, you can sleep on the street. But not in 'hotel Osterport'!

Room Tip: I used room 319. If I have to choose between an electric chair and room 319 in this hotel, I will ha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AnoopPV

Travelers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Frederikshavn, Denmark
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our stay was ok (room 305) but you have to go to the trainstation to buy coffey. Breakfast also good but to much water in the juice. And the internet is very slow. There is only 5 local TV-channels.
A thing that worries me, is that we payed more than the bookingprice when we checked-out, so we sent an email to the reception with the right price, when we came home - but they haven't e-mailed us back....where is our money??

Room Tip: We had room 305 - a dobbeltrom not far from the reception and on the other side of the trains.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FamilyJensen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

By Copenhagen standards this hotel is reasonably priced. My room was basic and not very big, some of the fitted furniture was a little scuffed but it was very clean. The public areas were comfortable and attractive with plenty of room to sit and lounge, work or read before going to bed. The buffet breakfast was plentiful.

Although next to the railway (my room overlooked it) with the windows closed the trains didn't keep me awake.

Very well positioned within about 15 to 20 minutes brisk walk to the center of Copenhagen and right next to Osterport rail station.

I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you come by train this hotel is situated only a couple of yards from the station. That is convenient but on the other hand trains make a lot of noice. My recommendation is to book a room away from the rails. We were placed there from the beginning but managed to change thanks to a friendly receptionist. Also watch out if you cannot sleep with your partner in a grandlit that is one big bed. Most of the rooms have these beds. The standard over all was normal and the breakfast ok.

Room Tip: Room on the left hand side of the corridor away from the rails.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I almost feel my review is unnecessary because other travelers have already said what needs to be said about this hotel. So to reiterate, It's appearance is two stars at best. The service is lacking. When we checked in the person at the desk ignored us for about five minutes and then quickly dismissed us once he gave us the keys. There was no instruction of Wifi (which rarely works), breakfast (a big upcharge), checkin/checkout procedures, as you might expect. Our room was dingy and smelt like vinegar. The only 'toiletries' supplied by the hotel is a wall mounted soap dispenser, which they claim is good for hair and body. BRING YOUR OWN. The location is good for seeing the Little Mermaid and walking around the Kastellet park - also good if you're traveling in and out of town by train. However, there are no metro lines connecting you with sites in the city center. We were a little aggravated by the transportation by the end of the trip. The noise, as some travelers have mentioned, did not bother us, but we were on the far side of the building. Overall much could be improved. It is ridiculous that this is the quality you get for that much money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Being located opposite Osterport Station means you can get to-from the airport and other locations in Copenhagen cheaply and easily. Oh, and there is free wifi.

That's where the good bit ends.

As you can see from photos supplied, the building is laid out RIGHT beside the railway tracks. Of course this means it is noisy and it is the only hotel I have ever stayed in that provides ear plugs in every room. I was reminded of the scene in the original Blues Brothers film where Elwood takes his brother back to his room. There is no record player or facility in the room to make dry toast, but otherwise very similar. Google "Blues Brothers Elwood's room" for details.

The rooms are small and poorly constructed, with flimsy sticking wardrobe doors. The atmosphere is like a school dormitory, or more likely an open prison. In fact, some Danish prisons are better furnished than this hotel. I say open prison, only because the walls might not be thick enough to prevent a determined escapee from making a break for it.

Normally, this sort of establishment would fall under the category of somewhere cheap and convenient to stay. That is, until you consider the price. I paid a little over US$240 for the one night I stayed here (best available online price), which equates to absolutely the worst value for money of any place I have ever stayed. But this is Copenhagen, which suffers from a serious shortage of hotel rooms, with the inevitable consequences. Assuming you can find a hotel at all at short notice, then this might be the best you can get. That said, staying in say, Bangkok, you could expect similar standard of accomodation in a hotel paid for by the hour. Allegedly.

Staff were quite helpful. After all, it's not their fault.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front mean your bed is 5 metres from the tracks, while at the back, it is 10 metres fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business