“The best lunch ever in CPH”

Restaurant Schoennemann
Ranked #26 of 2,499 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Danish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

The finest Danish traditional lunch I've ever had. Acclaimed to be one of the oldest lunch spots and best, and it didn't disappoint. The service was fantastic, the food fresh, hit and delicious. The Carlsberg cold and the Snaps divine. A must go if you are visiting Copenhagen. Bon Apetit!

1  Thank atlpurcy
There are newer reviews for Restaurant Schoennemann

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This place serves traditional Danish lunch. Definitely worth a visit. Be aware that the price is not in the low end. TRy the Danish speciality "Stjerneskud".

Reviewed February 7, 2012

After my lunch at Schoennemann, I can absolutely understand why Rene Redzepi chooses to eat here when he's not working. I am neither wealthy nor organised enough to have secured a table at Noma, but this understated and cosy traditional spot in the centre of Copenhagen more than fulfilled my expectations of Danish gastronomy. Having booked less than a week in advance for one of the two seatings at lunchtime (and I really would recomend booking as it was heaving) I now consider myself fortunate to have got in at all. The locals are all savvy to this exceptional place, strangely overlooked by most of the style bibles of travel and global grazing. This is very much like the denizens of Copenhagen though, reticent to holler their own praises and surprised when you find much to like in their lovely city. The normal procedure at this place is to order two smorrebrod from the huge menu, and perhaps a shnapps and a beer to go with it. We were amazed at the quantity of food and drink the Danes put away, but interestingly, it seems to be mostly at lunchtime. All dishes looked appetizing, but my choice of local plaice with remoulade followed by smoked eel with jerusalem artichoke pureed and deep fried left me extremely content. The beer and schnapps menu is huge, but the charming staff are very happy to help you negotiate it. In fact, they seem happy full stop. Portions are large, but the Danes would expect nothing less, I am sure. With many restaurants there is usually a component of the meal that is slighty under par - at Schoennemann everything was exceptional - ambience, staff and food. I can't recommend this place highly enough, but do book ahead - its popular for good reasons. We rolled out of the restaurant around £65 lighter, but it was worth every penny!

1  Thank LeGourmand
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This place is superb. It is only open for lunch through till 5ish and serves the very best traditional Danish food you will find in Copenhagen.
From the minute you enter there is a real warmth and friendly welcome offer and all of the staff are on hand to sdvise and offer guidance on not only the food but also th incredible array of aquavit and schnapps on offer to complemet your meal.
My wife and I chosse the danish buffet which was theree courses of three open sandwhiches and a cheese course to finish. Everysingle offering tasted delightful and was so fresh and bursting with flavour. Our first plate was all about herring, the scond had one halibut, one crayfish and one eel sandwhich. The halibut was sensational. The final plate featured tongue, duck and beef. There was not one dish that my wife and I could find fault with.
We had a glass each of the beer the restaurant brew themselves which wqs dark and very tasty plus a couple of well recommended aquavits to complement our food.
The restuirant was packed the entire time we were there and it is definately advised to book ahead. The big thing that stood out for me was the the majority of customers were all Danish and that speaks volumes!!

2  Thank Snakeboy10
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Our Danish friends invited us to lunch at a restaurant recently elected best lunch place in Copenhagen for smorrebrod. We have visited many, and our personal favourite (still) is Kanalcaféen. However, this busy restaurant is also packed with people, no tourists, and lots of businessmen. The disadvantage as compared to Kanalcaféen is that they have two seatings, so you can't sit for a long time talking and enjoying the company of your friends. But that is the only disadvantage. Food is absolutely excellent. Very elegant smorrebrod of all varieties. Someone says a hidden gem of a restaurant, and yes, it truly is!

2  Thank JanochBarbro