“Disorganized and Disappointing Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour.(Red Bus)”

City Sightseeing Copenhagen
Copenhagen Shore Excursion: City Sightseeing Copenhagen Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #47 of 199 Tours in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: City Sightseeing - the world's leading sightseeing concept in open-top bus - is of course also to be found in Copenhagen. The tours are guided in up to 8 languages ​​that you choose via the audio system. With up to 3 routes and 21 stops you can hop on and off as much as you like and exactly the 'Hop on hop off' the idea is that you decide what you want to take a closer look at and perhaps indulge in - and entirely at your own pace. The stops along the routes are by all the best sights and attractions that Copenhagen has to offer.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I took this tour on a recent day in Copenhagen when the younger members of my family decided to rent bicycles and go off on a long ride.

As tours goes this one was quite disappointing. First, the starting point is poorly marked and hard to find, then, after buying my ticket I realized that, according to the flyer I was given, on the day I was using taking the tour, the final bus was scheduled to begin it's run at 2:45 which meant that although the ticket is supposedly "good for 24 hours", the bus is not even in service for much of that 24 hour period and the time you can actually spend at the various attractions is severly limited by the need to catch the final bus of the day.

The commentary is delivered by pre-recorded audio and for much of the tour it was hard to figure out what building etc. they were actually talking about, of course there could be no questions or clarification because there was no real guide.

If you want a tour of Copenhagen my advice is to save youir money and take a canal boat tour which is cheaper, gives a better view of the cities attractions, and has a real live guide.

1  Thank gardencat13

Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you are arriving in Copenhagen via a Cruise Ship and planning on using the Hop On, Hop Off bus, be prepared for an "over sold & a tour filled with delays" experience. We used the "Red Bus".

The bus serves the pier, and as such is very convenient. However, the buses are not frequent enough to handle all who wanted to board. Once on board, the driver had to also deal with those groups that bought a "block ticket" and then wanted to travel at their own pace. A "two minute" stop turned into at least 20 minutes.

When we have used a similar service in the past, we have stayed on the bus for a complete circuit (usually and hour) and then decided as to the stops that we really wanted to see. On this day in Copenhagen, the first circuit took about 2 + hours. We finally did get off the bus, did some limited sight seeing/shopping and decide to board again "early" as we were fearful that the buses close to sailing time would be full. As it turned out, we were lucky to get a seat on the bus!

If you are arriving by cruise ship, this mode of sightseeing is not recommended in Copenhagen. I did email my concerns to the company and received no response. This was an expensive lesson!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

A good tour if you have limited time in Copenhagen. We took this in the morning before our cruise as it started at 9:30 AM and ended at 12:00. A free shuttle bus picked us up at our hotel at 8:30 & dropped us off at the bus for the city tour located across from Tivoli. The city tour by bus was 1 1/2 hours and used headsets which gave you an overview of the city.

We then went to the harbor area for our canal cruise of 1 hour with a guide who was very good. Really enjoyed the canal portion of this tour. At the end of the tour, you are not taken back to your hotel, but we used the Metro & was an easy, low cost way to return.

We booked this online before we arrived but could have booked at our hotel.

1  Thank Sunshine7731
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was in Copenhagen twice in the last one year. The first time I took the Viator HOHO bus. Unfortunately, the ground operator that Viator sub-contracted for this tour was far below expectations and I was left dissatisfied. So the second time I decided to take the DFDS canal tour. It was definitely worth the money and the time. Spending an hour on the water during a sunny afternoon is a very nice way to enjoy Copenhagen city.

Having done both the trips, I would strongly recommend the canal trip. The Viator HOHO tour does not deliver what it writes in its web-site..

1  Thank Pathin
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We paid for the 'Step on, Step Off' tour company. Complete waste of time and money. Their schedule is too slow. When the cruise ships are in they add 15mins to all their times. We waited over a hour at one stop, and whilst we waited 3 of the green 'Hop on Hop off' buses stopped. We spent the rest of our day walking in Copenhagen. I've put the 25euro ticket per person, down as tourist tax. Don't bother with the red Step on Step off buses.

1  Thank N N