“perhaps the worst hotel ever”

AC Hotel Bella Sky Copenhagen
Ranked #20 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“perhaps the worst hotel ever”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Be prepared for an experience akin to staying in a very small dorm room at a college with terrible dining facilities and a total lack of service.

The first room I was given was shoebox-sized. Willing to pay more for whatever they had, the only available room was marginally larger, with a closet that was one foot wide, with a single shelf inside the closet and no other drawers for storage.

There were three hangers inside the closet, none of which had a bar for hanging trousers. I made a total of 5 requests over the next two days for additional hangers. Three times they told me they would be there right away (didn't happen), once they told me they were "out of hangers", and finally I was brought 2 additional hangers at the end of my second day there.

There is no button on the phone for calling housekeeping, and if you try to call the front desk, you are typically on hold for at least 5 minutes. On two occasions, the call just disconnected eventually.

Housekeeping was terrible- they left used glasses sitting on the table two days in a row, and just hung up dirty wet towels from the floor in the bathroom. Even after I left a note to ask "please remove these glasses", they were left. When I called down to have the glasses removed and the towels replaced, I came back to find the glasses on the floor outside my room and the towels still in the bathroom.

The restaurant food is terrible, and if there is a convention going on (I am here right now for one), eating spaces for lunch and dinner are completely sold out- since you are miles away from the city, that is clearly a problem. I obtained a pre made sandwich for lunch in the lobby bar/restaurant today and when I asked for mayonnaise, after about 15 minutes I was told that the hotel was out of mayonnaise.

If you have to attend a convention here, by all means, book a decent hotel in the city and take the Metro or a cab back and forth- unless you want to relive some horrible summer camp experience from your youth. After a breakfast of cold and unsavoury scrambled eggs this morning, I was tempted to ask if I was on kitchen duty today.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Christopher R
BellaSkyComwell, Guest Relations Manager at AC Hotel Bella Sky Copenhagen, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Christopher R,
Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to give us feedback. We always strive to give our guests the best experience at our hotel, and we are therefore very sorry for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. Your comments have been forwarded to the respective departments who will follow up on your feedback. Please contact us at guestrelations@bellasky.dk for further feedback.
Thank you again for your review. Your comments are highly valuable to us.
Best regards,
Bella Sky Comwell.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Attended a conference here in November 2013. This is a massive imposing building in what could best be described an an industrial waste-land. It was winter but that only added to the imposing, grey & soullessness of this hotel. The conference facilities were vast & lacked intimacy. the dining area was more like a factory than somewhere to eat. The rooms were stark & minimalist as you would expect in Scandinavia, the land of Ikea, G plan and the like. Hard to judge fully as this was conference time, but if I was staying in Copenhagen again, I'd give this a huge body swerve. like something from Bladerunner!

Room Tip: Rotten views all round
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pete B
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I am not sure it is a Danish culture not to smile or it is just not his day.

I was standing in front of the library restaurant front counter on the ground level, asking the brown-haired waiter "excuse me". To my surprise, he didn't beat an eye lid off his cashier and was punching some table number.
So I waited. After a few seconds, he just walked off without uttering a word to me, without signaling a hand gesture asking me to wait! He saw me but just refused to acknowledge me. Even other customers who are sitting on e front row were smirking. I felt so embarrassed!

I do not want to think that he was being rude or racist or just ignorant. But seems like he was.

I then proceeded to the front desk to enquire about the breakfast restaurant and timing. The lady at the front desk was pleasant.

This kinda welcome in Denmark? Or Copenhagen? Not a nice gesture. Super disappointed when I came back to my room.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank huizeer
BellaSkyComwell, Guest Relations Manager at AC Hotel Bella Sky Copenhagen, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Huizer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Your experience at our hotel is very far from what we accept and is absolutely not standard behavior. Our goal, and what we strive for every day, is to make our guests feel their best at our hotel and to provide a very high service level to all our guests.

We are very sorry if the service you experienced in the restaurant was unacceptable. We feel it is necessary to underline that no one from our staff would ever generalize another human being based on skin color, religion or sexual orientation - it is one of the principles in our CSR code of conduct to our suppliers as well. At the hotel we have staff employed from all over the world which we are very proud.

Thank you again for your comments. You are welcome to contact us at guestrelations@bellasky.dk for further feedback.

Have a nice summer,

Best regards,
Bella Sky Comwell
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel in Copenhagen.

Rooms are very large and extremely well appointed. Very modern minimal decoration with an electric blind and hd tv. Shower-room was exceptional with the best shower i have ever used, very powerful and hot. Bed is large and very comfortable.

Hotel is very striking and well designed, breakfast has a wide selection and can get quite busy but there is plenty of seats and the food is replaced quickly.

Can i stress that although this is a little but outside the centre it is very quick in the rapid transit system and you can be in the centre in 3 stops (8 mins) this did not make any difference to us and you can buy a travel card for 72 hours that costs approx £25.

There is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel (see the hotels website for details) but note that you MUST book your return journey from the hotel to the airport in advance as there is only approx 16 seats and they fill up fast. We asked to book at 11am and they were fully booked until 7pm so we had to get a taxi.
Overall an exceptional hotel i look forward to staying here again next time i an in Copenhagen.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NI84
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is very close to the airport. There is a convenient free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. This is a newer hotel next to the new convention center and rooms are very quiet and well insulated. Rooms are very small and the bathroom is extremely small. The bathroom sink is very small but has a large faucet so it is difficult to not splash water everywhere. The hotel does not seem to provide Kleenex which we found strange. The shower is very European and water gets all over the floor of the bathroom. Rooms have AC but the system could not keep the room temperature down. The hotel staff are friendly but there is no concierge so you must wait in a long line of people checking in and checking out in order to ask a question. The hotel is situated on the metro line but you are about 15 minutes outside of the downtown tourist area. Breakfast is included with the room and is a large buffet with a wide selection of food.. There are lots of large tour groups and conventions staying there so the restaurant feels like a crowded college cafeteria. The hotel has a nicely appointed fitness room that I used daily. There is a large shopping mall within walking distance of the hotel but it was unimpressive by American standards. The mall does have a large grocery store which is useful. And lastly, rooms have free wifi that works very well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Michele G
BellaSkyComwell, Guest Relations Manager at AC Hotel Bella Sky Copenhagen, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Michele G,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback and for complementing our staff. If you are up for shopping and sightseeing and want to go the center of Copenhagen, the Metro station is only a 3 minutes’ walk from Bella Sky Comwell – 5 stops and you are downtown. Thank you again for your comments, they are highly valuable to us.
Best Regards,
Bella Sky Comwell
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Check in was very good and the reception girl was lovely we asked for a room on the higher floors which she offered us.
Very good location from the airport with free reliable shuttle bus. Near to the metro to get down town.
Rooms clean and bright. A little basic but every thing you required was thought of.
Breakfast was very busy. Very few staff at breakfast because everything was self service however no problems lots of choice and tables were cleared away immediately.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank julie r
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in June 2014 for work. It was an OK hotel. A bit outside of the city center but easy to get to by the metro which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. The rooms are very nice and clean, but the wifi is very poor - being that I traveled here for work, it was a bit inconvenient. I know this is a minor detail/complaint but the elevators in the hotel took a very long time, if you were in the other tower you'd have to switch and then wait again for the other elevator (there are a lot of floors). The hotel staff also were using the elevators, so if the elevator was full you'd have to wait again. I believe this is a 4 star hotel, but I would expect better service. Not many options for room service at the hotel either. Overall, I think you could get a better deal, with better service closer to the city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business